I'm beginning to dislike Netflix (re: Archive 81, 1899, Warrior Nun etc cancellations)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
No, but like I said you need some good shows to retain the viewers that your tent pole productions bring in.

I agree, but I think there's another way to say it: Long term, a service needs a diverse ecology of content. As a practical matter, relatively few shows will be Big Hits. Keeping viewers around then requires also having a fairly wide assortment of other content around for folks to engage with, or those viewers will wander away.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
That assertion is not supported by the empirical fact that content comes and goes from streaming services regularly.
True, and its even more likely to disappear these days. My experience has been shows stick around longer than films. Though, lots of streamers are vaulting shows too now...

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
True, and its even more likely to disappear these days. My experience has been shows stick around longer than films. Though, lots of streamers are vaulting shows too now...

The (slight) silver lining is that because of the way that Netflix wrote the contracts (more money up front, less costly in the future), they are less likely to vault Netflix original content.

MGibster

Legend
Netflix understands something that we don't like to acknowledge. A lot of people just stop watching shows.
I still haven't finished the least season of Stranger Things and it took me more than a year to get around to watching season 3 after it was released. Yeah, I stop watching shows.

This cold and calculated decision means that we are probably losing a lot of good shows- for example, there wouldn't be a Breaking Bad on Netflix.
And honestly, network television makes similar decisions on regular basis. Perhaps the most famous being the rural purge from CBS in the early 1970s where they cancelled many popular shows including The Beverly Hillbillies. Despite having good ratings, advertisers were turned off by the demographics of the audience which were older than they preferred. In more recent years, My Name in Earl was cancelled because NBC figured out they could make more money putting in another show that was produced by them even if it didn't generate as much revenue from advertisers. i.e. It'd all go to NBC instead of them having to pay the production company for episodes.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I realize, but given Netflix promotes the hell out of some things and largely ignores others, there's always at least some degree of chicken-or-egg question there, and it still begs the question why some get favored status and some--don't.
I wonder how much it has to do with how much money has been spent on one show over another...

I still miss Space: Above and Beyond.
Tina Fey Titus GIF by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Remove ads