• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I'm taking away a cleric's Medium and Heavy Armor. What to give back?

Al

First Post
Dexterity is generally regarded as the cleric dump stat (though I suppose Intelligence could be compromised at a push), so heavy armour is usually the order of the day. Very few clerics wear anything other than heavy armour, in stark contrast to the plethora of fighters in light armour. Medium armour is generally of limited use apart from at low levels (where heavy armour is unaffordable) or very high levels (when mithril full plate starts becoming a regular occurence). At the mid levels, medium armour I'd even argue is inferior to light armour: +1 AC (breastplate vs. chain shirt) is not worth the reduction in speed. Compared with heavy armour, the benefits of "regular" medium armour (i.e. not mithril heavy armour) - faster run speed and armour check penalties, are marginal for a cleric. On balance, however, the removal of medium and heavy armour probably worsens the character's AC by three to four points, depending on Dexterity (a cleric with greater than 15 Dex I take to be very rare, even if elven).

The question of balance, however, is what are you balancing it against ? Vis-a-vis the core cleric, you're change is probably reasonable; however, when contrasted with other core classes, the cleric is still balanced even without medium and heavy armour proficiencies. The issue of what you're comparing the modified version with is the crucial point in deciding if compensation is necessary at all.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Al said:
At the mid levels, medium armour I'd even argue is inferior to light armour: +1 AC (breastplate vs. chain shirt) is not worth the reduction in speed.
Agreed. Well, unless you're a dwarf, in which case there is no reduction in speed.

I like your base ideas Klaus... just one thing:

Could you grant him the two weapon fighting feat and disgard his Shield use? It would explain that instead of opting for the whole Heavy armour wearing tank, your cleric opted for speed, and the use of dual weaponry, and hence did not focus on carrying a shield around or anything. It seems a fair trade to me...

Klaus

First Post
Drugged Dwarf said:
I like your base ideas Klaus... just one thing:

Could you grant him the two weapon fighting feat and disgard his Shield use? It would explain that instead of opting for the whole Heavy armour wearing tank, your cleric opted for speed, and the use of dual weaponry, and hence did not focus on carrying a shield around or anything. It seems a fair trade to me...
How's about this:

Keeper of the Past (Variant Valenar Cleric of the Spirits of the Past):
Alignment: Any (religion in Neutral)
HD: d8
BAB: +2/3 (as cleric)
Saves: Good Fort/Will (as cleric)
Skills: Add Ride and Handle Animal to the cleric's skill list
Skill Points: (4+Int modifier) per level, x4 at 1st
Weapons: All simple weapons. As elves, the Valenar get scimitar, rapier, longbow and shortbow proficiencies.
Armor: Light armor only, no shields.
Special Abilities: Aura, Turn Undead (as cleric)
Favored Weapon: Two-bladed Scimitar
Domains:
Destruction (smite)
Protection (protective ward)
War (grants Exotic Weapon Proficiency with the two-bladed scimitar and Two-Weapon Fighting feat, instead of Weapon Focus)

Remove ads