• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If you were to play a version of pre-3.0 D&D, which would it be?

If you were to play a version of pre-3.0 D&D, which would it be?

• Moldvay/Cook Basic/Expert D&D

Votes: 45 17.9%
  • AD&D 1e

Votes: 81 32.3%
  • AD&D 2e

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Rules Compendium D&D

Votes: 39 15.5%
  • Sorry--I wouldn't play *any* of the above versions

Votes: 30 12.0%

Aeric

Explorer
I would play 2nd edition, specifically with the Player's Options books. I loved the freedom and flexibility of the customizable classes. I see a lot of that in True20, actually.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Honestly I'd play any of them, at least once just to try them, but I don't know enough about the rules differences to really base my decision on that at all. So I'm stuck with flavor, and I can't really say I care for the play style and feel of some of the older stuff I've read, so I have to go with the heyday of fluff and campaign settings...

2e: the planes had depth and the fiends had flavor.

Nyaricus

First Post
I'd play 1e, simply because of OSRIC and it's awesomeness (I got a nostalgia kick simply by reading that awesome document :D).

AD&D 2e would be clsoe, since I started with it, but meh, not too important :)

Personally, I think 3e is where it's at, but to them their own, right?

Odhanan

Adventurer
But is the RC pre- or post-2e? I don't rightly remember.
Well, technically it's post-2E (in terms of actual publication of the book), but it's mostly a compilation of pre-2E materials. In essence, for me, it's pre-2E gaming. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads