• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If you were to optimize a 2-weapon ranger...

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Just threw together what my level 16 gear would probably look like. Something like this:

ITEMS
Frost Scimitar +2, Frost Scimitar +3, Acrobat Boots (heroic tier), Potion of Healing (heroic tier) (2), Magic Longbow +2, Feytouched Feyhide Armor +4, Iron Armbands of Power (paragon tier), Cloak of Displacement +3, Belt of Vigor (heroic tier), Casque of Tactics (heroic tier), Potion of Regeneration (heroic tier), Potion of Vigor (heroic tier)

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Here's my version. He's a swordslinger more than a typical ranger.

He's damn dangerous, especially against humanoids (+3 to damage). He usually doesn't stray too far from the defender, typically attacking the same enemy in order to focus fire. But he isn't adverse to straying from the pack and gains +1 to hit from prime strike when he does. More importantly, he's durable. 33 AC ain't half bad.

I tend to stray away from supernatural effect. I prefer the feel of a ferocious warrior who gleefully rip his enemies apart the old fashioned way. The Paragon Path utility really sells that build : Named Dread. The Character says his name to his enemies and then every humanoid who hear him are so daman terrified that they get -2 to hit him for the whole encounter. Awesome.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
Kendrick 16th, level 16
Human, Ranger, Ruthless Punisher
Fighting Style: Two-Blade Fighting Style

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 22, Con 15, Dex 16, Int 11, Wis 16, Cha 9.

Starting Ability Scores
Str 16, Con 14, Dex 13, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8.

AC: 33 Fort: 29 Reflex: 27 Will: 25
HP: 112 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 28

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth, Dungeoneering, Acrobatics, Endurance, Athletics, Perception.

FEATS
1: Armor Proficiency (Chainmail)
1: Armor Proficiency (Scale)
2: Two-Weapon Fighting
4: Two-Weapon Defense
6: Lethal Hunter
8: Weapon Proficiency (Double sword)
10: Weapon Focus (Heavy Blade)
11: Armor Specialization (Scale)
12: Prime Strike
14: Bleeding Precision
16: Blood Thirst

POWERS
1, At-Will: Hit and Run
1, At-Will: Twin Strike
1, Encounter: Two-Fanged Strike
1, Daily: Jaws of the Wolf
1, At-Will: Careful Attack
2, Utility: Unbalancing Parry
3, Encounter: Disruptive Strike
5, Daily: Two-Wolf Pounce
6, Utility: Serpentine Dodge
7, Encounter: Sweeping Whirlwind
9, Daily: Caging Strike
10, Utility: Shed the Mark
13, Encounter: Nimble Defense (replaces Two-Fanged Strike)
15, Daily: Blade Cascade (replaces Jaws of the Wolf)
16, Utility: Stalker's Senses

ITEMS
Magic Wyvernscale Armor +3, Bloodthirsty Double sword +3, Amulet of Resolution +3, Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier)
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======

Last edited:

40piecekfc

First Post
Actually the frost weapon property does not let you trigger the feat wintertouched or lasting frost. In order for those feats to be triggered the power that you use has to have the cold keyword. The frost weapon property doesn't give your powers the cold keyword, it just makes them do cold damage.

Davachido

Explorer
Actually the frost weapon property does not let you trigger the feat wintertouched or lasting frost. In order for those feats to be triggered the power that you use has to have the cold keyword. The frost weapon property doesn't give your powers the cold keyword, it just makes them do cold damage.

I can't quote the rules exactly, but I'm pretty sure that the updated rules in PHB3 clarified this to when using a weapon like a frost weapon it changes the keywords of the power (even if the had others to begin with) into cold as well as changing all the damage into cold. That way it stopped powers from being fire and cold etc just through use of the weapon.

Edit: Also I'm also pretty sure if a power does a certain type of damage it has that keyword anyway. I have never seen a power do fire damage for example that doesn't have the fire keyword, I can't see why the elemental weapons are exempt from this.

Klaus

First Post
The power you use to change your Frost Weapon's damage to cold has the Cold keyword. That keyword is added to the attack, and therefore triggers Wintertouched and Lasting Frost.

Not terribly optimized... but i like it (on theory)

getting into melee and staying there...

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Garret, level 16
Halfling, Ranger, Stormwarden
Build: Two-Blade Ranger
Ranger: Prime Shot
Background: Halfling - Banned (+2 to Stealth)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 20, Con 14, Dex 22, Int 11, Wis 14, Cha 9.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 13, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 6.

AC: 31 Fort: 29 Reflex: 30 Will: 24
HP: 111 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 27

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature +15, Endurance +14, Heal +15, Stealth +20, Perception +15

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +15, Arcana +8, Bluff +7, Diplomacy +7, Dungeoneering +10, History +8, Insight +10, Intimidate +7, Religion +8, Streetwise +7, Thievery +15, Athletics +12

FEATS
Level 1: Lost in the Crowd
Level 2: Two-Weapon Fighting
Level 4: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Level 6: Two-Weapon Defense
Level 8: Nimble Dodge
Level 10: Weapon Focus (Heavy Blade)
Level 11: Scimitar Dance
Level 12: Lethal Hunter
Level 14: Paragon Defenses
Level 16: Two-Weapon Opening

POWERS
Ranger at-will 1: Shield of Blades
Ranger at-will 1: Twin Strike
Ranger encounter 1: Fox's Cunning
Ranger daily 1: Sudden Strike
Ranger utility 2: Yield Ground
Ranger encounter 3: Ruffling Sting
Ranger daily 5: Two-Wolf Pounce
Ranger utility 6: Serpentine Dodge
Ranger encounter 7: Twofold Flinch
Ranger daily 9: Attacks on the Run
Ranger utility 10: Shed the Mark
Ranger encounter 13: Off-Hand Diversion (replaces Ruffling Sting)
Ranger daily 15: Bleeding Wounds (replaces Two-Wolf Pounce)
Ranger utility 16: Evade the Blow

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Defensive Scimitar +3, Cloak of Resistance +3, Slick Earthhide Armor +3, Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), Farbond Spellblade Scimitar +3
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

edit:

1. Used new halfling stats

2. Amor specialization scale is possible. I just don´t think it is flavourful

3. You cn also drop dex by 2 points getting higher wis and con to get uncanny dodge and armor specialization hide with the option of second skin at epic.

Last edited:

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
In the year-and-a-half or so since this thread was last posted in, my ranger has gotten up to level 21 (where we put the game on pause). Here he is as is (rolled stats, quest-granted Endurance skill training, "organic" gear, etc).

*Twin Strike Average damage per round: 98.85 damage(primary target), 9 damage(second target)

*Minimum damage per round: 36 damage(primary target), 9 damage (second target)

[sblock=Twin Strike Crunch] Average damage per round using Twin Strike(assuming we've hit them once to get cold vulnerability):
MH: .2(9) + .7(34) + .1(74 + 34.35*) = ...36.44
*OH MBA: .25(9) + .65(38) + .1(74) = ...34.35
OH: .25(9) + .65(30) + .1(67) = ...28.45
Quarry: .76(15) + .19(24) = ...15.96
Stormwarden 11 and 16 Features: 18 damage one target, 9 damage 2nd target
[/sblock]

[sblock=CB Summary]====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Logan Banner, level 21
Elf, Ranger, Stormwarden, Demigod
Ranger: Running Attack
Divine Spark: Divine Spark Dexterity
Divine Spark: Divine Spark Strength

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 26, Con 14, Dex 28, Int 12, Wis 19, Cha 12.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 12, Dex 18, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 10.

AC: 35 Fort: 34 Reflex: 34 Will: 34
HP: 141 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 35

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature +21, Perception +21, Stealth +23, Acrobatics +23, Athletics +22, Streetwise +16, Endurance +16

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +11, Bluff +11, Diplomacy +11, Dungeoneering +14, Heal +14, History +11, Insight +14, Intimidate +11, Religion +11, Thievery +18

FEATS
Level 1: Quick Draw
Level 2: Weapon Focus (Heavy Blade)
Level 4: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Level 6: Battle Awareness
Level 8: Wintertouched
Level 10: Elven Precision (retrained to Epic Will at Level 21)
Level 11: Lasting Frost
Level 12: Scimitar Dance
Level 14: Lethal Hunter
Level 16: Two-Weapon Fighting
Level 18: Two-Weapon Opening
Level 20: Heavy Blade Opportunity
Level 21: Heavy Blade Mastery

