IMPORTANT! Posting WotC articles wholesale...

I propose that ENWorld adds a filter.

It should be turned off by default, but when turned on, you no longer see any news item or article that essentially is a link into DDI with no intrinsic value for non-subscribers.
Threads on DDI never stay that way. How is a filter supposed to figure out "Hey, people have replied something useful that even non-subscribers can use?"

What about Kobold Quarterly Threads? Or should (un)reason stop his post about old Dragons that many posters might never get? What about those posts that say: "Adventures Vault II, I got it". They are just waiting for reactions.
Posting the initial "it's out" thread is giving people interested in the topic a meeting point to discuss their opinion and thoughts. Of course, there is also the "first to post" motivation behind it, but these threads are still aimed at people that want to read or talk about the product. And none of these threads so far failed at that. Non-subscribers always have the chance to ask questions about the content, and their questions will get answers in such threads.

There are tons of threads I am not interested in. I simply don't click them. If you're not sure if such a thread might contain interesting information, just look at the number of replies - if there are some, there is bound to be more information then just "The product/content exists".

Vascant

Wanderer of the Underdark
I am one of those tired of seeing DDI threads personally, the value to ENWorld is really only to a limited few and not the community as a whole...

However...

I am adult enough just to skim over them or as they start mounting in greater numbers, just stop coming to ENWorld as frequently as before. If people really see or get Value from these then why not have a DDI subforum in the 4e area, since they are the only ones who would get value from it and not the general community.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
I am one of those tired of seeing DDI threads personally, the value to ENWorld is really only to a limited few and not the community as a whole...

However...

I am adult enough just to skim over them or as they start mounting in greater numbers, just stop coming to ENWorld as frequently as before. If people really see or get Value from these then why not have a DDI subforum in the 4e area, since they are the only ones who would get value from it and not the general community.

Just as a quick note - I just did a swift scan of the first 60 posts on the General Forum.

There are 4 that relate to DDI things - not all of which require a subscription to see, I think.

This whole thing really isn't a problem, as far as I can see, and the idea that somehow ENWorld is going to become just a minor part of the Wizards marketing is not something I can ever see happening.

FurryFighter

First Post
if you're really desperate for new material, and hard up for cash, learn how to use the skills of memorization and learning that they suggest in college, and when you can readily get something into your head in one sitting, go to your borders bookstore, pull off a D&D book from the shelf, and get reading. you dont want to pull out a pencil and paper to copy, that looks worse, but people regularly use borders like a library, taking books to read and not buying. Its like an expectation there. Basically, any particular info you want, you get it free, then go back to there for new stuff, and soon you have lots of characters sheets to compile all this info into your own D&D book, instead of paying 30$.

Remove ads