• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E In combat riding and movement

Giant2005

First Post
It isn't in the same 6 seconds, by RAW. The owl is on a different turn from the PC, so it is 6 seconds on the shoulder during the players turn, then 6 seconds in the air on it's own turn.

A round of combat is 6 seconds, page 189 of PHB.
But it is the same 6 seconds - as you said a round is 6 seconds (not a turn which would be required for them to be occurring in different 6 second intervals).

Lanliss

Explorer
But it is the same 6 seconds - as you said a round is 6 seconds (not a turn which would be required for them to be occurring in different 6 second intervals).

Ah yes, you are right. In that case though, it is not six seconds at all. It is spending 1/x of the round on its masters shoulder, and 1/x flying by itself, where x is however many creatures are involved in the combat. Still not spending the entire round in both states.

EDIT: actually, to correct myself, it is spending X/Y on its masters shoulder, where X is the amount of time since combat began (let's say 3 turns) and Y is the number of creatures in the combat (let's say 4). It then takes flight, and spends all of its time in the air.

Harzel

Adventurer
It isn't in the same 6 seconds, by RAW. The owl is on a different turn from the PC, so it is 6 seconds on the shoulder during the players turn, then 6 seconds in the air on it's own turn.

A round of combat is 6 seconds, page 189 of PHB.

Oh, but it is the same 6 seconds. All turns in a round take place in the same 6 seconds, as indicated by the PHB reference you just quoted.

Harzel

Adventurer
So, you find it unreasonable that someone can move with an owl on their shoulder, and then the owl can move by itself? Would it make more sense for the owl to be paralyzed by it's masters movement, stopping it from taking movement on its turn? Imagine it this way.

You are carrying a cat. You hold it tight against your chest, and run in a straight line for 6 seconds. For this, let's assume the cat is fine with this, as you are its arcane master. Now, after six seconds of you running, the cat changes its mind, and jumps out of your arms. Is it allowed to run away, or is it paralyzed?

I understand what you are saying, but the trouble is that this involves taking the serialization of turns within a round literally, whereas I think of it as a bookkeeping convenience and tie-breaker for events that, in the fiction, actually occur (nearly) simultaneously.

Giant2005

First Post
Ah yes, you are right. In that case though, it is not six seconds at all. It is spending 1/x of the round on its masters shoulder, and 1/x flying by itself, where x is however many creatures are involved in the combat. Still not spending the entire round in both states.
It isn't like Southpark: Stick of Truth where the kids all agree to take turns in battle. In DnD everyone is acting at the same time and that time is a span of 6 seconds, not 6 seconds divided by the number of people in battle.
What you are describing is people gaining super speed relative to the number of people in battle. For example, in a 1 v 1 battle, you are saying that each person spends 3 seconds on his action, then waits 3 seconds for the other guy to do his thing. Yet in a 10,000 v 10,000 warzone, that same guy gains superspeed enough to make that same action in 0.0003 seconds. The question then becomes, in the 1 v 1 situation, what if he is a Chaotic being that chooses to ignore the gentleman's agreement that was compelling him to wait the 3 seconds for his enemy to attack and attacks at his full potential? If he can take an action in 0.0003 seconds, then he could take 20,000 actions in the same round that the Lawful guy (that is still respecting the gentleman's agreement) takes only 1

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I have never considered 6 seconds to be a hard and fast time, more loke an approximate. Like hit points and AC, it's abstract. Some things allowed to be dkne on a turn are much more than 6 seconds. Lole grappling, say. Or an attack-move-attack combo, or any number of things.

But I think the deciding point is that the familiar gets its own full turn and initiative count. No where is there any indication that should be gimped by misapplied mounted or grappling rules. I mean, really, is it breaking the game to let it fly its full movement?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Harzel

Adventurer

EDIT: actually, to correct myself, it is spending X/Y on its masters shoulder, where X is the amount of time since combat began (let's say 3 turns) and Y is the number of creatures in the combat (let's say 4). It then takes flight, and spends all of its time in the air.

So you are saying that as the number of combatants increases, each one becomes (inexplicably) faster?

EDIT: Dang! Ninja'd again!:eek:

Lanliss

Explorer
It isn't like Southpark: Stick of Truth where the kids all agree to take turns in battle. In DnD everyone is acting at the same time and that time is a span of 6 seconds, not 6 seconds divided by the number of people in battle.
What you are describing is people gaining super speed relative to the number of people in battle. For example, in a 1 v 1 battle, you are saying that each person spends 3 seconds on his action, then waits 3 seconds for the other guy to do his thing. Yet in a 10,000 v 10,000 warzone, that same guy gains superspeed enough to make that same action in 0.0003 seconds. The question then becomes, in the 1 v 1 situation, what if he is a Chaotic being that chooses to ignore the gentleman's agreement that was compelling him to wait the 3 seconds for his enemy to attack and attacks at his full potential? If he can take an action in 0.0003 seconds, then he could take 20,000 actions in the same round that the Lawful guy (that is still respecting the gentleman's agreement) takes only 1

I know everything is happening simultaneously, and corrected myself in an edit of that post. The best way to describe it, in the narrative, is "after the PC took a few steps, the Owl took flight". However you read it, the Owl spends a fraction of time on the shoulder, and a fraction in the air,not all 6 seconds in both states.

EDIT: actually, reading it back over, my previous edit did not clear up the issue the way I had it in my head. Consider this post my actual stance, and my previous one was a poor choice of words.

Last edited:

Remove ads