• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Immediate Interrupt vs Opportunity Attack

Ganadai

First Post
Is this scenario correct?

1) Enemy attacks PC with a melee attack.
2) PC uses the immediate interrupt "Disruptive Strike" ranged attack.
3) Enemy takes an opportunity attack on the PC.
4) PC falls unconscious and losses "Disruptive Strike"
5) Enemy finishes resolving original attack on the now unconscious PC.

Kordeth

First Post
No--you can only take OAs on opponents' turns, and the immediate interrupt Disrupting Strike occurs on your turn. You don't get an OA against the Disrupting Strike.

Ganadai

First Post
So, even though it doesn't explicitly say it...

One per Combatant’s Turn: You can take only one opportunity action during another combatant’s turn, but you can take any number during a round.

...infers that you can not take opportunity attacks during your turn?

Kordeth

First Post
So, even though it doesn't explicitly say it...

One per Combatant’s Turn: You can take only one opportunity action during another combatant’s turn, but you can take any number during a round.

...infers that you can not take opportunity attacks during your turn?

Actually, it explicitly says it under the rules for opportunity actions on p. 268. You can't take opportunity actions (of which OAs are one type) on your own turn.

NeoNick

First Post
No--you can only take OAs on opponents' turns, and the immediate interrupt Disrupting Strike occurs on your turn.

I was just yesterday considering Disruptive strike for my archer ranger and thought "meh, sounds like something meant for a two weapon melee ranger.".

But without the OA the power gets MUCH better. :) I will giggle (humf "sni_g_ger" wasn't allowed to write because of the sensitive word encased) madly when my DM also learns the mob will have a minus 6 to attack after it. Hehe ;)

Goumindong

First Post
You can also do this with readied actions, but watch out for other enemies whose turn it is not still getting their OAs.

E.G.

Wizard readies thunderwave on trolls attack
Troll charges rogue and attacks for a critical hit
Wizard says "my thunderwave goes off first"
Wizard misses the troll, hits the rogue. Pushes the rogue out of the way of the trolls hit.

KidSnide

Adventurer
Umm, readied actions are reactions, not interrupts.
Unless you're reacting to the movement from charging, the rogue takes the crit.

Actually, I'm not sure that works. In a charge, the movement and attack is a single action. So - even if you've readied the Thunderwave for after the Troll moves into melee range, doesn't it go off after the whole charge action has resolved?

(It would work if the Troll moved and then attacked, but all you would have done is push the Troll away between its move action and its standard action. It could still use its standard action to charge.)

-KS

Remove ads