Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

MarkB

Legend
I watched this yesterday with my Dad and enjoyed it more than I thought I would given some of the commentary I had seen when it came out. But the one literal plot hole that irks me is how the portal to another time is extremely obvious, and the MacGuffin is supposed to be all math, and yet nobody has just run into these things accidentally from time to time?
It's implied in the "false deck" analogy that the dial was only ever intended to bring someone back to that specific place and time. Maybe these "fractures in time" are nowhere near as commonplace as Archimedes implied in his writing. Maybe there was only ever that one portal in all of human history.

Just seen this. It wasn't the greatest in the sequence, but it wasn't terrible. But even on my relatively small TV de-aged Ford looked fake in the opening sequence. It was the hair, a complete giveaway. Too stiff, too uniform in colour, and less grey than it had been six years ago (for the character). I don't think they had Harmony Hairspray and Grecian 2000 in 1945.

But agree with above post. It's implied that there was only ever one time portal (which Archimedes knew would be used because it had already happened).

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I saw this movie a few days ago. It was decent, but not great. Much better than Crystal Skull. It ends up being #4 out of the 5 movies, because the first three were all so good, not because it was bad.

Just seen this. It wasn't the greatest in the sequence, but it wasn't terrible. But even on my relatively small TV de-aged Ford looked fake in the opening sequence. It was the hair, a complete giveaway. Too stiff, too uniform in colour, and less grey than it had been six years ago (for the character). I don't think they had Harmony Hairspray and Grecian 2000 in 1945.

Unless I am missing something in your comment, it was a lot more than 6 years between the opening and the main part of the movie, more like 25-30 years in between.

Bagpuss

Legend
We watched it recently as well.

The early chase scene with Indy on a horse just had us laughing at the stupidity of the whole thing from then on.
Indy rides off on a horse, through a parade, chased by a motorbike. They start at the same time but Indy has a lead.

30 seconds later the other goon, 20 seconds later that car has managed to negotiate the the parade accelerate and overtake both the bike and the horse and end up in front.

Stopping Indy, they all come to a halt.

Within 10 seconds the woman who has been chasing on foot, through the crowd catches up with them all.

Indy enters a subway station... rides along to the next platform at the speed of the train, and the woman who has run from the street above and down to the next platform in the same time and isn't even out of breath.

Why is she some sort of agent and not a professional sprinter?

Still it wasn't Crystal Skull, so there is that.

Clint_L

Hero
The plot really falls apart at the end. I loved the opening scene with the de-aged Indy; I would have preferred the whole film be set in 1945.

Remove ads