If you could only play one---

Keith Lamond

Villager
Race is hard, but based on the class I'm going Tiefling Warlock. The different patrons, pacts, and invocations make a Warlock one of the most versatile classes in D&D.

jgsugden

Legend
Human bard. You can build a human bard that feels like a rogue, a fighter, a wizard or a cleric ... it is jut the most versatile option.

Geeknamese

Explorer
Well, it’s seems obvious that most people like playing humans so I’m not mentioning that. My favorite race other than human that I’ve played frequently are the monster races of hobgoblin and goblins. Along with the added challenge for RP, I really love the depth and flavor of hobgoblin culture. In terms of classes, if I could play only one it would be the Cleric and especially the new Order Domain Cleric as that would fit perfectly with the hobgoblin ethos.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Human ranger, because Aragorn - I read The Hobbit and LOTR right as I was discovering roleplaying via D&D. I read a bunch of Tarzan novels around the same time, so a lot of my early characters were "noble guy who lives in the forest".

Wulffolk

Explorer
Human Barbarian 1 / Bard (College of Valor) X . . . I love the image of a Northman Skald who's primary motivation is witness heroic deeds of valor as inspiration to craft a great saga. Shouting down his foes as he cleaves their flesh and banging his shield to inspire his allies.

Dwarf Fighter / Bard (College of Valor) . . . Inspired by the Dwarf Slayers of WarHammer, his purpose is to fund a "good death" at the hands of a great foe. He keeps failing to die, by killing whatever beast fails to live up to his expectation as an overwhelming enemy.

Half-Elf Paladin Oath of the Ancients. I have always loved the idea of a "green knight" of fey ancestry protecting the noble beasts of the wild.

I obviously failed to read the title of the thread or follow the request to choose only one option. I am surprised that nobody called me out on it. This is the internet, home of self-righteous indignation and hyperbolic condemnation after all.

Anyways, I if i had to pick one thing to actually be I suppose that I would go with an Elf for the extended life expectancy of at least half a millennia and Wizard to have the power to enjoy it. Maybe a Drow just to be edgy, but I would have to be a good Drow so I could be a unique little snowflake. Actually, I remember creating a Drow Wizard shortly after the original Fiend Folio came out, because they actually had a section on creating stats. Of course, that was long before Drizz't hit the bookshelves.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
I obviously failed to read the title of the thread or follow the request to choose only one option. I am surprised that nobody called me out on it. This is the internet, home of self-righteous indignation and hyperbolic condemnation after all.

Anyways, I if i had to pick one thing to actually be I suppose that I would go with an Elf for the extended life expectancy of at least half a millennia and Wizard to have the power to enjoy it. Maybe a Drow just to be edgy, but I would have to be a good Drow so I could be a unique little snowflake. Actually, I remember creating a Drow Wizard shortly after the original Fiend Folio came out, because they actually had a section on creating stats. Of course, that was long before Drizz't hit the bookshelves.

I remember the weird rule for rolling drow now that you mention it! Memories...

I think for me the variant human warlock is the go to. Have had a couple of them. All of my warlocks have been blade pact but unlike the "standard plan" I always take utility or additional skills (e.g. mask of many faces, misty visions etc.) so as not to be a one trick pony.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
For me its the Human Fighter. You can do anything with them, fit everywhere, no special enemity with another people etc

As a cook, I see Human and Fighter like flour and water: both are boring and dull as hell, but the mix of both of those elements is the base of many wonderful and unexpected results.

Remove ads