• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If you were to play a version of pre-3.0 D&D, which would it be?

If you were to play a version of pre-3.0 D&D, which would it be?

• Moldvay/Cook Basic/Expert D&D

Votes: 45 17.9%
  • AD&D 1e

Votes: 81 32.3%
  • AD&D 2e

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Rules Compendium D&D

Votes: 39 15.5%
  • Sorry--I wouldn't play *any* of the above versions

Votes: 30 12.0%

DestroyYouAlot

First Post
Myself? RC D&D, no question. 2e just makes me cringe in so many ways, now (although there are a few later modules I'd love to run with that system). 1e is amazing, but if I was going to spend the time, I'd probably play Hackmaster instead. I've also been really into running 1e modules with 3e rules, lately.

Basic Set'd be a hoot, no doubt, but the thing I've been hankering for lately is to go back to the Hollow World boxed set - probably run a short "pre-campaign" in above-ground Mystara, and then dump them into HW with no warning. That'd definitely be with the RC. (I just wonder if I could get my current players to go along with it - one's a OD&D vet, but he jumped ship to RQ as soon as it was out. Two are 1e vets from when they were kids (dad was a gamer), but I'm not sure they've ever played D&D. And two are from the 2e era, same problem.)

Stormtower

First Post
Purple Box!

I voted Moldvay/Cook... and in fact I WILL be running an "old school night" in the near future. Keep on the Borderlands B2 will be unleashed once again, for the first time since junior high! (well, for me anyway)

I want to get everyone to agree to play RAW right out of the book... 3d6 no reroll chargen, down to 2d6 for monster/NPC reactions and 20% chance to detect "save or die" poison needle traps at 1st level.

It will be glorious. The corpses will litter the landscape for miles around. :]

Remove ads