Imbued magic part deux

hong

WotC's bitch
Nifft said:
I wouldn't use it, because I would like to somehow adapt a more Incarnum-like system (re-allocate "point pool" as a Swift action, and you can invest "points" in items or class features or something).

Mang, I already have enough trouble bookkeeping the buffs....

Nifft

Penguin Herder
hong said:
Mang, I already have enough trouble bookkeeping the buffs....

Exactly. And with the swapping of weapons, and all the situational modifiers...
My current idea is:

1/ One buff per person. Most buffs become "auras" like bless, and are always centered on the caster.

2/ Most Abjuration spells become Immediate actions ("counters").

3/ Players allocate their Hero Points ("essentia") dynamically, with certain limits. But this allocation is where most of your benefits come from, rather than buffs.

The benefits:

1/ All party members (mostly) have the same buffs. Easier to remember.

2/ Walking around without buffs up is no longer insane.

3/ Yeah, it's complicated, but it's not actually hard. Props -- software or just poker chips -- will help a lot.

Still a bit of a pipe dream. :)
Cheers, -- N

Croesus

Adventurer
Nifft said:
Exactly. And with the swapping of weapons, and all the situational modifiers...
My current idea is:

1/ One buff per person. Most buffs become "auras" like bless, and are always centered on the caster.

2/ Most Abjuration spells become Immediate actions ("counters").

3/ Players allocate their Hero Points ("essentia") dynamically, with certain limits. But this allocation is where most of your benefits come from, rather than buffs.

The benefits:

1/ All party members (mostly) have the same buffs. Easier to remember.

2/ Walking around without buffs up is no longer insane.

3/ Yeah, it's complicated, but it's not actually hard. Props -- software or just poker chips -- will help a lot.

Still a bit of a pipe dream. :)
Cheers, -- N

I don't suppose you'd consider opening another thread to flesh this out more? (Don't want to derail this thread) I've been working on a token system to unify most character abilities, feats, and spells, but your idea sounds much simpler, from what little you've mentioned.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Croesus said:
I don't suppose you'd consider opening another thread to flesh this out more? (Don't want to derail this thread) I've been working on a token system to unify most character abilities, feats, and spells, but your idea sounds much simpler, from what little you've mentioned.

Good call. Threadjacking bad.

I've still got my head deep in Magic of Incarnum, and I'm going to be looking at the Factotum and his Inspiration Points when I get that book.

But please, start a thread with your system (which sounds more mature than mine), and I'll join in when I'm ready. Or just tweak and steal yours. :)

Cheers, -- N

GenLang

First Post
hong said:
Obviously a lot depends on how many bonus points you get per level.

I have but two queries: A) How well is this working for you thus far, and B) is that really per level grants and not a cumulative total? I just want the utmost clarification :)

I'm going to use your system in my game, which starts 4/12, and I'll let you know how it works out.

The changes I'll be making are that bonuses of the same kind do not stack. If someone has a +2 to melee weapons, that +1 Holy Longsword is still only a +2 Holy Longsword, but someone who has not spent points on melee weapons will get the full +1 Holy. Secondly, I'm removing the requirement that weapons and armor be +1 before getting other enhancements, in light of the imbued slot system. A church outfitting a young cleric might indeed make a +1 Holy mace, whereas equipping an experienced strike team would like only require Holy weaponry. IMO. YMMV.

hong

WotC's bitch
GenLang said:
I have but two queries: A) How well is this working for you thus far,

Pretty well... but then I've only had 2 sessions. It means I can skim over sundry stuff like the various +1 items.

and B) is that really per level grants and not a cumulative total? I just want the utmost clarification :)

Um, it's the cumulative total. Per level would make the numbers pretty wild later on!

The changes I'll be making are that bonuses of the same kind do not stack. If someone has a +2 to melee weapons, that +1 Holy Longsword is still only a +2 Holy Longsword, but someone who has not spent points on melee weapons will get the full +1 Holy.

That's also the way I see it working. Although allowing stacking might be interesting as well.

Remove ads