I'm Dying to Try...

Stormonu

Legend
Paranoia and Fading Suns. I've played one partial game of Paranoia, but I'd like to do a campaign.

Fading Suns just reminds me so much of a Dune prequel, I really, really want to see how it plays out.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
You're in Worcester. WPI is in Worcester, and you're spitting distance from our game days. Come to the next one!
Yep, but I'm lazy, a procrastinator, don't have a car (never got a licence), and have a limited imcome (just got on SS this year). Still, I'll probaly get off my lazy duff one of these days and get there! And thanks for the invite. :eek:

MortalPlague

Adventurer
Dread and Fiasco would be the 2 games at the top of my list, probably followed by Toon!
I've played Fiasco (in fact, played it a handful of times since we picked it up at PAX last year). It's not for everyone; half of my friends just don't like it. But I love it, and we have a small group who's had tremendous amounts of fun playing it.

If you do pick up Fiasco, be aware that Bully Pulpit Games has a great resource for additional playsets, many of them made by the game's creators or prominent industry writers. Pay attention to 'Dysfunctions & Dragons'... it's a slice of familiarity. :)

Stuff I'd like to run:
- AD&D "thieves"-only, guild-based campaign
Just ran a 4th Edition game like that, it was a blast. No class restrictions (we didn't actually have a rogue to start), but the group were all part of a thieves' guild. We used Goodman Games' excellent Crime Pays supplement.

• 5e - FantasyCraft has been the nail in the coffin for 5e for me. If I want "high fantasy" with a D&D feel, and want to deal with the "crunch," FC or Pathfinder take care of that (or as mentioned above, Runequest). If I want rules-lite fantasy, Savage Worlds or a FATE-based system work better.
Purely out of curiosity, are you planning to try the open playtest?

innerdude

Legend
MortalPlague--

I'm registered for the playtest, but we're having a hard enough time getting our regular group together for the current GM's GURPS game as it is. I'm interested in seeing it, to a degree, and maybe we'll sneak in a playtest one night when the regular GM isn't around.

But I've got to be honest, 5e will have to be something pretty special to make a dent on our group. Our interest will largely hinge on how un-4e-like 5e manages to be while still innovating the d20 core. The playtest may change my mind, but at the moment the actual D&D brand name is pretty meaningless to me. Just tonight I was going through some various RPG stuff, both print and digital, and realized just how little I care about keeping any of the actual WotC content I have. Frankly, with the exception of the 3.0 Forgotten Realms campaign setting, I could lose every ounce of my WotC-era D&D collection and hardly shed a tear.

Last edited:

rkwoodard

First Post
Paranoia and Fading Suns. I've played one partial game of Paranoia, but I'd like to do a campaign.

Fading Suns just reminds me so much of a Dune prequel, I really, really want to see how it plays out.

I once ran a partial game of Paranoia that was a whole campaign. They were going into space so the computer activated all of their clones for the trip. They saw some tiny cracks in the space ship wall. Even though the ship computer said it was not dangerous, they opted to wield a piece of metal over that section while in flight.

The opted to use a Plasma Rifle to do the wielding. 36 clones dead in less than an hour and a half of game time.

RK

Remove ads