Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

I just saw this. It was very good. The only flaws I noticed were that the CGI on the one guy's muscles was kind of bad, the car in that one chase scene had very inconsistent mass, and that we're expected to believe that Archimedes built the one trap dungeon as a working thing in the same time it took Lucasfilm to build it as props (and while under siege no less), and the fact that orbital precession probably would have had a bigger effect than continental drift

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
I just saw this. It was very good. The only flaws I noticed were that the CGI on the one guy's muscles was kind of bad, the car in that one chase scene had very inconsistent mass, and that we're expected to believe that Archimedes built the one trap dungeon as a working thing in the same time it took Lucasfilm to build it as props (and while under siege no less), and the fact that orbital precession probably would have had a bigger effect than continental drift
Yeah, I did not care too much for the continental drift notion. I mean, there has been, what, a matter of a few feet at most since Archimedes' time? In my head-canon, I think Indy just said that to distract Voller and make him second guess himself. Voller should have realized that his calculations were correct -- the 1969 rift was in the place and time he had calculated. Again, in my head-canon, there was a rift in 1939 as well, but none of the rifts are connected to each other. As alluded to in the scene with Archimedes, the device was meant to bring aid from the future to the siege, not allow travel to other rifts.

IIRC there were a couple of scenes where the one guy was clearly replaced by a cgi enhanced stunt double. (Either that I was seeing things as a result of the fact that the theater had free refills and I had had about 4 liters of full-caffeine cola)

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
IIRC there were a couple of scenes where the one guy was clearly replaced by a cgi enhanced stunt double. (Either that I was seeing things as a result of the fact that the theater had free refills and I had had about 4 liters of full-caffeine cola)
No, there's a particularly weightless moment when Indy or one of the others is supposed to be jumping from car to car atop a train, but looks like he weighs as much as party balloon.

... we're expected to believe that Archimedes built the one trap dungeon as a working thing in the same time it took Lucasfilm to build it as props (and while under siege no less), and the fact that orbital precession probably would have had a bigger effect than continental drift
Yeah, I did not care too much for the continental drift notion. I mean, there has been, what, a matter of a few feet at most since Archimedes' time?

The continental drift was a red herring. The device was always meant to bring people from the future back to Archimedes time to help with the battle. It wasn't a time machine as much as it was a homing beacon.

Remove ads