D&D 5E I'm not saying it's just an easy caravan guard job, but... (LMoP) (IC)

A foot from the same goblins' face, the magic stone shatters in a brief, but noticeable flash of red. The last two goblins drop, arrows and axes slicing deep.

You are standing along a blood-stained stretch of road, two dead horses, recognizable as belonging to your employer and his bodyguard, lying on the road. The bodies of four recently-slain goblins decorate the road, as well; their blood glistening freshling on their once-living corpses and the ground.

The wagon you are taking to Phandelver sits some fifty feet in front of the scene, still unstained. Your employer's fate is uncertain, and finding any leads is down to your own mental faculties.

Now that you've had a few moments to rest, though, a casual look would reveal that the Goblins' arrows in their quivers match those in the horses for fleteching; black feathers. The horses' saddlebags are open, assorted contents spilled across the ground, as if hastily searched.

What do you do?

Skarsgard

Explorer
Surveying the scene Kel turns to his comrades. "Our people are missing, if they are taken then they may be alive. I can track a bit, anyone here good at tracking?"

Kel surveys the area around the fallen horses looking for some signs of what has happened to their people.

[roll0]

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Overton Henry emerges from the underbrush. He has contributed slightly, but he is also whole, which has been another of his goals. As he emerges onto the path, he picks up a few smith stones to add to the others already in his pocket. He looks at the corpses, and wonders if his commission still holds with his employer dead. Obviously, looking for survivors makes sense. No sooner has he thought this than one of his colleagues (which one was it? he must learn their names) has spoken the thought. So all he can do is grunt approval.

He starts looking for a path those fleeing might have taken, and is surprised to hear that there is another tracker in the group as well. Good enough, for now. He shifts the small shield in his left hand, and lets the other one lead.

Lana

First Post
Lana carries the goblin corpses and lies them in a line; taking her javelin back and searching for any loot or junk. Then she readies the javelin and pokes Idun in the backside with the non pointy end, ready to follow her.

Idunn

First Post
Idun eyes Lana's wounds and almost begins an incantation to heal her up, but decides against it for now. Instead she aids Lana in searching the corpses, muttering a small final rite to each of the dead, for what little that is worth.

"Now.. I'm sure they didn't fly away, but don't forget to look to the heavens above, hm?" Idun directs at Kel as he searches the ground for clues, grinning a bit as she feels a blunt poke in her back. "..after all, you never know when an errant javelin will swoop down like a falcon to nip you? Seems to happen to me all the time."

Action:
Cast cantrip Guidance on Kel
Add to survival skill roll: [roll0]

Each goblin has equipment which can be classed as leather armour, a shield, a scimitar and a shortbow, all sized for a small humanoid (or goblinoid), and 23 silver pieces in total. There's nothing negative, socially, attached to looting bodies you just killed (in general). Honourable enemies might have their weapons buried with them, if there's no close friend or ally to take up their cause; particularly powerful foes might be left their weapons to appease their ghost or revenant. Or, those items might be taken to deprive said potential undead of them.

You also find a note on one of them, with a fairly good drawing of both your employer, and his bodyguard.

And a trail leading north-east. Between your two trackers and divine assistance, the trail might as well have signs on it. In this case, the signs would say "six goblins headed back up this trail, dragging a dwarf and a human behind them."

Now, there's one last question: What do you do with the oxen and the cart?

You rolled spectacularly well, considering the DC to find said trail.

Skarsgard

Explorer
Finding the trail, Kel calls out to the others. "They were dragged off this way! We should be close behind them, I make six goblins in the group."

If you do follow the trail, I'll need Perception (Wisdom) checks from everyone. I won't require a Survival (Wisdom) check to follow the trail at this time, as it is quite clear. It is currently around 2 PM in the afternoon, and reasonably warm for the area.

Which, for the tundra plains-raised member of the group, is a warm summer's heat.

Remove ads