• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If you can find a group that plays a pre-3.0 version of D&D or Retroclone would you:

If you could find a group that plays an older version of D&D or Retroclone would you:

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Cadfan, perhaps you could give specific examples of the "bad things"?

Certainly, different games will play differently, and so a mechanic that might be "bad" in one game might very well be "good" in another. For example, oWoD had a particulary poor combat system, but it was all right because the main theme of the games involved more politics outside of combat. If I wanted a combat-heavy game, I wouldn't play oWoD.

One of the things about 4e that has disappointed me is that it feels to me as more of a game and less of a world. I look for more world immersion, and I find that 4e's mechanics regularly make me break my suspension of disbelief. I could simply come up with a bunch of house rules to fix it... or I could use a previous edition that does not suffer in that way as much.

In this way, I feel that the previous edition is a better choice, when that sort of game is what I'm looking for.

I... kind of hate the alleged "old school revolution." I think its bad for gaming as a whole...I just feel like some important gaming technology is in the hands of people who don't fully understand it...

Now I feel guilty for squandering important gaming technology. :p

C'mon man, people having fun is bad for gaming? Dr. Philotomy recommends a beer, some perspective, and an evening of gaming with some friends (it won't hurt my feelings if you play 4e).

Tewligan

First Post
The old school afficianados have a nostalgic connection to the older games that causes them to assume that it was the older game itself that was fun, and not just the good parts being fun in spite of the bad parts.
Yes, that is probably the case. All of us folks who enjoy the older editions are just blinded by nostalgia and unable to see that some of the rules we like are actually badwrongrules.

Also, read and embrace my sig.
I just feel like some important gaming technology is in the hands of people who don't fully understand it,
GOOD LORD, GET THAT IMPORTANT TECHNOLOGY OUT OF THE HANDS OF THOSE DODDERING OLD MORONS BEFORE THEY RUIN IT!!!

Bumbles

First Post
Seriously? Isn't that too fundamentalist? Please say you're joking.

Yes, much of my commentary has been flippant, which is why I clarified that I was serious about the suggestion of adding the option. Don't know why you think that's fundamentalist, me, I just think it's an option that should be included. People may be interested in doing just that. In fact, a couple of the posts already seem to be going that direction, though some of it may be less than serious...

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Yes, much of my commentary has been flippant, which is why I clarified that I was serious about the suggestion of adding the option. Don't know why you think that's fundamentalist, me, I just think it's an option that should be included. People may be interested in doing just that. In fact, a couple of the posts already seem to be going that direction, though some of it may be less than serious...

The OP appears to be serious in the question.

If "re-education" is meant as a joke, then it's not really appropriate because it dilutes the OP's intent (nothing stopping your own poll, of course).

If "re-education" is meant seriously, then it indicates a belief that one's opinion (about a game) is more valid than another's opinion, and that it is appropriate to force someone to change their mind. That opinion, when involving a fully voluntary activity that does not infringe on others' voluntary activities, is fundamentalist, the fundamental being that one system is inherently superior in all circumstances to another system. In the interest of maintaining the open atmosphere here at ENWorld, such an option, if serious, is inappropriate.

Therefore, the inclusion of "re-education camps" as an option in this poll is inappropriate. Feel free to open your own, though.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads