• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Immobilize: fly vs hover

Smurtis

First Post
Hey guys,

I dont have a DMG handy, but is this statement true?:

p.47 DMG. If you fail to fly at least 2 square during your turn, you crash at the end of your turn.

Now, if this is true, i'm assuming this only applies to creatures that do not have hover, correct?

Would the only way to knock a "hover" creature down is to knock them "prone" with a power? What about "flying" creatures without hover? if they get immobilized, stunned, knocked prone, i'm assuming they fall, yes?

I read that when falling, you fall 100 feet (20 squares) per round, until you either hit the ground (lol) or if you make a DC30 athletics check to come out of the fall... is that true?

Also, if you have "hover" and are knocked prone at 200 feet in the air, do you automatically stop falling and resume "hovering" 100 feet off the ground?

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
Looks like you are referring to the old flight rules. Things have changed somewhat.

Using the Rules Compendium, the rules you are referring to are as follows (and are pages 209 & 210):

- there is no minimum distance you need to fly to remain airborne.

- all hover lets you do is stay in the air while stunned.

- falling prone will also knock you out of the air. Immobilised will not.

- when flying creatures fall, they take damage as if they fell the falling distance minus a number squares equal to their fly speed.

- if it is falls while flying more than 100 ft in the air, it will fall 100 ft and then gets (as an immediate reaction) an athletics 30 check to stop falling. If it fails, if falls 400 more feet (500 feet is the distance you fall in one round). It will then continue to fall as normal at the end of each turn thereafter unless it can otherwise save itself (for exa,\mple, by removing the condition making it fall), or it hits the ground. Having hover doesn't change any of this.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Remove ads