D&D General If you were made president of D&D, what would you do?

Dark Sun is perfect to sell shirts, posters and other products of merchandising.

Dragon and Dungeon magazines can't work in the same work in the age of internet. It is not only the TTRPG industry but also the complete priting industry.

The current strategy is D&D to be a multimedia franchise, using different ways as income sources: comics, videogames, toys, books, cinematic productions...

* A collab Ravenloft - Dead by Daylight?

* D&D is not good for crossovers with superhero comics because these are OP for TTRPG standars, and we can say the same about characters from the modern age with firearms, but Ravenloft is a better option. Witchlight as setting is perfect for crossovers with child-friendly franchises.

Most of characters from isekai mangas are also OP, but if they are "nerfed" when they arrive to the D&D multiverse.

* A starter kit, but without the standar classes, but a remake of "survivors" from Ravenloft 5 ed, for the Japanese market where they want fast creation of PCs for one-shot adventures.

* Warcraft d20, adapted to 5e and this time published by WotC.

* A collab of Fortnite: Save the World in D&D Beyond, maybe we only would need stats for the husks and mist monsters.

* If LEGO: D&D is a reality now, why not also D&D: Playmobil?

* A crossover Humblewood - Bloomburrow?

* A mash-up version of Jem and the holograms where they are "sent" to other world before to be killed by Phyrexian invaders and now they are a group of female gnomes playing bardcore music. (spoiler: they aren't gnomes but song dragonborns).

* A revival of "Star Frontiers", but with a style more like vintage saturday-morning cartoon shows.

* "Collabs" of different franchises, for example monsters from survival horror videogames in D&D Beyond (Resident Evil, Dead Space, Evil Within...).

I would put every decision up for discussion on social media and let the fans vote on how I should run the company. That way they would get exactly what they want, for a few months before every employee left because the company was bankrupt or in legal holding due to crimes.

Stormonu

Legend
High-quality POD for all the core rulebooks of BX, BECMI (or Rules Encyclopedia), OD&D, AD&D1-2E, and 3.5E. Get all these editions a CC SRD. All other prior edition books have a scanned version and work towards having POD editions of them all. Make a 50th anniversary case set with the core rules from OD&D to 5E as a collector's set ("D&D through the ages").

Keep the 2014 ruleset and incorporate the best-recieved quality of life changes from the latest playtests. Those playtest options that didn't make it but recieved greater than 50%, or changed things to radically put into a book of options and officially release.

Create a new DM's Starter Set with a "getting started" booklet, pre-made characters, expanded book covering up to 5th level, dice, standees, condition pogs/cards, planned adventure for 1st-3rd level, sandbox campaign booklet (set in Nentir Vale), and DM's screen (and maybe starter Monster cards, if there's room). Create a supplementary Player's Set with carry case, dice, minis (prepainted if possible), premade characters and blank sheets, player's primer and softcover PHB. Maybe a pack of starter equipment cards. Sell supplemental cards and other goodies so DMs and Players can grow into a full-blown D&D collection.

Farm D&D Beyond out to a 3rd party and party with a VTT to support the current edition and license the above editions as well (but not directly offer beyond core rulebook functionality but allow 3rd parties to convert supplements for nominal license fee).

Push to get 2-3 more D&D movies or TV shows made (my pet project would be a Dragonlance TV series covering the War of the Lance and the War of the Twins).

Develop a new version of the D&D board game series with options for DM'ed, Player Only or Solo play. Also look into a Mass Battle reinvisioning of BattleSystem - minis agnostic, but partner with Wizkids to produce "Armies in a Box" quarterly sets. Look into creating a Living Card game for D&D (perhaps pushing Dragonfire more aggressively), leaning into MtG's knowledge and expertise to make something that complements MtG (the D&D cards could be used as MtG tokens, non-tournament crossover play or somesuch).

Have a continuing line of D&D novels and comics. Use them to complement and spark interest in existing and newly released campaign worlds.

Plan a twice-a-year Campaign boxed set release. May release would be an update of a previous edition campaign set (such as Ravenloft or Dark Sun). September release would be an all-new campaign set. Go the Piazo route and create an adventure series magazine that devotes 6 issues to the campaign world in an adventure path from 1st-12th or 1st-18th+ level. Have 1-2 special end-of-the-year issue(s) that has short adventures that aren't specific to a campaign world, or revisit previously published campaign worlds (1-2 such adventures max).

That's all I can think of for now.

I don't think Dark Sun will save WotC, but I sure as hell don't think it'd hurt it to release a 5E version.
I actually think it might hurt more than it would help.

It would be stripped down with everything which makes Dark Sun what it is removed, then combined with the 'just make everything up' attitude of all the more recent setting books.

We've already seen complaints and loss of goodwill from other setting guides. Dark Sun would be all this, dialed up to 11.

Meech17

Adventurer
I actually think it might hurt more than it would help.

It would be stripped down with everything which makes Dark Sun what it is removed, then combined with the 'just make everything up' attitude of all the more recent setting books.

We've already seen complaints and loss of goodwill from other setting guides. Dark Sun would be all this, dialed up to 11.
Well now.. Let's be fair.

We're playing a game where we're speculating on our hypothetical plans to course correct WotC.

Assuming we're in a world where President @Stormonu was in charge, and set to release a new 5e version of the setting.. Shouldn't we also assume he's in a position to exert his power to keep it true to the original?

Remove ads