• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Improve Brute Gauntlets

cjosephs1s

First Post
I really like the Brute Gauntlets (Magic Item Compendium pg 83) for my character that I'm playing and for future characters or campaigns. However, they are really low level and I want to improve them so they are more useful to my character.

I know how I would like to improve them but can't figure out how to price them or how they got the base price listed. I've tried a number of different methods with no success (gotten close but not there). Here's the basics on what they do and their cost.

Hold 3 charges renewable each day
Morale bonuses apply to STR based skills, checks and damage for 1 round
1 charge =+2
2 charges = +3
3 charges = +4

Now this is nice but its basically a one time use item and I'd like to be able to use it a few more times a day...

Base price is 500gp and it uses Bulls Strength (3rd level caster) to make this.

Ideally I'd like the bonus to go to +6 and cost 5 charges and this to be useable at least 3 times per day (gloves have 15 total charges renewable each day). I'm not a budget so if it costs 20000gp to do it so be it.

Also please show how you got the price you did as this will have to be approved by my DM so i'd like something to show him and not just pulling a number out of thin air. If you have any questions please feel free to ask and I will try to provide as much information as I can. If you need to alter the item (such as turn it into a wand or just make it a generic item property feel free) All ideas are welcome. End goal is to get a Base Price (usually considered market price by most) for this newly enhanced item.

Thank you all in advance for any ideas you have.

Greenfield

Adventurer
Well, if you built it from the DMG creation rules, you'd have an epic item (+12 STR), usable 3 times per day. Ignoring the Epic aspect, a +12 Strength item would be 144,000 gp.

3/5ths of that is 86,400 gp. Non-epic, at least price wise.

Of course, you'll need to add in the cost of whatever bribe you have to give to your DM to let such a thing into the game, but...:)

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Improved Brute Gauntlets

By expending a charge as a swift action, the wearer gains a +6 morale bonus on STR based skills, checks and melee damage for 1 round. The item has 3 charges, which renew daily.

Price: 4500 gp. CL 7th. To create: Bull's Strength spell.

Math: I figured the price should go up exponentially with the bonus. You wanted 3/day, current item gives a +2 3/day.

(2^2) * X = 500 gp
with 2 being the bonus and X being our static multiplier. Solving for X gives
X = 500 gp / 4 = 125 gp

So...

(6^2) * 125 gp = 4500 gp

CL was just arbitrary. I saw CL 3 was bonus +1, so I just went with 6 +1.

You could add in the option to spend 2 charges for +7 or 3 charges for +8, but you'd have to be a moron to ever exercise those options. :)

cjosephs1s

First Post
[MENTION=24079]Green[/MENTION]: Good idea but not quite what I was looking for. I was mainly just wanting to take the idea of the existing item and make it a little stronger and at that higher bonus still useable 3 times per day.

[MENTION=14053]ST[/MENTION]ream: I like it. So without numbers the formula is Bonus x Bonus x 125gp. So in theory we could apply this same formula to other stats to come up with other items to boost things and it should be equal then.

For example "mind gauntlets" lets the wearer add x morale bonus to all Dex based skills, checks, and AC for one round.

If the bonus was at +6 it would still cost 4500gp then.

Does that seem like it would work too?

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Maybe? The MIC explicitly just kinda "winged it" to choose the value of things, rather than use a formula. I doubt mine would hold up well for different kinds of charged items, but 4500 for what you want seems fine, and the formula looks good even going to higher bonuses, if you wanted to.

cjosephs1s

First Post
Cool. Thank you very much. Yeah, some of the prices are kinda off the wall on stuff but many of them are based on a permanant effect spell formula (spell level x castor level x 1500gp) and then just divide by the number of uses per day or other factors of the item (such as duration) Try it sometime on some of the not so weird things.

Remove ads