• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Improved Shield Bash, and other shield questions

Moto Jojo

First Post
The Improved Shield Bash feat from Defenders of the Faith allows you to shield bash an opponent and affect him as if you'd bull-rushed him, except that they only move 5 feet, and you don't follow them. My question is, since being moved by a bull-rush normally provokes attacks of opportunity, does this mean that someone with the Improved Shield Bash feat gets an AoO against an opponent they successfully knock back?

My related questions are:
What are the normal modifiers for making a shield bash attack?
- using only the shield during a round
- shield bashing and then using a sword, or vice versa, in one round

The_lone_gunman

First Post
We play it such that the basher doesnt get an AOO, however, if the 5' move moves the bashed through someone's threatened space, they get on on him.

That is the most logical way to do it IMHO.

TLG

kmdietri

Explorer
I agree with the lone gunman about the AoO. That's also how we play it in our group.
As for your related questions. If you attacked with just the shield in the round I believe you would only get off hand weapon penalties which are -4 I think, unless of course you had Ambidexterity, then there would be no penalty at all.
If you attacked with the shield and another weapon you would get two weapon figting penalties as if you were using a light weapon in your off hand. I think under the shield description in the equitment chapter it says shields are always considered light. Also I think you can only bash with small and large shields, no bucklers or tower shields. I may be wrong on that though.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
The_lone_gunman said:
We play it such that the basher doesnt get an AOO, however, if the 5' move moves the bashed through someone's threatened space, they get on on him.

That is the most logical way to do it IMHO.

TLG
Agreed, since it "...affects your opponent as if you had performed a bull rush."

Remove ads