• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I'm Lovin' Weight Loss

Rhyssa

First Post
It also says he walked 45 mins a day, which I'm thinking contributed to the weight loss as much as the restricted calorie diet did.

Who knew - eating moderate portions and exercising regularly means you lose weight.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It also says he walked 45 mins a day, which I'm thinking contributed to the weight loss as much as the restricted calorie diet did.

Who knew - eating moderate portions and exercising regularly means you lose weight.

45 mins walking? That's pretty much nothing in terms of calories. What, a couple of hundred? About one bite of a Big Mac?

Rhyssa

First Post
Depends on the speed and whether it was flat ground or incline (or walking out in public). Walking is actually one of the better exercises you can do to get fit.

bone_naga

Explorer
Linky binky.

Broski eats McDiabetees (and only McDiabetees) for 3 months and loses weight and lowers his cholesterol.

So apparently, McDonalds doesn't make people fat. People make people fat. Although, I want to know how much salt is in his body. I feel like Ghandi would walk to him.
Well there's a lot more to weight than just what you eat. Activity level, metabolism, and the amount of what you eat all matter.

I watched that stupid documentary about the guy that ate nothing but McDonald's and almost killed himself. The guy was literally force-feeding himself. In the beginning he was eating so much that he was throwing up. Like dude, if you eat more than your body is telling you to eat, and then continue eating when it's telling you to stop, and keep on eating when it starts screaming at you and begging for mercy, of course you're going to end up in horrible shape.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
45 mins walking? That's pretty much nothing in terms of calories. What, a couple of hundred? About one bite of a Big Mac?

Health benefits of even moderate exercise are not limited to direct calorie burning. 45 minutes of walking a day may only be a couple of hundred calories, in and of itself, but it will have an impact on your resting metabolic rate, and probably do wonders for cholesterol levels in some people.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Health benefits of even moderate exercise are not limited to direct calorie burning. 45 minutes of walking a day may only be a couple of hundred calories, in and of itself, but it will have an impact on your resting metabolic rate, and probably do wonders for cholesterol levels in some people.

Yes, I know. I was talking about the calories, though, not general health benefits.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yes, I know. I was talking about the calories, though, not general health benefits.

The rise in resting level metabolism may be important in that weight loss, by increasing calories burned over the entire day, rather than just during exercise.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The rise in resting level metabolism may be important in that weight loss, by increasing calories burned over the entire day, rather than just during exercise.

Yes. Though the additional effect isn't dramatic. Simply not eating a sandwich has a much greater effect on weight loss.

The exercise/food ratio of weight loss (ignoring other benefits) can be quite depressing at times.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yes. Though the additional effect isn't dramatic.

Well, let us look at it for just a moment...

There's wide variation in resting metabolic rates, but the mean is about 1500 kcal/day. (1 kcal = 1 "dietary" calorie)

If you raise that base rate by 1%, we're talking 15 kcal/day. Which doesn't sound like much. But, over the course of a week, that's about 100 kcal. When your base exercise is only burning a couple hundred calories at a shot, an extra 100 a week isn't negligible. It isn't like this is going to be the majority of anyone's loss, no. But if he can bump up the base metabolic rate by only 2%, it'll be like getting an extra workout in the week!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads