Imagining 10 Dimensions

We do play 5e; however, I am really developing the kosmos more for my 5e update of the original BECMI "Immortals Rules." My players really don't engage with the cosmology enough for this to matter to them. Also, this lore is edition independent I would think.
Ah I see, I read that book, couldn't help but feel like that author literally took a lot of influence from UKs works

Interesting discussion. I thought I would chime in to add that in my version of the kosmos the Far Realm is actually poisonous to the Aether Realm (the default realm in my Kosmos) and its inhabitants (nd vice versa). The more powerful you are (ie gods and other immortals) the more poisonous the relationship. That is a big reason gods are not actively trying to invade the Far Realm, nor are lovecraftian type cosmic horrors an imminent threat to overthrow reality. Azathoth and its ilk need minions to "terraform" reality prior to making a major move.

That's cool. The poison mists make sense.

I'll save my own ideas for the book (no point explaining them at this juncture) but one thing I will say is that the cosmic imprisonment/slumber of Sidereals does not stop them from operating in the Far Realm (and beyond*).

*Although even the sidereals don't want to mess with the dimensions 'even further afield'.

We do play 5e; however, I am really developing the kosmos more for my 5e update of the original BECMI "Immortals Rules." My players really don't engage with the cosmology enough for this to matter to them. Also, this lore is edition independent I would think.

5E does simplify a bunch of stuff and without the crazy skill and feat lists everything becomes a lot more manageable. Plus I have toned the ability numbers down a 'tad', but upped individual power.

But happy to let everyone wait and judge for themselves.

Hey buddy! :)

Hey where exactly is the "Nth" dimension located? I always figured it was between the lower and higher dimensions but I'm not sure. Also, what lives there besides nehaschmic dragons?

As Beefermatic noted its the space between Realms. However, there may be far more to it than I originally alluded to...definitely nothing to do with super-vampires though. 🤫

dave2008

Legend
That's cool. The poison mists make sense.

I'll save my own ideas for the book (no point explaining them at this juncture) but one thing I will say is that the cosmic imprisonment/slumber of Sidereals does not stop them from operating in the Far Realm (and beyond*).

*Although even the sidereals don't want to mess with the dimensions 'even further afield'.
It is not so much a poisonous mist as the very fabric of reality is different between the two. Aether reality is composed of Aether/Quintessence and the Far Realm reality is composed of something else. Not necessarily opposite (like matter and anti-matter) be different enough to be actively detrimental to each other.

dave2008

Legend
Ah I see, I read that book, couldn't help but feel like that author literally took a lot of influence from UKs works
That book (1986) predates UK by more than a decade I think, if you're thinking about the correct book: Immortal Rules

EDIT: I just found out you can get the 1992 update for free from DrivethruRPG: Wrath of the Immortals. Though I prefer the original rules, the update streamlined some things in a good way.

Last edited:

That book (1986)predates UK by more than a decade I think, if your think about the correct book: Immortal Rules

Yes I was going to say that. The BECMI rules were certainly a degree of inspiration to me, although the main one for the core Kosmos was Gary Gygax's use of Overgods in his Gord the Rogue series.

BECMI had: Energy, Entropy, Matter, Thought and Time.

Whereas Gygax's higher beings included Entropy, Matter, Time and added Fate, (to some degree) Spirit* and an Interdimensional Overgod as well.

*The Over-Deva, who may just have been Nerull's opposite (roughly analogous to Sandalphon).

I was probably also drawing elements from the Infinity Gauntlet saga back then as well as the Kabbalah, Book of Enoch, Urantia Book and likely a few others.

Remove ads