POWERS
Ranger at-will 1: Twin Strike
Ranger at-will 1: Marauder's Rush
Ranger encounter 1: Dire Wolverine Strike
Ranger daily 1: Jaws of the Wolf
Ranger utility 2: Invigorating Stride
Ranger encounter 3: Disruptive Strike
Ranger daily 5: Snarling Wolf Stance
Ranger utility 6: Weave Through the Fray
Ranger encounter 7: Lashing Leaves
Ranger daily 9: Passing Ambush
Ranger utility 10: Hunting Party
Ranger encounter 13: Armor Splinter (replaces Dire Wolverine Strike)
Ranger daily 15: Blade Cascade (replaces Jaws of the Wolf)
Ranger utility 16: Ranger's Parry
Ranger encounter 17: Untamed Outburst (replaces Lashing Leaves)
Ranger daily 19: Cruel Cage of Steel (replaces Passing Ambush)

ITEMS
Magic Longbow +1, Frost Scimitar +3, Potion of Healing (heroic tier) (2), Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), Viper Belt (heroic tier), Frost Scimitar +4, Circlet of Indomitability (paragon tier), Gauntlets of Destruction (paragon tier), Amulet of Protection +4, Displacer Earthhide Armor +3, Eager Hero's Tattoo (heroic tier), Siberys Shard of Merciless Cold (paragon tier), Boots of Eagerness (heroic tier), Ruby Scabbard (heroic tier), Timeless Locket +4, Siberys Shard of Merciless Cold (epic tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======[/sblock]

Last edited:

scylis

First Post
Yeah, so, for those out there who don't notice the dates on most of the posts in here, a few notes:

You're dead to Rangers, Pit Fighter! Dead! (and to everybody not a Fighter, since the WIS damage bonus only works for them) This makes Pathfinder the front-runner for STR/WIS melee Rangers.

Thanks to an increase in ability to straight-up hit things, bastard swords are now the top of the Ranger weapon food chain (I think they kinda always were, but a lower chance to hit made scimitars awfully tempting to Stormwardens).

It does a little less damage than a Stormwarden, overall, but the Blade Dancer PP is pretty much the bee's knees for everything else. It has good abilities and a power or two that are to die for (I'm looking at you, Cross-Body Parry).

Fewer things are as satisfying to a melee Ranger as whipping out a good nova round, so keep at least one minor action attack power stashed somewhere. Early on, you're looking at Off Hand Strike, but there are others to be found. If you can set it up, Jaws of the Wolf + Off Hand Strike + AP Twin Strike (+ Hunter's Quarry, naturally) can do ridiculously fun amounts of damage from level one. As you get more encounter powers, you'll be able to do slightly smaller novas each encounter. Doing damage is pretty much your only schtick, so try to remind people of that by doing gross amounts of it whenever possible. We're talking "shopped at CostCo and bought in bulk" amounts to other people's "bought it at the normal store" efforts.

Ooops, didn´t really notice how old this post was... was raised from dead before i posted.

Of course, bastard sword is the highest damage possibility. But Halflings can´t use them. So I decided to build a halfling ranger that takes advantage of scimitars, their highest damage one handed weapon (excluding rapier).

With the Halflings ability of beeing quite hard to hit, you can go into melee and stay there, dooing consistent damage... dealing damage is only great, if you can stay alive to deliver it.

scylis

First Post
Ooops, didn´t really notice how old this post was... was raised from dead before i posted.

Of course, bastard sword is the highest damage possibility. But Halflings can´t use them. So I decided to build a halfling ranger that takes advantage of scimitars, their highest damage one handed weapon (excluding rapier).

With the Halflings ability of beeing quite hard to hit, you can go into melee and stay there, dooing consistent damage... dealing damage is only great, if you can stay alive to deliver it.
Blade Dancer could be a better choice with that mindset. Certainly gives extra bonuses to defenses if you hit. Also, have I mentioned I love Cross-Body Parry?

Remove ads