• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Immovable Rod Monkey Bars?

Jeremy

Explorer
I'm sorry, this just gave me a hilarious mental picture.

You lock one rod in the air above your head and swing your other arm forward with another rod. Simultaneously lock the second rod and unlock the first one swinging it (the first one) in front of you as you did with the second. Repeat as necessary.

Up, down, side to side, just make sure you work on your timing, your grip, and your stamina. :)

This is just silly! :D

Last edited:

Corwin

Explorer
Re: Re: Immovable Rod Monkey Bars?

Yeah. I noticed long ago that with 3 or 4 of these, you could easily and relatively safely climb to the heavens.

Jeremy

Explorer
Then you take the brachiation feat or bracers. :)

"Here Tarzan, we bought you these to make you feel more at home."

hong

WotC's bitch
Re: Re: Re: Immovable Rod Monkey Bars?

Corwin said:
Yeah. I noticed long ago that with 3 or 4 of these, you could easily and relatively safely climb to the heavens.

Heck, there's a picture of a guy doing just that in the DMG....

Gez

First Post
Jeremy said:
I'm sorry, this just gave me a hilarious mental picture.

You lock one rod in the air above your head and swing your other arm forward with another rod. Simultaneously lock the second rod and unlock the first one swinging it (the first one) in front of you as you did with the second. Repeat as necessary.

Up, down, side to side, just make sure you work on your timing, your grip, and your stamina. :)

This is just silly! :D

It's an idea I already had... I'm just imagining someone like that paralytic boss in the Avengers (or was it James Bond or some other ?) who moved around by grabing pulls on the ceiling. But with immovable rods, no need for pulls !

Imagine a pair of immovable gauntlets ? That would be a cool gadget ! Brachiating in empty air ! You'll be Tarzan & Superman's hidden lovechild !

Also, check out our new magical gadget, the immovable belt (just a belt with an immovable rod strongly afixed on it): when you're falling, lock it instantly. Then, unlock & relock briefly, so as to never fall for more than one or two seconds (OK, activating a magic item is a standard action, so you could do it only once per round -- 6 seconds) at a time and fall safely ! An item of featherfall would be more comfortable, though.

Kilroy

First Post
In the high level game I was in that just ended, one of the final fights featured an orc assassin with 2 rods chasing our group's flying mindbender. The mindbender taunted him into going higher and higher, then into hanging from one and taking a swing at him. Then he moved back, and used mage hand to push the button on the rod the orc was hanging from.

Best use of mage hand I've seen yet.

Xarlen

First Post
Kilroy said:
In the high level game I was in that just ended, one of the final fights featured an orc assassin with 2 rods chasing our group's flying mindbender. The mindbender taunted him into going higher and higher, then into hanging from one and taking a swing at him. Then he moved back, and used mage hand to push the button on the rod the orc was hanging from.

Please tell me the Orc simply activated the other ones, and climbed down? Because he had Two of them; he shouldn't have splatted.

Now, two really well placed 'Greases' would mess this dude's day up. ;)

android

First Post
Kilroy said:
Then he moved back, and used mage hand to push the button on the rod the orc was hanging from.

I guess I'll be the one to spoil the fun. Mage Hand only works on "Nonmagical, unattended" objects. Seeing as the rod in this case was both magical and attended, this wouldn't have worked in a by the book sense.

However, if your DM is like mine, if it's creative enough, anything is likely to happen. :)

Zhure

First Post
Not to spoil the fun further, but I seem to remember reading in the Brachiation Feat that it requires "both hands to be empty."

::shuffling of papers::

"You may move through trees ... You may not use this ability while holding an item in either hand."

MoTW, page 21

So technically, it only works in trees anyway.
Greg

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads