• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

In Hextor's Name (Completed 22 Oct 2004)

Lela

First Post
If I didn't know better, I'd say that Zalich is starting to like these guys.

Of course, I do know better and thus I'll only imply it.;)

Talix

Explorer
I'm strongly reminded of The Princess Bride: "Goodnight Westly, sleep tight, I'll most likely kill you in the morning." :D Somehow I suspect Zalich will be protesting the idiocy of his companions and planning to leave for the entirety of the campaign. :p

Nice updates!

arwink

Clockwork Golem
Nope, that's Kull.

"Goodnight Troilan, sleep thing. I'll most likely execute you in the morning."

Zalich's attitude becomes:

"It could be worse - you aren't Saltmarshers. I'm sticking with you until I find some way out of this hellhole."

Last edited:

Lela

First Post
arwink said:
Nope, that's Kull.

"Goodnight Troilan, sleep thing. I'll most likely execute you in the morning."

Zalich's attitude becomes:

"It could be worse - you aren't Saltmarshers. I'm sticking with you until I find some way out of this hellhole."

It's a sitcom for the whole family, really.

Capellan

Explorer
Kull's Fourth Report - Part 1

Saltmarsh
First Moon

To: Bishop-General Kartrak Visehart

Report from Kull Redfist

Sir,

It has become evident that the danger hanging over Saltmarsh is far more serious than a simple tribe of bestial Lizardfolk. It is incredible that these blinkered fools have survived for so long, so oblivious are they to their own surroundings.

After browbeating the village council into takes measures to defend themselves, I conducted a review of the locals and tested the skills of each with spear, club and sling. The best in each were made provisional sergeants, and assigned others to train. The most skilled are not always the best teachers, but there was not time before my departure to vet their skills any more carefully. I was resolved to undertake a more thorough evaluation as soon as I returned, however.

This done, I set out for the lizardfolk lair. As agreed, Saltmarsh had made their customs ship available for the journey, though the crew complement was clearly less than was usual: no doubt an effort to reduce costs. You would think they would attach more value to their own skins.

Though short-handed, the ship's captain made good time, and landed us in the agreed place. From there, we had only a march of a few miles to reach our destination. With the death of the druid, and the departure of Troilan to the town of Mellin, the band of castaways who followed me had been reduced from five to three. But, with the halfling's spells and the strong arms of Brodnak and Julianne, I thought we could bloody the nose of the lizardfolk and keep them from open attacks on the town.

I have come to expect incompetence from the locals in Saltmarsh: I did not expect it from those who had travelled with me. Perhaps the blight of apathy that afflicts the town is contagious:.

For a short time, things progressed as planned. I located the lizardfolk camp - a set of damp and marshy caverns - and led the others into it through a rear entrance. This was probably a stable or livestock area, as we came across three giant lizards in the first cave. These proved aggressive, but were quickly despatched. An encounter with dumb beasts such as these is more truly termed a slaughter, than a battle.

I led on, heading further into the complex, and we soon encountered a lizardfolk patrol: a dozen armed warriors, led by a shaman. Truly, these are a people who are prepared for war! Calling on Hextor's strength to aid me, I led the charge against them.

Perhaps the ease with which the lizards were overcome led the others to become complacent, or perhaps their feelings about the people of Saltmarsh robbed them of their purpose. I do not know the reason for their failure in this battle. Whatever the cause, however, I found myself battling the lizardfolk all but single-handedly. If Brodnak laid his sword against flesh at any time in the fight, I did not see it, while Julianne succumbed almost immediately to the magic of the shaman, suffering the delusion that he was her life-long friend.

Zalich, it is true, struggled as best he could to assist me, but a halfling with a makeshift club is no compensation for the failure of true warriors. Had not Hextor seen fit to bless me with his favour in all its might, I do not doubt that we would have fallen to the lizardfolk.

As it was, by the time I had crushed the skull of the last creature, there was not a single one of us who was not wounded close to death. Even after I used every scrap of curative magic I possessed, it was clear that to press on would be folly: we had bloodied the foe, but we were too few to prevail. Already the sounds of an alert were echoing through the caverns: the lizardfolk, at least, were not slow to respond to danger. The people of Saltmarsh could learn much from them.

I ordered the retreat, though the word was bitter in my mouth. The sound of scaled feet was already loud in the tunnels, and as I harried the others back toward the exit, I began to suspect that I had already left the retreat too late.

Last edited:

It should be amusing to see how Kull's negotiating skills interact with those of the lizard men. But to say more would be telling.

Man, I love these modules. :)

Lela

First Post
Aw, Kull has experienced the dreaded unlucky party battle. Though they survived, I'm thinking someone's going to get an earfull later.

Lela

First Post
Aw, Kull has experienced the dreaded unlucky party battle. Though they survived, I'm thinking someone's going to get an earfull later.

Capellan

Explorer
Kull's Fourth Report - Part 2

Within moments, it emerged that we were indeed surrounded, with a wall of lizardmen both before and behind us in the tunnel. This was a fine and rapid response to our incursion. Would that the people of Saltmarsh had such capability, we would never have been needed. The ability of our foes was at least some comfort. If I were to die, at least it would be at the hands of an enemy I could respect. Sorely wounded as we were, I saw little chance of escape. With no hope but a clean death, I spoke a prayer to Hextor, and led the charge.

Julianne and Zalich did not reach the enemy; trapped by grasping reeds that a shaman had animated, they quickly became helpless to move. The strength Hextor had granted me let me rip my way through the barrier, however, with the now raging Brodnak beside me. We struck their line with a mighty clash of arms, but their spears were too many: two barbs lodged in my flesh, and I fell.

I did not expect to wake. But wake I did, to strange news indeed. The lizardfolk; apparently impressed the carnage we had wrought on their forces; had proved willing to parley, though they equally obviously considered us their prisoners. Zalich was able to understand their tongue, and had conducted the negotiations while I was unconscious. It seemed the creatures were not arming to attack Saltmarsh, but to defend themselves from a tribe of sea monsters known as Sahuagin, who had already driven them from one home.

The mere mention of Sahuagin made Zalich turn his head and spit, and if they were able to drive the doughty lizardmen from their home, then they must be strong warriors. I have no doubt that Saltmarsh would be easily destroyed by them, were they to turn their attention toward it. This was obviously also the belief of our captors, as they had made no effort to contact the villagers for assistance, despite actively seeking out the aid of other races: sea elves and some beasts known as locathah.

Our appearance; accompanied as it was by bloodshed they could ill afford; had at least persuaded them that some kind of aid might be gained from alliance with Saltmarsh. Zalich unwisely expressed his doubts about this, but pledged that he at least would be willing to help. He also spoke in my name and in those of the others; an act for which he had no authority; but I endorsed his action once I knew of it. These Sahuagin are a real danger, and aiding the lizardmen against them will gain us strong allies.

Naturally, there was still the matter of the blood we had spilled. The lizardmen could ill afford the losses we had inflicted, and demanded recompense before they would negotiate with Saltmarsh. Their price was the destruction of a giant crocodile that had recently moved into their hunting grounds, and mauled several of their warriors. If we destroyed the beast and brought back its head, they would return to Saltmarsh with us to negotiate a treaty.

I accepted the offer, provided we were given a night to rest and prepare. They agreed to this condition, and the next morning - rested and healed - I led the others forth to destroy the crocodile, guided by one of the tribe's hunters.

The lizardman brought us swiftly to the water hole where the creature laired, and we found and slew it just as swiftly. Strong and powerful though it was, its hide could not turn the blows of my flail, nor the jets of flame unleashed by Zalich. Julianne and Brodnak were of less aid, seeming unable to land any solid blows, but in truth their aid was little needed.

Indeed, when the beast lay dead it seemed almost as if the fight had been too easy. Perhaps Hextor thought so too, for as the crocodile breathed its last, a lizard-like head suddenly poked out of the reeds around the water hole. It glared at us for a moment, then opened its mouth and spat forth a sizzling stream of acid, which splashed over me in an agonizing moment.

The pain was intense; I could literally see the flesh dissolving on my hands and arms; but I fought through it to call on Hextor's power, restoring some of the damage I had suffered. As I did so, the creature leapt into the water and slid beneath the surface. It swam powerfully toward us, visible only as a dark shadow in the water's depths.

It seemed our fight had disturbed a dragon.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads