• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Immortal's Handbook continuation thread

Hello again mate! :)

Anabstercorian said:
Alright, let's see what else I can cook up. Feel free to toss any of these in to the IH if you want! It would make me giggle.

I may just do that! :)

Anabstercorian said:
Shredding
A Shredding weapon makes all secondary attacks at maximum bonus as though they were primary attacks. For example, a 20th level fighter normally makes four attacks in a full attack action, at +20/+15/+10/+5. If he was wielding a Shredding weapon, his attacks would be made at +20/+20/+20/+20.

I like both the name and the idea - though I don't see them fitting each other.

Seems like a +5 bonus.

Very nice. Kudos. Annoyed that I never thought of it! :p

I'll have to add your name to the IH special thanks on the credits page.

Anabstercorian said:
Projecting
Only melee weapons can be projecting. A projecting weapon can be used to strike opponents within 30 feet of the weapons reach as though they were within reach. You can flank an opponent using a projecting weapon. A projecting weapon is a force-based effect, and extends in to the ethereal plane.

I already have this weapon effect; though I call it "Lashing".

Anabstercorian said:
Eradicating
On a natural 20, an Eradicating weapon rerolls a second attack as though threatening a critical hit. If this threat is verified, the target must make a Will save equal to 1/2 the damage dealt or be Teleported in to a random black hole lightyears away from the current location.

Seems a bit contrived. Also never happy when DC is related to damage.

I actually have a black hole based weapon ability but it doesn't work anything like the above idea.

Dark Wolf 97

First Post
Very Nice Upper Krust!

Of course I have to get out my books and test some of this, but it appears to be good, despite what many are criticizing. Although many of your udated challenge ratings will be radically changed by 3.5 (if the Pit Fiend is any indication).

With the revised Pit Fiend I calculated 37.5 CR, maybe you can correct me if I'm wrong.

Which makes it EL 21 (on one chart it shows the old one is EL 21, but by your system it is incorrect, the encounter type chart on the Pit Fiend-fodder, irrelevent...) So 4-5 characters of CR 32-39 should stand up to this guy pretty easily?

What about magical items, I have always seen those as increasing CR, or should their abilities be factored in (CR +.5 for Flying Boots?)?

And oh yes, I love the layout, will this be changed, or perhaps in color? I have trouble admiring non-colored monsters.

:D I'm quite pleased!

Anabstercorian

First Post
More weapon abilities!

Maiming
All damage done by a Maiming weapon (not counting bonus damage from enchantments such as Flaming, but counting bonus damage from abilities such as Sneak Attack) is permanent. It can only be healed by a Heal spell or equivalent magic, and even such potent healing spells will only restore one hit point per caster level. Chronomantic spells that pull a target forward in time from before the wounds were inflicted will restore this damage entirely.

Foreverblade
On a critical hit, a weapon with this enchantment spawns a spectral copy of itself that follows the target and unerringly strikes him, once per round, for normal, non-critical damage, as though wielded by the person who inflicted the critical hit, until the spectral copy is dispelled or disjoined (effective caster level something something) or until the target dies.
A lesser version of this effect, Twinblade, spawns a spectral copy that strikes once, the following round, and then vanishes.

Heartraper
A Heartraping weapon causes bonus damage dice from sneak attack to deal maximum damage.

Solar
A Solar weapon glows brightly, continually shedding light as a Daylight spell. It can critically hit undead, and when it does it forces them to make a Fortitude save (DC 64) or be Helpless with writhing agony for 3d6 rounds.

Dark Matter
A Dark Matter weapon sucks in light, continually shedding blackness as a Deeper Darkness spell. It can critically hit any creature with a Constitution score, and upon a critical hit, the target must make a Fortitude save (DC 64) or receive 2d6 negative levels, fortitude save to remove DC 32.

Snail-Spawning
This weapon, when used by a wielder with both Great Cleave and Whirlwind Attack, may spawn an infinite number of snails per round. These snails are magically attracted to the blade, giving no chance of missing. In this way a wielder of a snail-spawning weapon can unleash an infinite number of attacks per round, and thus instantly annihilate the entire multiverse if he's willing to roll that many dice.

Oneiromantic
Anyone struck by this weapon instantly falls asleep for one round. No saving throw.

Dark Wolf 97 said:
Hello Upper Krust!

Hi Dark Wolf 97 mate! :)

Dark Wolf 97 said:
I did indeed recieve, the email, and as soon as I am typing this up, I willl proceed to review. Thank you very much! :D

Don't mention it - least I could do.

Dark Wolf 97 said:
Very Nice Upper Krust!

