D&D General If you were made president of D&D, what would you do?

GrimCo

Adventurer
I find interesting that people keep repeating creative commons and ogl and public domain. How would that turn profit for D&D? It's like people skipped over part in this scenario where we need to make D&D profitable. Too bad OP didn't include part about what would we do if we invested all we had into this business with all or nothing outcome ( aka if dnd isnt profitable, we lose all and become broke and homeless). I bet there would be less "run it to the ground" comments 😁

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
I find interesting that people keep repeating creative commons and ogl and public domain. How would that turn profit for D&D? It's like people skipped over part in this scenario where we need to make D&D profitable. Too bad OP didn't include part about what would we do if we invested all we had into this business with all or nothing outcome ( aka if dnd isnt profitable, we lose all and become broke and homeless). I bet there would be less "run it to the ground" comments 😁
Putting D&D's system mechanics under the OGL or into Creative Commons doesn't "Run it into the ground". If it did, D&D 3e, 3.5, and 5e would never have made any profit, rather than being some of the biggest profits D&D has ever brought in.

Maybe we could've been clearer about referring to the SRD instead of apparently implying printing books and then literally giving every part of the book away including artwork and trade dress...

But it really shouldn't have to be explained to people who know what the OGL and Creative Commons are.

Vaalingrade

Legend
I find interesting that people keep repeating creative commons and ogl and public domain. How would that turn profit for D&D?
The way the OGL did before? By growing the market and creating a robust support network for their inhouse work?

And rebuilding some of the massively shattered good will like they originally said they would?

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Just asking why go that route and not copyrighting or trademarking everything thats possible and then licencing out IP for profit?
Three reasons:

1) Third party publishers offset your need to constantly churn out products with a high risk of deflation of perceived value due to marketplace saturation.

2) You present yourself as a generous company which democratizes the game and involves others in the creation process, increasing goodwill, particularly with 3rd party publishers who don't have to fear litigious retaliation (pointless as it is) because...

3) You literally cannot copyright or trademark "Roll 1d20 and add a value to it". Similarly "Rogue" and "Wizard" are such generic terms as to be uncopyrightable. Most of D&D is this way. And while you -could- take everyone to court and fail constantly, hemorrhaging money like Palladium did to WotC back in 1992... It's a bad idea.

Meanwhile Illithids and Beholders are covered under IP Law. As is Elminster and other named characters. And WotC -does- work to keep its intellectual property close to its pocketbook.

LesserThan

Explorer
Total hypothetical discussion here, but with the current and recent news and controversy with WotC, I think it will be an interesting discussion. I'll post a response to myself later and links to popular responses when I'm near a real keyboard.

The hypothetical is that a tech billionaire wants the prestige of owning D&D, gets WotC to spin it off (including dnd beyond), and then makes you president of the D&D company. You now have a fiduciary duty to make a profit. You've got 3 years of reprieve before you have to show that profit. You can make small acquisitions and hire who you need to hire to accomplish this. What do you do?
Not enough info.

How much am I paid?
How much did D&D cost?
What does it get the rights to?
Is DMs Guild still operational?
Who is manufacturing the product?
What outstanding licenses exist?
How much is it in debt?
What are my company assets?
Define "profit"?
Are there shareholders?

Sure it could. That is a lot of resources and a book slot to expend on something that only appeals to a slim portion of an ever decreasing portion of the customer base.
I'd argue that there is probably a decent amount of people who would enjoy a gritty survival type campaign, especially with Dune being popular right now.

It's historically a big part of DnD which is just ignored this edition.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
What would I do? (note though some of these ideas have been mentioned upthread, I'll hit 'em again...)

Well, I've got three years; and I'm stuck with having to finish the roll-out of 5.5e as it's too far along in the process to bail out and rethink. So, out comes 5.5e along with the other already-scheduled releases.

But while that's happening, I'm getting people started on other projects:

--- lock in the CC/OGL licence and expand it to all editions (and see below re 4e)
--- try to get a Game of Thrones tie-in or license, make that the new Birthright, and release it as something like "Birthright: Game of Thrones"
--- get another movie in the works (if one isn't already) with hopes it'll hit the theatres before my three years is up
--- redesign and release a second version of D&D based on BX/1e, and have it in the market side-along with 5.5e (and make two-way conversion guides freely available); this both to get our cut of the OSR market and to show we haven't forgotten our roots
--- make D&D, both as game and company, a front-and-centre presence at every significant live gaming convention
--- reboot Dragon magazine as a bi-monthly paper publication and get it into mainstream distribution channels such that it appears in every local bookstore as well as the FLGSes; open some space in it up to outside writers and-or columnists
--- go back to short-form stand-alone adventure modules for both 5.5e and the "new" old-school D&D, try to have one issued in each month that there is not a Dragon magazine (thus, each month sees either an adventure or a magazine come out)
--- both the magazines and adventures would be digitally available but only after a month or so delay; if you want it first, you gotta get it on paper
--- team up with Chessex (or Lou Zocchi?) for a line of good-quality "official D&D dice" (and maybe make their use mandatory at AL tables?)
--- team up with an existing VTT outfit (roll20? Foundry? whoever) on an exclusive deal to provide official online play access to both in-print versions of the game as well as all out-of-print versions; this would be far cheaper than designing and coding our own in-house VTT
--- set up a proper discussion and community forum, free of charge to the user; either on our own or in tandem with the VTT outfit - and then listen to what's said on that forum and interact with the posters there
--- cut 4e loose and wash our hands of it, either by selling its rights to someone or putting it in the public domain as far as we can
--- emphasize the in-person social aspect of D&D and use that in the marketing
--- this one might take longer than 3 years to fully realize, but: look into starting first one, then a chain of gaming cafes, perhaps tied with other pre-existing libraries or rec facilities; some could even be FLGSes we buy out and remodel into gaming cafes and retail outlets
--- this would certainly take longer than 3 years to fully realize: take 5e, 5.5e, and community input and put together a final "modern" edition; at the same time take the "new" old-school edition, various OSR versions, our own old editions, and comminity input and put together a final "old-school" edition.

How does this make any profit before my three years are up? Good question. Much would depend on the movie, but there's some profit to be had in the minor pieces (magazines, adventures, dice); and the old-school edition would likely enough start with a sales peak even if it then dropped off later. Also, there'd be money coming from whatever deal we struck with the VTT provider. A wild card would be the GoT-Birthright piece; it'd either sell like hotcakes or massively bomb, there'd be no middle ground on that one. :)

bmfrosty

Explorer
Lol. I'm ignoring the run into the ground comments, but I will talk about public licensing when I do my post this weekend. I think whoever owns the brand needs to acknowledge what they can and can't own and that acknowledgement of that is good for the community. I think Dancey was right that if they support the community that all roads lead back to them for this type of RPG.

Reynard

Legend
I'd argue that there is probably a decent amount of people who would enjoy a gritty survival type campaign, especially with Dune being popular right now.

It's historically a big part of DnD which is just ignored this edition.
Is it? There was what, one 4e book?

ETA: I mean since 2e, when it was just another of a half dozen unprofitable worlds.

Remove ads