• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Info from the WotC 2007 January to April Catalog

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Funny, Ivid, I felt the exact opposite about this year versus the start of 1st quarter 2007 so far. We'll just have to wait and see.

Razz

Banned
Banned
Banshee16 said:
Personally, I hope that it's not part of a new edition strategy. Do we honestly *need* a new edition right now? Truly? The game seems to work pretty well. It's not like 2nd Ed. where things really needed to be fixed. And, looking on the boards, I doubt there's much agreement about what *should* be fixed.

I almost gave up on WotC when they released one of their software products, I think an expansion to their character creator, two months before announcing 3E.

Banshee

My thoughts exactly. With so much optional material in non-core books, 3rd Party products, house rules, and Unearthed Arcana...I really don't see a reason for a 4E at all. There's nothing to do with 4E that 3E cannot accomplish on its own, other than destroy the "sacred cows." Also, they just released Eberron and it'd be really really foolish to drop all the Eberron players into a frenzy with a 4E.

As for the other poster here worried about the slump with the FR setting, I am feeling it too. And a THREE book mega-adventure? THREE BOOKS!? Hmmm....that really worries me a lot.

You know what it is, they're devoting more attention to Eberron it seems. LOL Not that I have anything against Eberron, but who knows. 2006 was the year of "Test New Stuff" (hence Mysteries of the Moonsea and Monster Manual 4), maybe 2007 is "Year of Mega Adventures"?

reanjr

First Post
Complete Scoundrel - Intrigue should be covered by a Heroes of Intrigue book and not tacked on to this. We''l see.

Dungeonscape - If this is really good it could be pretty nice to have to spark ideas for dungeons. I personally find it difficult to run a good dungeon adventure because I dislike combat and hate dungeons that are encounter after encounter. Hopefully this will give me some new good ideas to build dungeons from.

Magic Item Compendium - Marginally useful I suppose to have everything in one spot. I would have preferred a 224 page guide on pricing magic items so players are encouraged to actually be creative and design their own (something completely lost in 3e).

I'm ambivalent or uncaring about everything else.

Mercule

Adventurer
thalmin said:
Roleplaying

A D&D Supplement
Complete Scoundrel
Mike McArtor and Wesley Schneider
New options for characters that enjoy deception, mischief, skullduggery and intrigue.

Complete Scoundrel is the latest in the "Complete" series of player-friendly supplements that focuses on the scoundrel archetype and provides new rules options for characters who enjoy intrigue, skullduggery, and subterfuge. This book also helps Dungeon Masters run intrigue-laced campaigns.
In addition to presenting various "scoundrel" archetypes for characters, it includes new feats and prestige classes that serve these archetypes, as well as new tricks, spells, equipment, and magic items.
For the Dungeon Master, this book contains information on how to create adventures and campaigns laced with intrigue that will appeal to groups that includes one or more scoundrel-type characters.
January 16, 2007
Hardcover, 160 pages, $29.95/$37.95 CAN

Dunno what to think of this. Even if it's well written, I'm getting burned out on crunch. Kinda feel like I could go for a decade or two. On the other hand, there are a lot of rogue-lovers in my group.

A D&D Supplement
Dungeonscape
Jason Bulmahn and Rich Burlew

Dungeonscape is the lastest in the "Environment" series of player-and Dungeon Master-friendly supplements. It focuses on a particular type of terrain, in this case the dungeon. It presents new character options for characters that like to explore dungeons, as well as tools for Dungeon Masters to create exciting and memorable dungeon environments.
Dungeonscape is a book about exploring and building fantastic dungeons. It gives players exciting new options for their dungeon-delving characters, and it gives Dungeon Masters the specific tools they need to create interesting and fun dungeon encounters and envirnments with little effort. The book includes new feats, new teamwork benefits, dungeon survival gear and tips, information on delving guilds, and ready-to-use dungeon encounters and maps.
February 13, 2007
Saddle-stitched 160 pages
$29.95/$37.95 CAN

This might be pretty cool. There's plenty of room to screw it up, but, done right, it'd be an excellent addition to my library. Pretty high on my anticipation list.

A D&D Supplement
Magic Item Compendium
Andy Collins, Mike Mearls, and Stephen Schubert
Additional design by Eytan Bernstein, Frank Brunner, John Snead, and Owen K.C. Stephens

This Supplement for the Dungeons & Dragons game presents over 500 new magic items, including affordable items no adventurer should ever be without, as well as more than 750 of the best magic items from previously publishedD&D game supplements and campaign settings, Dragon magazine articles, and articles posted on the Wizards of the Coast website.
Each magic item is presented and catalogues in a new, easy-to-reference format that includes a read-aloud text description of the item.
March 6, 2007
224 page Hardcover
$34.95/$44.95 CAN

1250 magic items? That sounds like a lot. Anyone know roughly how many are in the DMG?

An Eberron Super-Adventure
Curse of the Dragon's Eye
Stephen Shubert, Tim Hitchcock, and Nicholas Logue

Could be neat. We'll still be in the middle of AoW, though.

Miniatures

D&D Icons Gargantuan Blue Dragon

I like blue dragons. This is pretty much guaranteed, unless it turns out to be horribly disfigured or something.

D&D Miniatures Unhallowed Booster Pack

This latest D&D Miniatures Game release includes several infamous D&D characters and popular D&D monsters. Undead and other creatures of darkness figure prominently in the set. Various figures are drawn from key D&D titles, including the Expanded Psionic Handbook and various Eberron and Forgotten Realms supplements.
Four miniatures - one per faction - also have a second stat card that features epic-level stats specifically for high-level versions of those figures.
Eight randomized, pre-painted plastic miniatures.
March 9, 2007
$14.95/$19.95 CAN

Undead and "other creatures of darkness" pretty well describes the sort of bad guys I like to use, IMC. Very high odds of a buy, here. It almost sounds like it was made for me.

Mortellan

Explorer
I'm not impressed about this mega-adventure buzz. Paizo has been ahead of that game for a few years, so WotC is just coming back to them due to the success of materials like Maure Castle, Shackled City and soon to be Age of Worms. Tsk.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Mortellan said:
I'm not impressed about this mega-adventure buzz. Paizo has been ahead of that game for a few years, so WotC is just coming back to them due to the success of materials like Maure Castle, Shackled City and soon to be Age of Worms. Tsk.
What's the issue? WotC should be banned from doing them because other people are successful at it?

Remove ads