Of course I have to get out my books and test some of this, but it appears to be good, despite what many are criticizing. Although many of your udated challenge ratings will be radically changed by 3.5 (if the Pit Fiend is any indication).

As you can see yourself the revised creatures are just as easily determined.

Dark Wolf 97 said:
With the revised Pit Fiend I calculated 37.5 CR, maybe you can correct me if I'm wrong.

Its been a few weeks since I looked at it but I seem to remember I though it was in around CR 38.

Dark Wolf 97 said:
Which makes it EL 21 (on one chart it shows the old one is EL 21, but by your system it is incorrect, the encounter type chart on the Pit Fiend-fodder, irrelevent...) So 4-5 characters of CR 32-39 should stand up to this guy pretty easily?

Seemingly I have mistakenly put the Pit Fiend down as EL 21 in that example ~ when it should be EL 19. :eek:

Must be a typo ~ as you can see from the Mixed Opponents section that two Pit Fiends are EL 21.

However the Revised Pit Fiend should be EL 21 by itself ~ so it could use that example.

For the Pit Fiend it should be:

Irrelevant Encounter for PEL 28 or more
Very Easy ~ PEL 24-27
Easy ~ PEL 20-23
Moderate ~ PEL 19
Difficult ~ PEL 15-18
Very Difficult ~ PEL 11-14
Impossible ~ PEL 10 or less

Dark Wolf 97 said:
What about magical items, I have always seen those as increasing CR, or should their abilities be factored in (CR +.5 for Flying Boots?)?

They are already factored in for PCs and NPCs - though I will be adding a wealth factor in the final version.

Dark Wolf 97 said:
And oh yes, I love the layout, will this be changed,

There will be some small changes; there are a few things I am unhappy with.

Dark Wolf 97 said:
or perhaps in color? I have trouble admiring non-colored monsters.

I am discussing with a friend the possiblity of a colour version; though in all likelihood the print version will be in B&W (as virtually all non-WotC books are) so it would make undertaking a colour version somewhat futile.

Dark Wolf 97 said:
:D I'm quite pleased!

Glad to hear it! :)

Re: More weapon abilities!

Hello again mate! :)

Back for more eh!? :D

Anabstercorian said:
Maiming
All damage done by a Maiming weapon (not counting bonus damage from enchantments such as Flaming, but counting bonus damage from abilities such as Sneak Attack) is permanent. It can only be healed by a Heal spell or equivalent magic, and even such potent healing spells will only restore one hit point per caster level. Chronomantic spells that pull a target forward in time from before the wounds were inflicted will restore this damage entirely.

I have this although the damage can't be healed. ;)

I call it "Unfading".

Anabstercorian said:
Foreverblade
On a critical hit, a weapon with this enchantment spawns a spectral copy of itself that follows the target and unerringly strikes him, once per round, for normal, non-critical damage, as though wielded by the person who inflicted the critical hit, until the spectral copy is dispelled or disjoined (effective caster level something something) or until the target dies.
A lesser version of this effect, Twinblade, spawns a spectral copy that strikes once, the following round, and then vanishes.

Mmmm...seems a little too close to Dancing and Everdancing weapons.

Anabstercorian said:
Heartraper
A Heartraping weapon causes bonus damage dice from sneak attack to deal maximum damage.

I would rate this at +1.

Anabstercorian said:
Solar
A Solar weapon glows brightly, continually shedding light as a Daylight spell. It can critically hit undead, and when it does it forces them to make a Fortitude save (DC 64) or be Helpless with writhing agony for 3d6 rounds.

I have a weapon ability called "Devastating" that allows critical hits on things that can't be criticalled.

Anabstercorian said:
Dark Matter
A Dark Matter weapon sucks in light, continually shedding blackness as a Deeper Darkness spell. It can critically hit any creature with a Constitution score, and upon a critical hit, the target must make a Fortitude save (DC 64) or receive 2d6 negative levels, fortitude save to remove DC 32.

No doubt the counterpart to the Solar weapon above. ;)

Losing 2d6 Levels on a Critical Hit is +9 in itself (DC 26).

Anabstercorian said:
Snail-Spawning
This weapon, when used by a wielder with both Great Cleave and Whirlwind Attack, may spawn an infinite number of snails per round. These snails are magically attracted to the blade, giving no chance of missing. In this way a wielder of a snail-spawning weapon can unleash an infinite number of attacks per round, and thus instantly annihilate the entire multiverse if he's willing to roll that many dice.

Wouldn't spawning an infinite number of snails on the first attack render the universe full to the brim with them?

Anabstercorian said:
Oneiromantic
Anyone struck by this weapon instantly falls asleep for one round. No saving throw.

