• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Implement critical damage...

Alnag

First Post
Hello.

Does implement bonus damage to critical hits counts if the power I score a hit with does not cause damage by itself. Let's say I have a magical holy symbol (+1d6 in case of Critical) and I cast a cleric power Command and I hit with it. Does the Command cause 1d6 of damage or not?

Thank you.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Hello.

Does implement bonus damage to critical hits counts if the power I score a hit with does not cause damage by itself. Let's say I have a magical holy symbol (+1d6 in case of Critical) and I cast a cleric power Command and I hit with it. Does the Command cause 1d6 of damage or not?

Thank you.

No, the attack has to do damage in order for you to get extra damage.

This is clarified in the PHB2, page 221, in the "Extra Damage" sidebar.

DracoSuave

First Post
One thing to note: Critical Hits apply the magic item's 'Critical' effects on -any- critical... with a caveat.

Most of the time the effect is to 'increase the damage you deal'. (PHB 278) In these cases, if your attack is non-damaging, then there can be no increase to damage. However... other stuff might still happen. '...and push 1 square' would still happen even if the damage doesn't increase. 'Ongoing 10 damage' isn't an increase to damage, so it still applies.

One thing to remember as well, there's no 'increase the damage roll.' If you critical with a power that says 'Deal your Wisdom modifier damage.' then you get the full monty when you critical with that power.

Remove ads