In-Game vs. Real Life Passage of Time

maggot

First Post
Sometimes it takes weeks to play out a single day as the party explores an ancient crypt. Sometimes it takes a few hours to play out and entire season as the party holes up for the winter or goes on an extended journey across the sea.

In four-and-a-half real-time years, my current campaign as moved forward about 13 years. There was at least one major surge forward of about 10 years, so 1-1 is probably about right except for hand waiving time.

the Jester

Legend
It really varies in my campaign. Sometimes the party spends multiple sessions in intensive exploration and dungeoneering, which takes a month or two of real time and 2-3 days of game time. On the other hand there have been times when the party has taken the winter off or something.

Starglim

Explorer
I've run a PBeM game since 2000. So far it has covered 4 1/2 days. I agree, though, that tabletop games probably average out very roughly 1:1.

S'mon

Legend
It varies a huge amount with me.

I created my main game-world 19 real years ago; 383 game years have passed.
I ran a PBEM for about 3 real years in which maybe 8 months of game time passed.
I started running 3e in my game world a bit over 3 years ago, most of that time covered 2 game years, but with speed-up period recently about 6.5 game years have now passed.

Generally I don't like game time to pass slower than real-time for very long, if it starts to do so I'll have game-time jumps of 6 months or whatever.

Ibram

First Post
Actual game time time is one session = one week. between adventure blocks a year or more can pass:

"Ok, having returned the princesses soul to her body you set off again. your travles take you to the Valish Sea, where you are employed as a guard on a merchant ship.

In service to the captain you find yourself fighting the occasional pirate, though boredom and the tediousness of life aboard a ship is a more constant threat.

Nearly a year has passed since you joined the ship when the captain picks up a very unusual passenger...."

the Jester

Legend
Ibram said:
Actual game time time is one session = one week. between adventure blocks a year or more can pass:

"Ok, having returned the princesses soul to her body you set off again. your travles take you to the Valish Sea, where you are employed as a guard on a merchant ship.

In service to the captain you find yourself fighting the occasional pirate, though boredom and the tediousness of life aboard a ship is a more constant threat.

Nearly a year has passed since you joined the ship when the captain picks up a very unusual passenger...."

I wish I could pull this off a little better! This is one of the areas I think I need to work on as a dm- enforcing the passage of more natural time between adventure arcs... usually when the pcs pause for a few months in the game it's because they've chosen to.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
nemmerle said:
So, do people have a general ratio for their own games they've noticed? What was the largest disparity you have ever seen?
In LEW, a single battle can take a month. How's that for time ratio? :p

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Real time my campaigns tend to last 12 months
The campaigns about 2 years - and cover about 9 levels.
This still seems like unbelieveably fast leveling, but options are constrained by plot.

Crothian

First Post
Want to have some fun? Limit the availibility of teleport and other mass transit spells. My 18 month campaign covered about 20 years. They felt they had to travel a lot and 3-4 months on a ship here and there starts to add up fast. Plus they took a few months off here and there to make sure they could travel at the right times, traveling by ship in the month of storms and then winter is a really bad idea.

Remove ads