The Snoozemaster 9000. :D

Firstly some creatures don't sleep (so won't 'fall' asleep). Secondly I am never happy with 'no saving throw' ideas.

However, I would say that a +5 weapon enchantment would force a save (DC 16) or fall asleep. With ever the option of buffing the DC of course.

Gez

First Post
Re: More weapon abilities!

Maiming

That looks a bit like unaligned Vile damage.

Heartraper

MUST HAVE !!!

'Scuse-me, a character of mine just spoke there.

Solar & Dark Matter

Flavorful.

Snail-Spawning

Outside a book in the Portable Hole Full of Beer serie (love the "dead" template, by the way), I don't see where it could get published.

Oneiromantic

I could see it as a vorpal-like effect for blunt weapons. If you crit, you bash in the head hard enough to knock the guy/girl/thing/whatever. Typical enchantment for rolling pins. A whole 30% of them also create 36 floating immaterial candles that circle around the victim's head like ioun stones, and provide lights like a dancing lights spell. The candle meld normally, and are totally used-up when the victim awakens.

Last edited:

Re: The Heartraper

Hi Knight Otu mate! :)

Knight Otu said:
Maybe its just me, but that seems a bit too low...

Possibly...?

The effect more or less doubles your average sneak attack damage.

But it is limited to both who can use it (Rogues) and the application itself (Sneak Attacks).

However, the main problem with this type of weapon is that the greater your sneak attack ability the greater the power bestowed upon you.

Which is probably why all such powers in the past (I'm sure I have seen something like this somewhere) have added damage to your sneak attack rather than provide an actual multiplier.

Personally I would allow +1d6 Sneak Attack damage per '+'.

Incidently I'll just edit this with a link which shows the new artists working on the Thor comic:

http://www.marvel.com/transport.htm...ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000139

Thor:

http://www.newsarama.com/Marvel/Thor61cover.jpg

Thor and the Enchantress:

http://www.newsarama.com/Marvel/Thor62cover.jpg

Heimdall:

http://www.newsarama.com/Marvel/Thor63cover.jpg

Loki:

http://www.newsarama.com/Marvel/THOR064covb_100.jpg

Variety of Gods:

http://www.newsarama.com/Marvel/THOR061006b.jpg

Thor versus a pseudonatural werewolf?

http://www.newsarama.com/Marvel/THOR061008.jpg

Last edited:

Anabstercorian

First Post
Armor enchantments!

Chronoslipping
Whenever the wearer Chronoslip armor is targetted by an attack that would inflict negative levels, hit point damage, or ability damage, and the attack would successfully strike him, he is transported in to the future before he is affected. He is transported as far in to the future as is necessary to avoid the brunt of the attack, up to the limit of the armor Lesser Chronoslip will transport the wearer forward in time exactly one round, and only once per day. Standard Chronoslip will transport the wearer forward in time up to one minute, and twice per day. Greater Chronoslip will transport the wearer forward in time up to one hour, and four times per day.

[/b]Chronojack[/b]
The wearer of Chronojack armor can cast a Time Stop effect on himself once per day. It lasts 3 rounds, and functions exactly as the Time Stop spell.

Solar
Solar armor continually radiates positive energy, as a 25th level cleric with the Positive Energy Aura feat. It extends thirty feet from the wearer. All undead with 10 HD or less are automatically destroyed - All undead with 20 HD or less are automatically turned.

Dark Matter
Dark Matter armor continually radiates negative energy in an aura extending thirty feet from the wearer. All within the aura suffer 10 negative levels until they leave the area of effect unless they are under the effect of a Death Ward, Negative Energy Protection, or similar effect, in which case they suffer 1 negative level until they leave the area of effect.

Spelljamming
Armor with the Spelljamming trait exists only in the Spelljammer universe. It functions as a Spelljammer, complete with Spelljamming helm, allowing someone wearing it to travel between planets with no other equipment. Someone wearing Spelljamming armor does not need to breathe, eat, sleep, drink, or excrete wastes. They can Fly, as per the spell, with a maximum speed of 6750 feet per round (approximately the speed of sound) at a maneuverability of Clumsy. Once free of the relative gravity of other objects, it can accelerate to the cruising speeds of a Spelljammer.

Starstriding
Starstriding armor grants the wearer complete Fire and Radiation immunity, while reducing dangerously high gravitational effects by up to 10,000 g's.

Singularity
Singularity armor can reduce dangerously high gravitational effects to 1 g or less, even on the surface of a supermassive black hole.

Worming
Worming armor grants the wearer a Burrow speed. Lesser Worming grants speed 10 through soil and clay, Worming grants speed 20 through stone, and Greater Worming grants speed 30 through normal metals (not Adamantite or Obdurium.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads