• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I'm Making A New Edition of D&D, What App Should I Use To Create The Rules Document?

kitsune9

Adventurer
I have Word and Publisher experience. There's a lot you can do with both programs. Publisher is good if you want to tweak your layout and you can add pics to create various layering effects so that you want cool-looking side bars, it can do it.

The advice from the other posters about C&D and stuff is the same too. Don't post it.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Well I use Xara Designer for all my maps, as well as all page layout for publications - it's much, much cheaper than Adobe InDesign, though more expensive than Scribus and programs like that. In the $200 ball park in cost.

And as long as you're only talking about 2 column page layout with art and borders in the background, even in sepia tones, it's not emulating D&D specific layout, so no expectations of C&D to occur.

Me, as a graphic designer, I hate the concept of placing graphics behind text (since I am 49 years old, it's actually difficult to read). My designs for my Kaidan books are two column with borders and extensive art, but not as a background - I want my books to be read, not guessed at because the background hides the readability of my text. Getting read is more important than being pretty...

Plus Xara lets me create PDF/X files that are required by commercial printers like Lightening Source and Cubicle 7's printers - all files sent by me created in Xara for printing, gets approved - so I know it will do the job, well.

nedjer

Adventurer
The only way to be sure a clone is not at risk of being put out of action is to follow the OGL and SRD conditions on every detail. WotC might be even less keen on seeing 4e given away for free than seeing it sold.

Stormonu

Legend
Didn't WotC send a Cease & Desist notice early in the 4E era to some website, that subsequnetly shut down, that had a tool for people to make their own powers and print them out in the WotC format? (Anyone?)

Wasn't that Emma's site?

You can get pretty fancy with word. The 4E fan document in my sig was made in Word and exported to PDF. I've been worried it would get a C&D for how closely it mimics the 4E dress, but no problems so far and it's been up for over a year (wouldn't suggest replicating it - especially for sale, though).

The only way to be sure a clone is not at risk of being put out of action is to follow the OGL and SRD conditions on every detail. WotC might be even less keen on seeing 4e given away for free than seeing it sold.
It's not a clone. It's the layout that he wants to emulate.

nedjer

Adventurer
It's not a clone. It's the layout that he wants to emulate.

Yeah, I've jumped to the conclusion that 'a new edition of D&D featuring all of the things I would like to have' would require cloning. Not sure how else he could do it?

Remove ads