• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E In your opinion, what is the most underrated spell in the PHB and why?

vandaexpress

First Post
Post title says it all. What spell or spells do you think are commonly overlooked that shouldn't be? Spells that you don't see or hear about very often that you think are better than most people probably give them credit for.

I'll go first (and probably prove my ignorance), in running some encounters recently (working with a pre-written spell selection) I found myself quite pleased with sleet storm as it shut down a bunch of problematic concentration spells the party had going at the same time. Combine with the heavy obscurement and wide AOE and this spell was able to wreak havoc on the party.

Same with fog cloud with an enormous AOE to block party visibility in large areas of the battle map. I love using these spells now.

DiscRover55

First Post
I agree Fog Cloud is underrated because not only does it work in combat but out of combat too. Party needs a quick getaway after stealing some crap? Fog Cloud. Started a fight at the tavern? Fog Cloud. Need some privacy when your character is pinching a loaf? Fog Cllllllloud.

HarrisonF

Explorer
I've been using Detect Thoughts a lot more than I thought I would. The fact you can mind read people without them knowing is huge and has really changed how Hoard of the Dragon Queen is going for us. Also being able to tell if there are others on the far side of a door, or in the next room is big for scouting purposes. So both purposes are more useful than I thought they would be. Wouldn't leave home without the spell!

Last edited:

HarrisonF

Explorer
Fog Cloud is tremendous. The Great Weapon Master/Sharpshooter neutralizer. Only problem is it makes fights drag on and on.
How are people using fog cloud in combat? I've tried using it by casting it between archers and our party and the archers just spread out and shoot around it. 20' radius isn't hard to avoid. Do they stand in it themselves? Or cast in a higher slot?

I've been using Detect Thoughts a lot more than I thought I would. The fact you can mind read people without them knowing is huge and has really changed how Hoard of the Dragon Queen is going for us. Also being able to tell if there are others on the far side of a door, or in the next room is big for scouting purposes. So both purposes are more useful than I thought they would be. Wouldn't leave home with the spell!

If its so great why wouldn't you leave home with it?

Coredump

Explorer
Heat Metal.

Its pretty much an auto-win against anything wearing armor. An extra 2D8 damage per round, and disadv on all attacks.... and no saves...

vandaexpress

First Post
How are people using fog cloud in combat? I've tried using it by casting it between archers and our party and the archers just spread out and shoot around it. 20' radius isn't hard to avoid. Do they stand in it themselves? Or cast in a higher slot?

Chokepoints. It doesn't even have to be a true chokepoint. In my case, I threw it down in a 20' wide section of a courtyard, so basically it blocked off vision of everything on the other side of the courtyard.

Remove ads