• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

In need of a system.

Zipster

Explorer
I've been planning a campaign for some of my friends set in a homebrew world. In theory, a homebrew system would be wonderful, but the one I've come up with so far feels a bit too convoluted.

I've looked through various systems at a glance, and haven't been completely sold on any one of them yet.

Part of the difficulty of this is that I'm foregoing the traditional class mentality, and am also trying to get out of the Tank/Healer/DPS meta that often happens.

With only - at most - three players, I don't need anything elaborate. One of the issues I'm facing is that I'm striving to allow each of my PC's to feel truly unique, which - likewise - will play into the overall narrative with their own individual skillset. Thus, one of my players is playing something akin to The Witcher - without the magical element. He's using a longsword and relying heavily on alchemy, thus I'm trying to allow him some unique abilities/skills and whatnot to set him apart from the others if they decide to take any alchemy-related skills, or feats (however I ultimately do this.)

I'm having a hard time trying to find a universal way for these unique abilities and skills to progress.

I expect I'm going to be looking for a slower-paced, strategic system; one in which "I attack!" doesn't always cut it. I'm not very fond of the concept of Hit Points either, as in my head if a human being gets cleaved by a great ax it's most likely going to be a serious wound - even if someone is wearing some sort of armor.

If I had to summarize the feel of the combat I'm looking for, I would have to say it's akin to the Dark Souls video game: slow and deliberate, where individual weapons have their own strength and weaknesses: a spear, or halberd keeping people at range, a dagger allowing for increased mobility and the like. I'm also very fond of concept of endurance found within the game, which - again, slows down the combat even more as players must plan their attacks more carefully lest they grow tired.

The downside - as we all know - is that this can make combat very drawn out. In theory, with successful hits resulting in serious wounds, it'll speed things up. But, I know that such an indepth combat system isn't right for every encounter - especially random encounters such as the run-of-the-mill trash-bandit ambush, thus I'm hoping to find something that offers the flexibility of switching to a light-version of the combat as well for trash-encounters.

Any ideas, or suggestions of mechanics that I could work with?

innerdude

Legend
Off-the-cuff, straight off the top of my head, Runequest sounds very much to be in the vein of system you're looking for.

If you don't want to pay a ton of money up front, check out the Legend PDF on DriveThruRPG.com. It cost $1 (yes, $1), and is an OGL version of Runequest with all of the setting-specific information (Glorantha) stripped out.

If you want the actual setting information and the most up-to-date Runequest rules, Mongoose just released Runequest 6.

I'm not a big fan of the system, but if the customization and unique "feel" of weaponry is that important, GURPS emulates that gameplay style very well.

Basic Roleplay (BRP) Fantasy might also suit your taste; it's a second-cousin, so to speak, of Runequest that takes a more "toolkit" approach (i.e., the rules are there, but tweaking them to fit your campaign setting is up to you).

In order of rules complexity, from easiest to hardest, would be:

1. BRP
2. Runequest
3. GURPS

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Depending on how you feel about D20 based games, Mutsnts & Masterminds with its fantasy supplements, mainly for flexibility. True20 might be another good choice for those who prefer D20 systems.

However, my system of choice would be HERO (4th-6th edition). No game is more flexible, so any character concept can be modeled. It has combat maneuvers that can be used armed or unarmed, depending on how the PC is built. Combat may be as lethal or cinematic as you want...within the same character. If this is a pure fantasy campaign, get the main book*, Fantasy HERO, Ultimate Martial Artist.

* or books, if using 6th.

Last edited:

Argyle King

Legend
What style of game do you want? I mentioned GURPS, but I forgot to point out that there is more than one style of fantasy available with GURPS.

There is the Dungeon Fantasy product line which can be found here: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy

There is also GURPS Fantasy which can be found here: GURPS Fantasy

Thirdly, GURPS Banestorm is also available: GURPS Banestorm

Personally, I think Dungeon Fantasy is excellent if you want a few things sketched out for you already. While GURPS does not have classes -and you also alluded to wanted to go classless- DF provides what GURPS calls templates which covers some of the common fantasy tropes and mimics the idea of class. Even if you do not use them, they are still nice shortcuts to give you an idea of what a particular character type might have.

Fantasy is a somewhat heavy book in that it spends a lot of time talking about fantasy as a genre and looks at how to evoke different feels from a game depending upon what type of fantasy you want. I think it's a good book to help put a little thought to ideas if you're stuck on exactly what you want. I also feel it's a very good book even if you do not play GURPS because not very much of the book involves game mechanics. Fantasy is not require to run a fantasy campaign. None of the GURPS supplements are required for that matter; all you really need is the Basic Set. However, most of the GURPS books are (in my opinion) of such quality that it's nice to have them anyway -even if you don't necessarily need them.

Banestorm is a setting with a lot of detail. The basic idea behind it is a fantasy setting which has been influenced by some elements of real world Earth (i.e. Christianity, Islam, etc) being transported there. There's a nice plot hook built into the setting which allows you to take things from pretty much anywhere (i.e. D&D, Pathfinder, etc) and place them into the setting and have it be plausible.

If you are unfamiliar with the system and are hesitant about purchasing a product without first trying it, GURPS Lite is free and can be found here: GURPS Lite

If there is one book I would heavily suggest for running a fantasy game of any kind, I would most certainly suggest GURPS Magic. GURPS Magic

If you go over to the SJ Games forum, there are a few gripes here and there about things concerning the specifics of certain spells, but I don't believe there's anything which is overly noticeable. Even some of the worst offenders are still less noticeable than a lot of what you'd find in the majority of D&D supplements.

TreChriron

Adventurer
Supporter

If you want the actual setting information and the most up-to-date Runequest rules, [-]Mongoose[/-] just released Runequest 6.

Actually, Runequest 6 was developed by the original authors of Runequest II (now Legend) via their own company called The Design Mechanism, published by Moon Design Publications - who are handling the distribution.

The Design Mechanism now has the license to produce Runequest and Glorantha material.

Just wanted to give credit where credit is due! :-D

Also, Runequest is an amazing gritty in-depth game worth taking a look at!

Remove ads