• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I'm looking for Opinions on the Marshal Class

Yeoman

First Post
As the title states, I'm looking for either gut reactions after reading the class and people with experience with the class, whether personal or in their group. Looks like an interesting class to me, but I'm interested as to how it holds up as a support character at higher levels.

Thanks for your time.

Liquidsabre

Explorer
The marshal's aura mechanic is a sure winner for me! The rest of the class is alright, but doesn't strike me as particularly interesting to play as a character (especially in the higher levels - the grant move action is quite nice but isn't all that interesting IMHO).

On the upshot, I love the aura mechanic so much I use it for the noble class I use and plan on using a modified-to-fit aura for bards (as either a bardic music path or command path - using the aura mechanic) and paladins (an option to replace spellcasting).

Yeoman

First Post
Liquidsabre said:
The marshal's aura mechanic is a sure winner for me! The rest of the class is alright, but doesn't strike me as particularly interesting to play as a character (especially in the higher levels - the grant move action is quite nice but isn't all that interesting IMHO).
How high a level are you talking? I had the same kind of feeling you did about it being a fit for a noble character.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
The Highest I've been with a Marshall character was level 8 and it was fun. The Marshall is the consummate support character and so the player needs to be comfortable in that role. Playing up the 'noble leader' that inspires others aspects adds real depth and a good cha score means the Marshall can also be the diplomat in non-combat encounters.

The Marshall-Paladin makes sense as an archetype

in my own case my Marshall was a were-tiger so that added a bit of fun too

Wilphe

Adventurer
I like it and have a long-standing desire to play one - which I am finally doing (albeit at 1st Level so I can't comment on what they are like at high levels)

The only thing I am mildy concerned about is the abscence of any suitible PrCs - by which I mean if you take a PrC your major distnguishing class feature will not progress. I'd be tempted to say that any PrC that gives a caster progression gives an aura progession when taken by a Marshall - not sure how that would work out in practice though.

Yeoman

First Post
Interesting responses so far. I love playing the support character, and so the marshal just screamed look at me when I read through the miniatures handbook. Paladin/Marshal was part of the concept I was looking into, so I am glad that others think it's a natural fit as well. As for the marshal/thrallherd|mindbender, that's just mean! :p

atom crash

First Post
The PCs in my game once hired an NPC mercenary who was a Marshall 5. He was a great support character who used his auras to great effect, but in combat he mainly stood back and fired a crossbow to little or no effect. It was a cool character for a while, though.

The biggest boost I found was that the auras he had in effect forced the PCs to think more in terms of strategy and tactics (not their strong suit at the time). Pick your auras carefully and tailor your tactics around them and you should have a character that's fun to play for a good while.

The drawback is that he won't get as many feats as a fighter, so he'll quickly fall behind a straight fighter in combat prowess. But that's true of any support character.

argo

First Post
I know somebody who is playing a Paladin/Marshall in a FR game (I'm not involved in) and he has told me that he is quite pleased with the character. His social skills just sort of manifested out of thin air without him even having to worry about them much, his personal fighting ability is decent enough and it definetly fits the "Golden Commander" archtype to a T.

I'll see if I can't get him to swing by and share his thoughts.

Yeoman

First Post
argo said:
I know somebody who is playing a Paladin/Marshall in a FR game (I'm not involved in) and he has told me that he is quite pleased with the character. His social skills just sort of manifested out of thin air without him even having to worry about them much, his personal fighting ability is decent enough and it definetly fits the "Golden Commander" archtype to a T.

I'll see if I can't get him to swing by and share his thoughts.

That's some really good info. I wasn't expecting too much from him in terms of fighting ability, I was looking at him as more of a support person in line with a Bard. If your friend could come over and give me some first-hand info I'd really appreciate it. I'm looking for as many opinions I can get.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads