• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - How to get that feel in an RPG?

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
Just saw the movie today. Movies like this make me want to play a game that tries to capture the feel of the movie. What system(s) best model the action sequences? What tips do GMs experienced in this type of game have for those of us looking to add this kind of thrilling action to any of our games? And, how do you keep this kind of action going in a campaign without it becoming tired?

Last edited:

I'd also recommend, if you can find it, the White Wolf game Adventure!. (Available in both D20 and Original flavors.) The entire point to that game is to recreate the feel of pulp adventure, and while I've never played it, it certainly reads like it'll do the job well.

I'm especially fond of the "Dramatic Editing" mechanic, as a means of recreating the "lucky coincidences" so common to pulp fiction.

C.W.Richeson

Explorer
I was very easily running the movie in Spirit of the Century in my head while I watched it. Declarations, Stunts, scene Aspects, the works. I highly recommend Spirit of the Century for that feel.

Wik

First Post
Here's how you capture the Crystal Skull.

Take everything you like about your D&D franchise... and crap on it. Problem solved.

[Sblock]I'm sorry, but that movie just made me angry. Aliens + Indiana Jones = Yuck.[/sblock]

Please remember to [sblock] all spoilers, as not everyone has seen the movie. Also, while you're free to have your own opinions, please remember to keep it civil.

- Xath

Last edited by a moderator:

smootrk

First Post
The Pulp Toolkit for Savage Worlds is geared for this genre... still I haven't seen the flick yet; my first chance will be Tues after Memorial Day.

Crothian

First Post
GURPs has a really good book that covers 50's called Atomic Horror. The other pulp games are good but they aren't set in the 50's so this can help them out.

The Cardinal

First Post
GURPS4e (using !skills - like Science! or Whip! - and lots of cinematic options) + GURPS Cliffhangers + GURPS Atomic Horror = awesome pulp game

Remove ads