• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If you like RPG, surely you've seen The Gamers movies. Right?

rpgresearch

Explorer
I am amazed how many avid role-playing gamers I run into that haven't even heard of The Gamers movies by Dead Gentlemen Productions and Zombie Orpheus Entertainment members.

If you love role-playing games, you definitely should have seen The Gamers movies.

Love 'em or hate 'em, if you like RPG, they are worth watching.

How do you like the different ones? Which was your favorite? What do you think of their efforts to create The Gamers: The Series? They also make Journey Quest, how do you like those movies?

If you like RPG, and you haven't heard or seen The Gamers movies (gasp!), here is information to start your binge watching fun: http://rpgresearch.com/blog/if-you-love-rpg-you-must-see-the-gamers

I am bummed their Kickstarter for The Gamers: Natural 20 was cancelled. Did anyone here even know about the KS?

Just surprised how few RPGers actually seem to know about these shows, and curious why that may be.

Looking forward to dialog on these topics.

Happy Gaming!

9879379167306856485.jpg

Jhaelen

First Post
I kinda liked the first movie but I'm not really interested in watching a sequel or even a TV series. I'd expect the jokes to get old really fast.

delericho

Legend
How do you like the different ones? Which was your favorite?

The second is my favourite. It really benefits from being more polished than the first, while I found the third was overly preachy. (Yes, I agreed with the point they were trying to make, but I felt it got in the way of the comedy. And it was the comedy that I was actually interested in.)

What do you think of their efforts to create The Gamers: The Series?

I wish them well, but don't hold out much hope - both because it's an enormous challenge to do something like that at all (never mind well), and also because I fear the joke will get old rather too quickly.

They also make Journey Quest, how do you like those movies?

Never seen them.

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
Yes, I've seen The Gamers, but that was years after I started gaming, and don't call me Shirley. I was interested in The Gamers 2: Dorkness Rising, but have not seen it. Until reading this topic I didn't know about The Gamers: Natural 20.

rpgresearch

Explorer
I've tried watching three of them, found them all pretty "meh". Not completely dreadful, but I'd never recommend them to anyone. From my own experiences, all my friends have heard about The Gamers but generally have a similar opinion too.

If I do decide to recommend RPG themed films to people, I go for the following:

Of course, tastes for shows are definitely very individual (eye of the beholder), so of course the following is just my opinion...
Especially because of my research work, I have seen a lot of very insulting movies about gamers, most were probably not made by RPGers, while The Gamers movies by Dead Gentlemen and Zombie Orpheus seemed to be labors of love, with a lot of tongue in cheek of course, and one of the few that was not being downright mean-spirited about gamers.

* There is a terrible "Gamers" move by Sideshow Productions, that is absolutely horrible and mocking of gamers. Any chance this is being confused by some?

The movies I think have been to varying degrees poor to terrible representations of gamers, and found to be anywhere from just boring and focusing on too many of the inculcated dysfunctional negative stereotypes about gamers (that research has for the most part disproved as far as the larger gamer population as a whole) to downright horrible and mocking (they vary between tabletop RPG, LARP, and computer-based RPG):
* The Dungeon Masters
* Role Models
* Lloyd the Conqueror
* Screw It, I'll play make believe
* Dungeon Crawl
* THAC0
* The Assemblage of the Crystal Sphere
* Second Skin
* Monster Camp
* Unicorn City
* Darkon
* UberGoober

Not as bad:
* Gamerz with a z was better than those in the above list, but didn't enjoy as much as The Gamers.
* Knights of Badassdom, I actually liked the first part, until the horror film part kicked in, and the butchered editing that happened with the release. :)

While not shows dedicated to RPG, representations of RPG in TV and movies has also for the most part been further reinforcing of the inculcated negative stereotypes about RPGers (Big Bang Theory, Commmunity, etc.).

The D&D movies, while gaming based in origin, don't exactly work as representations of role-playing gaming itself. There are many fantasy films that could be discussed along those lines. Of course the First D&D movie was a disappointment for many. :)

I have not heard of Astropia, I will check that out. Thanks Fasckira!
I found Unicorn city boring, and also yet again propagating so many negative stereotypes.
Definitely welcome additional suggestions from others.
Sorry to hear that The Gamers movies didn't resonate for you, it does seem to vary between folks.

