IMPORTANT! Posting WotC articles wholesale...

pawsplay

Hero
arscott said:
:3: The copyright expires (under current law, the 4e preview articles will expire in 2128).

I know I'm looking forward to it! Unfortunately, all the characters and playtesters mentioned will be continuously trademarked, making it impossible to the article in anything other than a scholastic context.

Mercutio01

First Post
Hussar said:
No, that's how the site could be better. I didn't say that it was perfect. I was just questioning these massive problems that people are talking about.
You seriously don't have any problems with the site? I'm forever at a loss trying to find any article that's fallen off the front page. My brain hurts just looking at the front page.

/derail

BadMojo

First Post
Mercutio01 said:
You seriously don't have any problems with the site? I'm forever at a loss trying to find any article that's fallen off the front page. My brain hurts just looking at the front page.

/derail

I agree it's pretty bad and it's a shame that we won't be able to read articles here on EnWorld. I'll miss reading the stuff, but not enough to deal with the awful D&D home page.

I actually haven't bothered reading an article on the Wizards site for weeks for that very reason. It's completely atrocious and the "payout" for finding the stuff isn't worth the hassle.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
BadMojo said:
I agree it's pretty bad and it's a shame that we won't be able to read articles here on EnWorld. I'll miss reading the stuff, but not enough to deal with the awful D&D home page.

I actually haven't bothered reading an article on the Wizards site for weeks for that very reason. It's completely atrocious and the "payout" for finding the stuff isn't worth the hassle.

You don't have to "find" it, you merely need to follow a link from here directly to it. It's one extra click.

Morrus said:
It's one extra click.
This reminds me of a work story someone has told me:

One our key account manageners had checked out the newest version of our application.
Later, he asked one of the developers on a feature:
"I can't seem to open the new online photo search feature. When I click on the button, nothing happens?"
"Huh? That can't be, it's working fine here." (That's what developers always say). "Let's check it out."
Developers starts program, clicks, button, everything works.
"Strange. What did you do exactly?"
"Well, I moved the mouse cursor on the button, and then left-clicked it"
"Left-click? I thought I had to do a right-click?!"
"???" We might be ignoring some standards (no menu bar, since not desired by management), but switching all button interaction from left to right-click would be going a bit too far, wouldn't it?

;)

The easiest way to kep up with the car crash that is the Wizard's site is to subscribe to their RSS feed. That way you can actually see what's new, as opposed to digging around through counter-intuitive menus for ages.

Cactot

First Post
CarlosDosBrickos said:
The easiest way to kep up with the car crash that is the Wizard's site is to subscribe to their RSS feed. That way you can actually see what's new, as opposed to digging around through counter-intuitive menus for ages.

car crash? your being awfully nice. that site (especially the "new" gleemax forums) seem to have an uptime percentage just over 20%... its atrocious. Probably the worst web offering of any major company I have yet to run across.

dimonic

Explorer
One more logical reason

I have noticed some WotC articles actually change in content over time, especially preview type articles such as the 4e stuff - some FR articles come to mind. If they were cut and pasted, the copies would no longer be current, or an accurate reflection of the product. Granted there is some value in the archived version - like the "wayback" machine philosophy, but it gets messy if people are discussing the content of an article and the details are different.

Remove ads