• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

I saw it on the plane during my recent trip. I feel like they fell int he hole of thinking they had to keep too many tropes. Specifically, the bad guy is a nazi one. Though, they didnt completely ruin the movie like Crystal Skull. It was fine, but Ill probably not watch it again.

Really? Mads Mikkelsen as a Nazi was a big selling point of the film for me. (which is a little ironic given how underrated I thought his performance was in A Hidden Life)

I also liked that the went with the idea that America used Nazi scientists to get to the moon as a metaphor for overlooking the past in pursuit of the future.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Really? Mads Mikkelsen as a Nazi was a big selling point of the film for me. (which is a little ironic given how underrated I thought his performance was in A Hidden
Oh, not me. I love Mads and I felt like his talent was totally wasted with such a bland character.
I also liked that the went with the idea that America used Nazi scientists to get to the moon as a metaphor for overlooking the past in pursuit of the future.
See, this kind of thing is more interesting. I kinda wish Indy had to stop "top men" from nuking the planet with stuff they don't understand. Though, I think the filmmakers wouldn't be bold enough to have American bad guys. They instead went with nazi bait and switch.

R_J_K75

Legend
I saw it in the theater when it came out late June and thought it was terrible. I just re-watched it and have a totally different opinion and I liked it a lot more the second time around. It definitely has the feel and charm of an Indy flick that Kingdom of the Crystal Skull lacked. I caught a lot of subtleties that I didn't catch the first time. I know Karen Allen was disappointed that she didn't get a bigger role in the film, but I think that last scene wraps up the Harrison Ford era of the franchise perfectly. I hope Im dead before they re-cast the role with Chris Pratt or someone else. Ford was on a late-night show and was asked his feelings on the role being re-cast and his answer was to the effect, You can't, I'm Indy!!

Here's one of my favorite Harrison Ford moments, he's clearly drunk. Parental discretion advised for language.

Ryujin

Legend
I was never one of the rabid Indy followers, just as I was never over the moon for the Star Wars franchise, but it was a fine movie. I felt like it walked back the shark jumping of "Crystal Skull" a bit. The franchise always had a bit of the supernatural in it, from the git go, but it was always a bit of deus ex machina, in the old movie serial sense.

MarkB

Legend
It was fine, but it never hit the peaks of a proper Indy movie. The full Indy theme was more hinted at than played outright, and it felt like the reason for that was that there was never an action set-piece awesome enough to justify it, not even the start and end ones. This was simply a movie that included Indiana Jones as a character.

The Soloist

Adventurer
It was fine, but it never hit the peaks of a proper Indy movie. The full Indy theme was more hinted at than played outright, and it felt like the reason for that was that there was never an action set-piece awesome enough to justify it, not even the start and end ones. This was simply a movie that included Indiana Jones as a character.

Harrison Ford is 80+. When he filmed Crystal Skull he said he was already too old for that kind of stuff and that was in 2008.

Wolfram stout

Adventurer
Supporter
I resisted watching it but we finally did last night because it was 'free' on Disney+. It was okay, but I don't think I would watch it again. I'll rewatch I and III anytime time.

It's like Star Wars they should have left it alone after the third movie. The sunset ride was perfect.
I love the different perspectives. I am a big Indiana Jones fan and think the third one is the bottom of the 5 because of the humor. They destroyed a lot of the feel, for cheap laughs. Although the last bit once they are at the Grail cave is very good.

The Soloist

Adventurer
I love the different perspectives. I am a big Indiana Jones fan and think the third one is the bottom of the 5 because of the humor. They destroyed a lot of the feel, for cheap laughs. Although the last bit once they are at the Grail cave is very good.
Interesting. The father-son badinage between Ford and Connery always makes me laugh so hard. I sometimes prefer Crusades over Raiders. It's a toss-up.

Remove ads