I was actually in (2 small roles) the third movie Hands of Fate. As a "Cass Fanboy" (tall one in the tan sweater), and as Pirate #2 (hauled the GM's girlfriend to the pirate jail).
While the production quality of the first Gamers was rough, they were film students then and just roughing out the concept. The production quality has been better with each successive film. For me, what is the most fun is all the gamer in-jokes, and having gamed sine 1979, it will take a long time before they use up all the potential material. :)

Relatively inexperienced and non-RPGers really don't get much of it, even if they are mildly entertained, but veteran RPGers get far more of that. Of course, whether that connects for them, definitely varies.

The third The Gamers movie they did a great job from a technical perspective, but for me was a little disappointing, though still well worth watching and very good production quality. It was personally a little disappointing because it was more a mix of RPG and collectible card games, and I personally haven't ever liked the whole CCG/TCG thing, while fans of that medium seem to have liked it very much, as you have indicated. Some people have commented how it strongly connected for them because of the specific card game and the issues represented therein.

The extended edition of Hands of Fate I think is even better than the regular cut, it has more time spent on relationships and other interesting parts, that has also made it more accessible and enjoyable for non-gamers that have watched it. I agree about the almost "preachy" feeling of the third one, it feels more like an extended info-mercial for the card game, while the extended felt like a more well-rounded story.

The cyber-based short, Natural One, was fun, and they just tried a Kickstarter for a sequel, but not enough people knew about it, so they had to cancel it unfortunately.

Last edited:

Love the Gamers movies. If anyone ever has the opportunity to see The Gamers Live, I highly recommend it. They really do shine in an improv environment.

Unicorn City and Astropia are also both very cool.

On the converse, let me warn everyone away from Zero Charisma. What makes the previous movies work is a clear love and affection for gaming and gamers (but with plenty of awareness of our quirks). Zero Charisma has none of it, and is just a pit of negativity.

Fasckira

First Post
* Knights of Badassdom, I actually liked the first part, until the horror film part kicked in, and the butchered editing that happened with the release. :)

The horror bit took me by surprise completely but yeah, that ending... :(

I have not heard of Astropia, I will check that out. Thanks Fasckira!

Don't get your hopes up - I recommend it as a "This is so bad its funny" kind of RPG themed film. It was apparently the top grossing film in Iceland one year which, after seeing it, makes me wonder about the quality of your average Icelandic film. :p

I found Unicorn city boring, and also yet again propagating so many negative stereotypes.

I found it quite whimsical and while each character was pretty much a predictable stereotype I found it fairly decent watching. My only grump with it is "Shadowhawk" which was definitely a negative stereotype, and being the only "older" gamer in the character roster it painted a fairly dire view of older gamers in general. Had they made him younger (or everyone else older) I doubt it would have been nearly as jarring.

Sorry to hear that The Gamers movies didn't resonate for you, it does seem to vary between folks.

Out of interest what is your favourite one? If you had to recommend one to someone and say, "Judge the collection by this one", which one would it be?

Celebrim

Legend
The first Gamers movie left me feeling 'meh', but The Gamers 2: Dorkness Rising is the best movie about RPGs ever made (particularly if you don't count ET). Better than 90% of the movies that come out of Hollywood, and outrageously funny.

rpgresearch

Explorer
Out of interest what is your favourite one? If you had to recommend one to someone and say, "Judge the collection by this one", which one would it be?

That would depend on the person I was speaking to.

If they were an older gamer, let's say gamed back in the 80's, probably the first Gamers movie.
If there are a bit younger, let's say they came into gaming around the same time as the D&D 3.x time period, then the second film. My now 15 year old son has watched that one dozens of times.
If they are even younger, and especially if they are known to like collectible/trading card games, then the third one, but insist on the Extended edition.

If they are more into something like Shadowrun / Cyberpunk, then Natural One.

Humans & Households is just a fun a reversal of the all the above. These last two are much shorter, so might be good introductions possibly.

As for favorite, I think it is the culmination of them that is great, including the books. That is what I'm enjoying most, the layers of interconnectedness. I would be hard pressed to pick one as a favorite, but would be torn between the first and second.

Even though I'm in the third one ( 2 teeny-tiny bits), the CCG/TCG thing just isn't my thing, but the extended version was enjoyable with the character interactions. I really enjoy where the RPG part of the third is going, so taking out the TCG/CCG info-mercial portions, and keep all the other parts including the relationships, Scott Brown's hint to another book, then I would probably pick the third. :)

Last edited:

Remove ads