Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

I saw it on the plane during my recent trip. I feel like they fell int he hole of thinking they had to keep too many tropes. Specifically, the bad guy is a nazi one. Though, they didnt completely ruin the movie like Crystal Skull. It was fine, but Ill probably not watch it again.

Really? Mads Mikkelsen as a Nazi was a big selling point of the film for me. (which is a little ironic given how underrated I thought his performance was in A Hidden Life)

I also liked that the went with the idea that America used Nazi scientists to get to the moon as a metaphor for overlooking the past in pursuit of the future.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Really? Mads Mikkelsen as a Nazi was a big selling point of the film for me. (which is a little ironic given how underrated I thought his performance was in A Hidden
Oh, not me. I love Mads and I felt like his talent was totally wasted with such a bland character.
I also liked that the went with the idea that America used Nazi scientists to get to the moon as a metaphor for overlooking the past in pursuit of the future.
See, this kind of thing is more interesting. I kinda wish Indy had to stop "top men" from nuking the planet with stuff they don't understand. Though, I think the filmmakers wouldn't be bold enough to have American bad guys. They instead went with nazi bait and switch.

R_J_K75

Legend
I saw it in the theater when it came out late June and thought it was terrible. I just re-watched it and have a totally different opinion and I liked it a lot more the second time around. It definitely has the feel and charm of an Indy flick that Kingdom of the Crystal Skull lacked. I caught a lot of subtleties that I didn't catch the first time. I know Karen Allen was disappointed that she didn't get a bigger role in the film, but I think that last scene wraps up the Harrison Ford era of the franchise perfectly. I hope Im dead before they re-cast the role with Chris Pratt or someone else. Ford was on a late-night show and was asked his feelings on the role being re-cast and his answer was to the effect, You can't, I'm Indy!!

Here's one of my favorite Harrison Ford moments, he's clearly drunk. Parental discretion advised for language.

Ryujin

Legend
I was never one of the rabid Indy followers, just as I was never over the moon for the Star Wars franchise, but it was a fine movie. I felt like it walked back the shark jumping of "Crystal Skull" a bit. The franchise always had a bit of the supernatural in it, from the git go, but it was always a bit of deus ex machina, in the old movie serial sense.

MarkB

Legend
It was fine, but it never hit the peaks of a proper Indy movie. The full Indy theme was more hinted at than played outright, and it felt like the reason for that was that there was never an action set-piece awesome enough to justify it, not even the start and end ones. This was simply a movie that included Indiana Jones as a character.

The Soloist

Adventurer
It was fine, but it never hit the peaks of a proper Indy movie. The full Indy theme was more hinted at than played outright, and it felt like the reason for that was that there was never an action set-piece awesome enough to justify it, not even the start and end ones. This was simply a movie that included Indiana Jones as a character.

Harrison Ford is 80+. When he filmed Crystal Skull he said he was already too old for that kind of stuff and that was in 2008.

Wolfram stout

Adventurer
Supporter
I resisted watching it but we finally did last night because it was 'free' on Disney+. It was okay, but I don't think I would watch it again. I'll rewatch I and III anytime time.

It's like Star Wars they should have left it alone after the third movie. The sunset ride was perfect.
I love the different perspectives. I am a big Indiana Jones fan and think the third one is the bottom of the 5 because of the humor. They destroyed a lot of the feel, for cheap laughs. Although the last bit once they are at the Grail cave is very good.

The Soloist

Adventurer
I love the different perspectives. I am a big Indiana Jones fan and think the third one is the bottom of the 5 because of the humor. They destroyed a lot of the feel, for cheap laughs. Although the last bit once they are at the Grail cave is very good.
Interesting. The father-son badinage between Ford and Connery always makes me laugh so hard. I sometimes prefer Crusades over Raiders. It's a toss-up.

Remove ads