• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Infinite damage at level 1

jester_gl

First Post
While I do find the ardent lackluster, Wormhole Plunge is a daily that basically read infinite damage in a burst 1 centered on your target (melee range). This does not require to hit, and the target can save or not, it doesn't matter.

This daily power as an effect line that teleport the target, then create some sort of pulling teleportation square. As a FREE ACTION, you can teleport someone in the square 3 squares. You can take as many free action as you want during your turn and during other character turn.

Simply teleport the guy up 3 square.

When he falls, teleport again. With the errata he now has a save. Big deal! If he saves, teleport him again.

The only limit I could find to this is the maximum number of square you can fall in a round, but I couldn't find the page for that (aerial combat?).

Help me find a way to make sense of this. This is just insane.

Tale

First Post
When you are granted "a free action" to do something, you are only granted one. That's kind of what "a" means, one. You can take as many free actions as you like, but not of the granted actions.

SmiteMakesRight

First Post
That and no matter if it 'technically' functions that way, it'd get smacked by the DM's Anti-SOBhammer pretty quickly. If it's obvious an ability isn't meant to function that way, I doubt it'd fly with any half-decent DM.

Samir

Explorer
When you are granted "a free action" to do something, you are only granted one. That's kind of what "a" means, one. You can take as many free actions as you like, but not of the granted actions.

"The attack creates a zone in the space that the target vacated. The zone lasts until the end of your next turn. Any creature that starts its turn within 3 squares of the zone is pulled 1 square toward it or into it. As a free action, you can teleport a creature within the zone 3 squares."

Since there's no trigger, I'm pretty sure that you can teleport as many creatures in the zone as you like, as long as the zone lasts. This works, RAW.

Fanaelialae

Legend
"The attack creates a zone in the space that the target vacated. The zone lasts until the end of your next turn. Any creature that starts its turn within 3 squares of the zone is pulled 1 square toward it or into it. As a free action, you can teleport a creature within the zone 3 squares."

Since there's no trigger, I'm pretty sure that you can teleport as many creatures in the zone as you like, as long as the zone lasts. This works, RAW.

And RAW, the DM can put a stop to it.

PHB pg 267
The DM can restrict the number of free actions in a turn.

Stalker0

Legend
The RAW that the power in theory can provide infinite damage is correct. Free actions are free, so you could do infinite teleports.

The RAW also allows the DM to restrict the number of free actions when he feels its appropriate.

Even so, being able to do 3d10 damage to every enemy in the area seems pretty sweet.

Journeymanmage

First Post

Tale's point is not the number of creatures ... it's the rinse and repeat (teleport, drop back into the target square and teleport again) during the same round on the same target.

jester_gl said:
This daily power as an effect line that teleport the target, then create some sort of pulling teleportation square. As a FREE ACTION, you can teleport someone in the square 3 squares. You can take as many free action as you want during your turn and during other character turn. ...

Any creature that starts its turn within 3 squares of the zone is pulled 1 square toward it or into it. As a free action, you can teleport a creature within the zone 3 squares.

- A creature starts his turn in the zone, you choose then whether or not, as a free action to teleport it up to 3 squares. Assume you say 3 squares up ... assume it fails it's save ... it is teleported 3 squares up and falls back into the triggering space / zone ... roll damage as needed. Your Free Action is done. You can not then teleport the target again. The trigger, for your >singular free action< on that target, is by the creature: starting his turn in the zone. It started it's turn, you teleported it as >a< free action, the teleport is resolved, therefore your free action is resolved, if the creature can it continues it's turn.

Stalker0 said:
The RAW that the power in theory can provide infinite damage is correct. Free actions are free, so you could do infinite teleports. ...

Disagree. Creature starts turn in zone ... etc.. You drop them ... your "a free action" to teleport them is done. The trigger was "starts his turn in the zone". You are given a singular free action (in relation to this power) upon each trigger of "starts turn in zone". You can not keep using free actions to teleport the same creature on the same turn.

Samir said:

Disagree. Trigger is "Starts his turn in the zone". If the creature is not in the zone, you don't get the option to teleport them when they start their turn. If they can not start their turn, say Dead, you can not teleport them.

Last edited:

Samir

Explorer
The RAW also allows the DM to restrict the number of free actions when he feels its appropriate.
Of course, but that doesn't mean this power doesn't need errata.

Tale's point is not the number of creatures ... it's the rinse and repeat (teleport, drop back into the target square and teleport again) during the same round on the same target.
The point still stands, and this still works.

Trigger is "Starts his turn in the zone". If the creature is not in the zone, you don't get the option to teleport them when they start their turn.
This is incorrect. The first effect of this power is triggered when a creature starts its turn near the zone, and lets you pull it as a free action.

However, the second effect of this power ("As a free action, you can teleport a creature within the zone 3 squares") is not triggered at all, nor any way tied to the first effect. In fact, if for some reason the original target of the power is still in its original square (say you tried to teleport it up and it succeeded its save, or you opted to not teleport it at all), you can use this effect to teleport it 3 squares while it's still your turn.

Thus, RAW, you can continually teleport a creature in the zone up until the DM orders you to stop.

jester_gl

First Post
The simplest clarification might be to specify that the teleport must be to outside the zone.

I think this would not be enough because the zone could still be beside a cliff/lava pit. If you teleport him there, he normally gets a save but you can force that save as many time as you need to get rid of the creature.

I think the fact that it is as a free action is wrong. Once per round would not work either due to the fact that many free action could still be taken, even if a lot less than infinite.

Once per creature would kill this abuse. If the target actually save against the damaging teleport attempt, then the square will be blocked for future creature unless it moves away by itself. On the other hand, the functionality would remain the same for most players who would just use this power as "intended".

Anyway, a level 1 power that has the potential for so much abuse should have some limitation, imho.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads