D&D 2E Infinite Elf Generator/Xp mill

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Im the 2e necromancer splatbook it mentions that they would gain 1xp for digging a grave. Presumably they are allowed to use tools to do this...so that should apply to a shovel or a skeleton they control wielding a shovel.

Insert massive field of animated skeletons repeatedly digging graves over and over for a nice daily XP boost.

*Yes...nobody plays like this.

Celebrim

Legend
Doesn't work.

In 2e AD&D NPCs and PCs use different rules. It's not clear what the XP would be for a PC elf, but it certainly wouldn't be the same as an NPC elf.

And in any event, XP farms don't work in any addition because actually awarded XP are scaled to the challenge. If you do something to reduce the challenge to nothing, then the XP award is also nothing.

Zardnaar

Legend
Doesn't work.

In 2e AD&D NPCs and PCs use different rules. It's not clear what the XP would be for a PC elf, but it certainly wouldn't be the same as an NPC elf.

And in any event, XP farms don't work in any addition because actually awarded XP are scaled to the challenge. If you do something to reduce the challenge to nothing, then the XP award is also nothing.

They use the same rules for xp at least. NPC classes you defeat use same xp table as monsters.

Elf racial abilities although minor tick the right boxes for bonus xp eg spell resistance.

Yora

Legend
I think it was in 2nd edition where some of the slaads have a chance to summon a number of other slaads of the same type that puts the average per summon above 1. Which in turn also can use their summon ability.

Just one of them has the potential to cause a cascading chain reaction of summoning infinite numbers of slaads.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
not that we really know jack or squat about real druids
Nobody knows who they were…or…what they were doing.

1692770444180.gif

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I started playing at the tail end of the 3.5 era, so maybe I just don't "get" it. But man, some of the race/class restrictions make no sense. What is it with Elves not being allowed as Druids in AD&D? ELVES? The race whose schtick from since Tolkien has been being supernaturally in tune with nature and living in trees? THOSE guys can't be druids but humans can?!
Yep. There’s many instances in D&D’s history where the mechanics & lore don’t marry up. Sometimes, it’s because of an edition transition, but not always.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I started playing at the tail end of the 3.5 era, so maybe I just don't "get" it. But man, some of the race/class restrictions make no sense. What is it with Elves not being allowed as Druids in AD&D? ELVES? The race whose schtick from since Tolkien has been being supernaturally in tune with nature and living in trees? THOSE guys can't be druids but humans can?!
If you use Unearthed Arcana, the options are expanded and elves can be druids.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com

Druids didn't really solidify into the "generic hippy-dippy nature-caster" niche until 3e. In 2e, the text of the DMG was explicit about only humans and half-elves being druids because druidry was a human religion. Halflings actually lost the ability to be druids between 1e and 2e to conform to that stipulation.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
It should probably also be noted that different settings changed the rules on what classes were available to demihumans, sometimes limiting class availability based on subrace.

Remove ads