D&D (2024) In Interview with GamesRadar, Chris Perkins Discusses New Books

TheSword

Legend
Whenever someone criticises the idea that popular = good, accusations of elitism follow. I don't buy it. Firstly, because marketing works. No-one wants to admit that they can be manipulated, everyone imagines themselves a cool cynic, but the reality is that we are all deeply fallible, and truly enormous sums of money are spent every year to exploit that.

Secondly, because 'lowest common denominator' isn't a criticism of the people being denominated. If person A likes spicy food, and person B does not, the dish I make to please them both will have a slight enough dusting of spice that both with find it tolerable. I end up cooking a mediocre dish in order to pander to the greatest number of people.
My comment about elitism was your assumption that people aren’t capable of making a rational buying decision and that only you see through the fog to the true path. I fully admit to liking MacDonalds and Coca Cola even though they are bad for me. But I’m not being tricked, I’m choosing to focus on one thing over another because at that point it’s what I care about. This is particularly the case with TTRP gamers, who are generally literate and imaginative.

Marketing does work of course. But you seem to be under the illusion that it convinces people to do something they don’t want to do. Rather than putting the products that people want in front of them. Most marketing is about understanding what your potential customer wants and making sure you provide it.

While marketing can distract from downsides - MacDonalds and Coca-cola being good examples - are you honestly saying that WotC marketing is doing this? What downsides does the marketing itself cover up? The only things that matter are that D&D feels overall like D&D, is a fun communal game to play and that people will want to keep playing it. I’m really struggling what downside exists that is being obfuscated by marketing? Obviously folks can always be lied to and tricked into believing things that aren’t true by people they trust but that isn’t marketing and I don’t think that is what’s happening here.

Your spice argument doesn’t hold up because you are assuming there are distinct camps of gamers and that folks who have issues with 5e are doing so on big macro terms like the spice level. When in fact disagreements about 5e are usually about extremely narrow (and in the grand scheme trivial) things like whether Rangers have spells and the uniqueness of the sorcerer. These are topics that the vast vast majority of diners just don’t care about. Your gaming arguments equate to being that WotC used Bolivian chillies not Argentinian chillies and therefore the dish is mediocre. I say mmm, the spice level here is nice and crack on.

All this ignores the fact that when it comes down to hobbies and in particular relatively cheap and accessible ones like D&D. Popularity is an extremely important measure, because it means the system gets support and development over a sustained period of time, which to be honest is all I want. The reality is that WotC is changing its spice balance in a series of small changes to try and get the balance even better. They’re just not using the spice you like.

In truth popular just means liked and accessible by more people. I don’t know why folks are so against us saying it’s amazing and brilliant that D&D is liked and accessible to so many more people. Conversely what are you expecting us to care about that is more important than that?

Last edited:

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Because its very easy for us nerds to do the math and go LOOK AT THAT, when the reality of it coming up in play is actually quite low.

For every "LOOK AT THAT IF I DIDNT MAX MY PRIMARY I WOULD HAVE MISSED BY 1!!" there are likely dozen if not hundreds of times a player beats or misses a roll by 3 or more.

But that time you snuck through that last attack, or god help you missed by 1? Thats what people remember, and so "I NEED FLOATING ASI!!!"
I mean, we can quite easily quantify exactly how often it happens: hitting the exact value on the dot is a 1/20 chance, always, assuming the AC is hittable in the first place. From there, it's all just a matter of how many rolls would be a failure. In most cases, a minimum 50% hit rate is kinda important because, y'know, failing more than 50% of the time tends to be really really noticeable and not very fun. That means we can, I think, presume a maximum of 50% miss rate. Missing by 3 or more would thus occur, generously, about 40% of the time. 0.4/0.05 = 8.

So you miss by 3 or more about eight times as often as you hit exactly on the dot--being very generous to the "miss" side. Shifting up to the more typical 60% hit rate, you still hit on the dot precisely one in twenty attack rolls, but you miss by three or more 30% of the time. 0.3/0.05 = 6. Meaning, you miss by 3 or more about six times as often as you hit on the dot. Not dozens or hundreds--about six times.

Given how good it feels to hit precisely on the dot, I'd say it's a pretty fair trade-off, especially since ASIs also increase the flat damage you deal in most contexts.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don't think you like 5e; you like the game you were always playing, and 5e made you feel validated.

Mod note:
Please avoid telling people what they think or how they feel. You can't read minds over the internet.

The short version is: 5e doesn't just work, but it's vague enough that people have convinced themselves it does.

You may be unaware of just how insulting this is. Again, you are assuming you know the details of people's thoughts in a negative aspect, which is highly presumptive on your part. Please stop.

Do you also believe in flat earth?
Because your argumentation sounds familiar...

How about you not get insulting your self, please and thanks.

Both of you need to start treating folks with more respect for their persons and their intelligence.

Oofta

Legend
Sorry if I insulted you. It was certainly a provocative comment, but the point was to provoke consideration. Like, what is it about 5e, specifically, that you like? Because flighty fighters, wizards with limited spells, d20s, saving throws, armour class, etc. are just tropes. These elements signify the brand of D&D, but the way the game is designed from edition to edition has changed drastically. When I say D&D the brand has overtaken D&D the game, that's what I mean.

You can have a conversation without telling people what they think or feel. It crosses a line and is something the moderators don't look kindly on if I cared enough to report it. Which to be clear isn't a threat, if I was offended enough to report it I would have. Just letting you know what the policy is. [EDIT: too late.]

If you didn't use reaction tables, encounter distance tables, morale rules, predeclared actions in combat rounds, or random encounters in the editions that had them, which game were you actually playing? If you did, what game are you playing now? 1e and 5e are simply not the same game, not even close. This is what I mean by the power of nostalgia and branding: WotC are in the business of making us feel like it's all the same thing.

D&D has always been customized by groups that play. I think that's part of the reason it's been so successful. I've been playing D&D since OD&D and I never used random encounters. How the **** does that mean I wasn't playing D&D? Who elected you the arbiter of what qualifies? I don't care about the specific rules implementation, I care that I can use the rules to implement a similar character concept while still resolving things using a similar process. D&D 1E and 5E share the same DNA and most classes feel quite similar when it comes time to roll the dice.

Again, you don't get to tell me what I think or feel.

Whenever someone criticises the idea that popular = good, accusations of elitism follow. I don't buy it. Firstly, because marketing works. No-one wants to admit that they can be manipulated, everyone imagines themselves a cool cynic, but the reality is that we are all deeply fallible, and truly enormous sums of money are spent every year to exploit that.

Popular just means that the game is enjoyable enough that a lot of people spend their time and money on the game. Unlike cable companies (until recently anyway when I could switch to wireless internet) D&D does not have monopoly power. The game is good enough for people. On the other hand D&D's popularity is not a reflection of it's quality related to other games, it does certainly have a lot of built in advantages. But quality is a nebulous made-up thing anyway while also not being a reflection on other games. D&D has qualities I enjoy and shares qualities millions of other people also value. But "quality"? It's pretty meaningless. White bread was considered higher quality than whole wheat for a long time. Many "quality" restaurants soak their products in butter, use heavy cream, serve very high fat cuts of meat, provide a meal that is incredibly high in calories and quite unhealthy. Yet it tastes good so it's considered "quality" if you can afford it. I haven't eaten at McDonald in forever, but you used to be able to get a decent salad there, from a health eating perspective those salads were higher quality than most 4 star restaurants.

Back to D&D. I don't remember the last time I saw an advertisement for D&D. I've had plenty of opportunities to discuss, read up on and play one shots of other games. They simply don't offer anything that appeals to me enough to switch.

Secondly, because 'lowest common denominator' isn't a criticism of the people being denominated. If person A likes spicy food, and person B does not, the dish I make to please them both will have a slight enough dusting of spice that both with find it tolerable. I end up cooking a mediocre dish in order to pander to the greatest number of people.

You seem to assume that people care all that much about rule details. Which is a refrain I hear, that game X has more "elegant" rules system. Thing is that the vast majority of players are quite casual about it, what's important to them is the connection to their character and the fantasy it evokes along with a connection with other people around the table. The rules? The rules just have to provide a solid foundation for the game. D&D 5E does that for me, it provides me structure support for sharing stories with my group in a structured way without, for lack of a better term, getting in the way of that shared story telling. Something I couldn't say about 4E which doubled down and then some on 3E's one way to play and was too tightly structured for me. On the other hand, I looked into PbtA games and those are too free form, too demanding of players improv abilities. It was too "loose". D&D hits that sweet spot of not too crunchy, not to reliant on extemporization.

As for self-reference of the class design: people who are comfortable with the tropes don't have a problem with it. They're also the target audience for nostalgia bait. Without that 50-year context (and even with it, frankly), the ranger and druid are bizarre and idiosyncratic.

I don't see having a core set of concepts being a bad thing. The implementation of those concepts absolutely matter. Not to pick on 4E but one of the issues some people (myself included, eventually) had was that the different tropes lost their identity. Fighters were suddenly doing things that could only be attributed to the supernatural not just extreme skill, even if that skill goes. By the way "nostalgia bait" is pretty insulting as well. There's nothing wrong with enjoying something that has been around for a few decades and sometimes the old tropes are tropes because they cover the distinct areas that are relevant.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
The problem is that "popular = good" and "popular != good" are equally facile statements. It imagines that quality (something being "good") is a singular spectrum, something that can only be represented as a 0-100 score on Rotten Tomatoes, or a Famitsu 40/40, or by the number of Michelin stars.

It neglects that something being broadly consumed and enjoyed, even if not to the tastes of a true connoisseur, carries its own form of quality.

Oofta

Legend
The problem is that "popular = good" and "popular != good" are equally facile statements. It imagines that quality (something being "good") is a singular spectrum, something that can only be represented as a 0-100 score on Rotten Tomatoes, or a Famitsu 40/40, or by the number of Michelin stars.

It neglects that something being broadly consumed and enjoyed, even if not to the tastes of a true connoisseur, carries its own form of quality.

The obvious example is movies. Many hit movies that are enjoyed by millions are panned by reviewers. Meanwhile, movies that reviewers laud oftentimes leave most people cold. Have you seen The Covenant by Guy Richie? The movie that many critics rated as one of the best movies of 2023? No? Well neither did a lot of people even if it is highly ranked by the relative handful of people that did go see it. Just because something is considered high quality by a subset of people, does not mean that most of the general population who just want to be entertained will pay to see it. Conversely name and branding doesn't mean success, just look at the recent MCU movies. You can't sustain a product on name and reputation alone for long, not when it's an open market. You certainly don't see significant growth.

But just like movies such as Barbie was a smash hit while the aforementioned The Covenant was a flop, D&D simply provides a game that a lot of people enjoy. Even if the auteurs of the world think it's low quality.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
The obvious example is movies. Many hit movies that are enjoyed by millions are panned by reviewers. Meanwhile, movies that reviewers laud oftentimes leave most people cold. Have you seen The Covenant by Guy Richie? The movie that many critics rated as one of the best movies of 2023? No? Well neither did a lot of people even if it is highly ranked by the relative handful of people that did go see it. Just because something is considered high quality by a subset of people, does not mean that most of the general population who just want to be entertained will pay to see it. Conversely name and branding doesn't mean success, just look at the recent MCU movies. You can't sustain a product on name and reputation alone for long, not when it's an open market. You certainly don't see significant growth.

But just like movies such as Barbie was a smash hit while the aforementioned The Covenant was a flop, D&D simply provides a game that a lot of people enjoy. Even if the auteurs of the world think it's low quality.
Agreed. Although I would be remiss not to mention that Barbie is in that rarefied air of movies that were both cultural hits AND beloved by critics.

Oofta

Legend
Agreed. Although I would be remiss not to mention that Barbie is in that rarefied air of movies that were both cultural hits AND beloved by critics.

Maybe I should have used The Super Marios Bros. Movie (critics 59%, audience 95%) . While 59% from critics isn't great, it's not terrible. For that you have to look at something like The Meg 2 (rotten tomatoes rating 27% critics, 73% audience) was at #15 while Guy Ritchie's The Covenant (83%, 98%) was #120. Barbie for those curious was 88%, 83%.

On the other hand I agree with @TheSword, critics would rank D&D 5E far higher than that 27% if we had a rotten tomatoes for TTRPGs.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Maybe I should have used The Super Marios Bros. Movie (critics 59%, audience 95%) . While 59% from critics isn't great, it's not terrible. For that you have to look at something like The Meg 2 (rotten tomatoes rating 27% critics, 73% audience) was at #15 while Guy Ritchie's The Covenant (83%, 98%) was #120. Barbie for those curious was 88%, 83%.

On the other hand I agree with @TheSword, critics would rank D&D 5E far higher than that 27% if we had a rotten tomatoes for TTRPGs.
There really isn't any sort of institutional critical establishment in TTRPG circles...however, 5E books from WotC and 3rd parties have won awards from what institutions exist.

Remove ads