• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If you can find a group that plays a pre-3.0 version of D&D or Retroclone would you:

If you could find a group that plays an older version of D&D or Retroclone would you:

Jack Colby

First Post
Kind of a weird poll question, since I do play older editions as well as a regular 4E game, but... of course I'd play a long-term campaign with an older set of rules. No matter the edition, the game is no less fun with a DM and players who are into it. It's kinda' silly to turn down fun because of what number is on the cover of the rulebook.

D&D DAVE

First Post
I would sign up for the long haul, no need to learn the rules as these are games that I started out playing. AD&D was so quick and fun to play that as I type the memories of playing it makes me smile.

That’s it, I am going to dig out my old books and blow the dust off them and introduce our games group’s younger players to an 'Old School' game.

I was wondering today if lack of groups to play with is holding back the growth pace somewhat...older as in pre-3.0
Lack of interest is what is holding me back. ;)

If there was a group, and I didn't have another group, I might try it.

In fact, we recently played an "old school game" - Dragon Warriors, because the DM decided to run something of it. But it's still not what we are primarily interested in.

I started with 2E DnD but I'm very open to playing older stuff. When 3E came out, I really enjoyed the changes they made. Feats, Multi-classing, skill points were all welcomed additions in my mind.

Having aged a bit, I see (and I'm even called to) the simplicity of the pre-3E characters. I find that myself drawn to rolling 3d6 and seeing what the dice give me. That randomness is very appealing to me.

I'm not against 4E, but pre-3E is a very different gaming experience that I enjoy as well. If I want epic story telling and want to right a big back story from a character, I'll play a 4E game. If I want a grim and gritty setting where the characters aren't protected by the system, I'm likely to suggest 2E or older.

Again, I enjoy both and think both have their place :D

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
"If I could find..." suggests that I am looking specifically for a game in an older edition, which I am not.

Generally, what game is being played is not my first concern when considering joining a group. My first thoughts are about the character of the players. If they are a cool bunch, they are likely to make even a less-than-grand system fun. If they aren't a cool bunch, playing even my favorite of all systems is not going to be a draw for me.

If a cool bunch of people asked me to play in a game that happened to be an older edition, the edition would not be much of a barrier.

Sunderstone

First Post
I would sign up for a long term AD&D campaign in a heartbeat as long as it started with the classic ToEE.

I wouldnt stop playing 3.5/PF but Id love to go back to AD&D as a secondary campaign. I miss the simplicity at times.

I would sign up for a long term AD&D campaign in a heartbeat as long as it started with the classic ToEE.

I wouldnt stop playing 3.5/PF but Id love to go back to AD&D as a secondary campaign. I miss the simplicity at times.

Funny you should mention that, I ordered T1 and T1-4 just to do this (assuming I can't find a group to join).

Remove ads