• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

In case of HIVE break glass

Status
Not open for further replies.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Tried playing 4E tonight. Again.

It ended in under 2 hours, with everyone arguing and the DM walking out. Again.

I don't really want to go into the specifics. Suffice it to say, I was looking forward to gaming again for the first time in almost two months, and it ended very badly.

So we decided to stay with 3.5. Again.

And the thing is, I really don't care what edition we play...not anymore, anyway. I just want to play something. I want to hang out with my friends, drink some beer, and tell some stories. Is that really so hard?

(I thought I would post this rant here, lest my sentiments spark another edition war. At least here in the sanctity of the Hive, I can express my disappointment without being judged. Thanks for listening.)

Last edited:

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Damn... having a game end in a argument always sucks.. The only times that ever happened in a game I was in was because one player threatened an other out of character because of what was said in character.

Doesn't help that one time the player was hitting on the other guy's gf in game and the other time the other guy was being a BEEP and basically threatening to kill off the entire group because his character didn't care.

Phaezen

Adventurer
Damn... having a game end in a argument always sucks.

True, especialy just as the game is starting to find its direction.

However if you can get together and talk things over and find out what went wrong the resulting campaign could be awesome (Thats atleast what my one group is hoping for, C&C campaign, set in the Wilderlands, all dwarf party searching for a lost ancient dwarven citadel - the cliches work sometimes)

Phaezen

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Hi CNN. Any thoughts on Pathfinder in your group?
Everyone was really excited about Pathfinder and some of the changes that it was bringing to the game, and we even did a couple of alpha test games. For a little while, it looked like Pathfinder was going to be the "new version" of D&D that everyone would be talking about and pushing me to switch to.

Well, let's hope it's really edition-related and not just a catalyst for an underlying reason. :-S
I know, right? But as far as I can tell, everyone is more or less level-headed.

As I was saying, it looked like Pathfinder was the clear favorite in our gaming group. Then 4E came along, and everyone started talking about it instead. So we did a couple of test games of THAT as well.

The first one ended with everyone ditching my game to go play Diablo2 instead on my LAN.

The second one ended with an argument over healing surges and daily powers, and confusion over their number of use restrictions. Batman was mentioned.

The third one ended in another argument, but I forget what started it or what it entailed. By the time the dust settled, one of my players (the guy who most wants to play 4E) and his wife had stormed out and took the 4E books with them.

Tonight, the argument started when someone at the table, frustrated over the new way of doing things, muttered "why can't we play the old game instead?" to the 4E Guy. And let me tell you, THE GLOVES CAME OFF. Shouts about resistance to change, ignorance with regard to math, and whether or not someone would "know a good game if it bit him on the ass," were all uttered back and forth. Again he stormed out, taking his books with him. I just sat there, dazed.

Which I think means my opponents had combat advantage and I couldn't flank. Or that I couldn't take any actions? Anyway, both are accurate.

I think the problem is purely edition-related; he wants so badly to play in a 4E game but nobody else does. So he gets more and more frustrated. I don't think it is personal, and I don't think he has anger-management issues or anything like that...he just wants to play a game that nobody likes, and he is very insistent. (He does have a bit of a "I will show you...I will show you ALL" demeanor with regard to 4E, though.)

Unrelated: Did you ever just write a post:

CleverPost

If not, why not? ;)
Heh. I haven't....in fact, I've never really thought about it. Now that you mention it, I could do all sorts of things...

CleverQuote
CleverReply
CleverVote
CleverQFT...

EDIT: Here you go. :)

Damn... having a game end in a argument always sucks.. The only times that ever happened in a game I was in was because one player threatened an other out of character because of what was said in character.

Doesn't help that one time the player was hitting on the other guy's gf in game and the other time the other guy was being a BEEP and basically threatening to kill off the entire group because his character didn't care.
Yikes. My spoiled evening doesn't look so bad after all. :confused: I've never had to put up with anything like that (yet, anyway. Knock on wood.) There was a bit of akwardness when a couple of our players started dating and then broke up...they still remained good friends, though, so I guess you could say we dodged a bullet.

At least as far as my wife and I are concerned, we are to the point that we wish 4E had never been born. If that were the case, we would be happily gaming with our friends every other week, chopping our way through whatever drow-infested dungeon I had dreamed up, sipping beer and hanging out and having a good time like we have for the last six years.

Now can you see why I didn't post this in General? :uhoh: There would already be fifteen posts about how I should "fix" my game or flog my problem player, and PCat would end up locking the thread for its lack of civility. And I really don't want to upset anyone or ruffle any feathers; I just wanted to vent my frustration.

The Hive is good therapy.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads