• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Immortal's Handbook continuation thread

Anabstercorian

First Post
Anubis said:
Okay, how about you make up a new +1250 ability right here and now that is equally as powerful as the other and let us see it? That way the ability in the book is still a surprise, but we get a general idea of how powerful it is?

Oh god PLEASE! Let us see the overwhelming orgasmic power of the +1250 equivalent weapon enchantment! I'll send you roses, seriously, if you do. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Gez

First Post
I'm not that interested in a +1250 weapon ability. I doubt I'll ever reach such a lofty height.

However, if you could give a sample of a +1249 weapon ability...

:D

Hi Anubis mate! :)

Anubis said:
I think that can be called overcompensation. For a +6 ability to be able to kill even atropals automatically with a 65% success rate is a tad much.

Actually, uh . . . I need to change my stance here . . . I read up on the undead in both books and checked the abilities themselves (+2 and +6 respectively), and decided that both are perfectly fine as-is.

You see, undead have crappy Fortitude saves. Even Nightcrawlers have only a +8, and Disruption is a +2 ability. Greater Disruption is a +6 ability. The best undead has a +22 save and is CR 50, and I think that something designed to challenge Level 50 characters damn well should be able to survive such abilities.

So in conclusion, I see nothing unbalanced with both abilities as-is. Both have reasonable saves and conditions, so . . .

Perhaps you should make a +10 version called Ultimate Disruption that is DC 33?

Actually my revision of Mighty Disruption places it at +10.

Anubis said:
Not always. For something as powerful as Vorpal is supposed to be, it SHOULD be a bit complex. It's not overly complex, after all. Double all final damage, threats are automatically criticals unless the victim is immune, and anything with a Constitution score is a threat of an instant kill on a natural 20. What's so complex about that?

Its not that its so complex but rather that its more complex.

Anubis said:

:D

Anubis said:
Okay, how about you make up a new +1250 ability right here and now that is equally as powerful as the other and let us see it? That way the ability in the book is still a surprise, but we get a general idea of how powerful it is?

Offhand I can't think of another +1250 ability. :eek:

Anubis said:
Hate to do it (because I've been one of the people who thinks odd scores are useless), but I can help you here.

Strength changes carrying capacity.

Constitution, if you use my (much better than the core rules') death system of not dying until negative amount equal to Level plus Constitution, lets you go longer without dying.

Intelligence determines the maximum spell level for Intelligence-based spellcasting.

Wisdom determines the maximum spell level for Wisdom-based spellcasting.

Charisma determines the maximum spell level for Charisma-based spellcasting.

The only score that doesn't have any effect by the score itself is Dexterity, but that score is a prerequisite for some of the best feats and feat chains in the game, such as the Whirlwind Attack chain, Ambidexterity, etc.

Thanks. :)

Anubis

First Post
Upper_Krust said:

Actually my revision of Mighty Disruption places it at +10.

I think my idea is better . . . Talk about "more complex" . . . Why not keep the two the same, as they aren't AT ALL unbalanced, and then add a new one at +10?

I simply fail to see how Disruption and Mighty Disruption are unbalanced as-is. Some others do need tweaking, but I see nothing at all wrong with those two.

Upper_Krust said:

Its not that its so complex but rather that its more complex.

It pales in comparison to the complexity of your new system, ya' know. I think a very small amount of complexity for such a big thing is perfectly fine, even necessary.

Upper_Krust said:

Offhand I can't think of another +1250 ability. :eek:

How would you rate a weapon that can kill any deity of up to Greater Deity Status in one hit, Fortitude save DC 100? How would you rate a weapon that deals an extra 100d100 force damage to an opponent? How about a weapon with the ability to always maximize damage and then multiply it by 10? How about an ability that multiples the critical multiplier by 10? How about an ability that makes all hits automatic critical hits? Just give us basic ideas of what pluses these abilities would be at.

Oh, how about an ability that kills anything and everything outright in one hit, regardless of level or deific status? (In other words, one hit would kill even a Time Lord outright, no save allowed.)

Upper_Krust said:

No problem!

Hi Anabstercorian mate! :)

Anabstercorian said:
Oh god PLEASE! Let us see the overwhelming orgasmic power of the +1250 equivalent weapon enchantment! I'll send you roses, seriously, if you do. :D :D :D etc.

Oh okay then; the ability is called "Exterminating" and it makes whatever you hit 'extinct'...all of them that is, throughout the multiverse. Fort DC to avoid is 1270.

eg. Hit one dragon and all the dragons in the multiverse are exterminated. etc.

Bonsoir mon ami! :)

Gez said:
I'm not that interested in a +1250 weapon ability. I doubt I'll ever reach such a lofty height.

Most (90%) of the powers I have created lie somewhere between +5 and +50. A few are beyond that.

Gez said:
However, if you could give a sample of a +1249 weapon ability... :D

Effronte! :D

Hello again Anubis mate! :)

Anubis said:
I think my idea is better . . . Talk about "more complex" . . . Why not keep the two the same, as they aren't AT ALL unbalanced, and then add a new one at +10?

Probably because I already show how to make a vorpal variant at +10 (up to +50 in fact*). ;)

*Yes thats it always decapitating.

Anubis said:
I simply fail to see how Disruption and Mighty Disruption are unbalanced as-is. Some others do need tweaking, but I see nothing at all wrong with those two.

No point going into that now. I'll show all my reasoning in the book.

Anubis said:
It pales in comparison to the complexity of your new system, ya' know. I think a very small amount of complexity for such a big thing is perfectly fine, even necessary.

I knew you were going to say that! :p

But something should only be as complex as its form necessitates. The CR/EL system is complex in that it has to accurately cover myriad factors. The vorpal ability does not have myriad factors therefore you should make it as simple as you can.

Anubis said:
How would you rate a weapon that can kill any deity of up to Greater Deity Status in one hit, Fortitude save DC 100?

If you stipulated it only worked on Divine Beings then you could gain "God Slaying" (DC 109) at +50.

Anubis said:
How would you rate a weapon that deals an extra 100d100 force damage to an opponent?

If damage was delivered 'every hit' (on average +5050 damage) then you would have to say +2525.

Anubis said:
How about a weapon with the ability to always maximize damage and then multiply it by 10?

The problem with that type of ability (damage multipliers) is that its going to be much more attractive to someone wielding a Greatsword than a Dagger.

Anubis said:
How about an ability that multiples the critical multiplier by 10?

Do you mean adds 10 to the existing multiplier (I have that ability its called "Devastating"**); or one that multiplies the multiplier? I don't think multiplying the multiplier is wise.

Anubis said:
How about an ability that makes all hits automatic critical hits?

Already have that. The ability is called "Rending"**.

Anubis said:
Just give us basic ideas of what pluses these abilities would be at.

Just did, anymore?

**No point giving away details to stuff I already have.

Anubis said:
Oh, how about an ability that kills anything and everything outright in one hit, regardless of level or deific status? (In other words, one hit would kill even a Time Lord outright, no save allowed.)

Mmmm. I don't like 'no save' situations; especially since DCs scale indefinately. But you can always raise the DCs.

Anubis said:
No problem!

:)

Dark Wolf 97

First Post
Originally Posted By Upper_Krust
Oh okay then; the ability is called "Exterminating" and it makes whatever you hit 'extinct'...all of them that is, throughout the multiverse. Fort DC to avoid is 1270.

Whoa, I could use that on my DM, but then I DM games also...Dang:p

Anabstercorian

First Post
Over the edge

Starbreaker
Starbreaking weapon, when used against a star, cause the star to immediately begin the process of erupting in to a supernova explosion. The explosion occurs in 1d4 hours and can only be stopped by epic magic. The explosion erradicates the star and does [absurd number]d100 heat damage to all targets affected, plus [absurd number]d10 doses of radation.

What plus?

Splattering
Splattering weapons must be bludgeoning weapons. A Splattering weapon inflicts all damage to living targets as Constitution damage, and also functions as a quadruple-strength Wounding weapon.

What plus?

Merciless
Merciless weapons, when used for a Coup De Grace attack, allow the Coup De Grace to be made as a free action, with a +30 bonus to the Fortitude DC.

What plus?

Gez

First Post
Re: Over the edge

Anabstercorian said:
Starbreaker
Starbreaking weapon, when used against a star, cause the star to immediately begin the process of erupting in to a supernova explosion. The explosion occurs in 1d4 hours and can only be stopped by epic magic. The explosion erradicates the star and does [absurd number]d100 heat damage to all targets affected, plus [absurd number]d10 doses of radation.

What plus?

I've no idea of the +, but such a weapon would have to be at least size Colossal+64 (Colossal+1 is double the minimum size for Colossal, Colosaal+2 is double the size of Colossal+1, etc.).

Or you could make it a projectile-only ability. That would require a distance enchantment at +600. Like the sun-killing arrows of the Great Archer Yi. Although Yi would not have wanted his arrows to turn the 9 excedentary suns into supernovae, black holes, or anything equally annoying. But maybe he just got lucky and only targeted mirror images of the real sun.

Remove ads