• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Initial D&D Next Releases Showing Up on Barnes & Noble Website

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Movies tend to my go-to comparison. How does <product X> compare to an evening at the movies with popcorn and a drink. Which is like $15-20 for a couple hours.

Seems like you should have to add the beer and munchies into your D&D session cost if you're forking over the dough for movie popcorn and soda. ($1.50 an hour more then? So it's still cheaper.)

Emirikol

Adventurer
Call me gun-shy..I'm ecstatic to be buying the starter set...for the first time since 1981, I'll be scrutinizing it through this box (or whatever it will be) prior to chancing it like I did with 4e.

I wonder if they'll do it up like the Pathfinder Set (only not packing quite so much unnecessary info into the statistical columns)?

I look forward to it. I think it is going to be perfect (at the basic level) to enjoy with my kids.

[edit: I"m disappointed that there won't be a skill set in the intro box..my games tend to be more skill check heavy than monster-kill zoo-a-thon's..oh well, there's always that playtest packet :)]

[edit: $50..and that's just for ONE of the THREE books ]

Last edited:

Well, it looks like the first information has started to leak out to bookstores, as the following products can be found on barnesandnoble.com

D&D Starter Set, releasing July 15, 2014, list price $19.95

D&D Player's Handbook, releasing August 19, 2014, list price $49.95

That's a pretty pricey Player's Handbook. Not out of line for RPGs nowadays, but if they're sticking with the 3-book model, with all the books priced the same, that could add up awfully quickly.

This is possibly too steep for me. I am not concerned buying a single rulebook from a small publisher that charges fifty bucks because it is pod or a small print run (happily paid that for Numenera). But fifty bucks for a players handbook from WOTC, when I also have to buy the MM and the DMG? It feels a
bit high.

Remathilis

Legend
The $20 box set is about where I'd want that. However, WotC REALLY needs to decide what they want out of it.

1.) An easy, hand-holding intro to RPGs that is designed to tease them into buying the PHB, or
2.) A simplified D&D that is complete in itself, but as players grow and expand (and want more options) they begin to pick up the Core Books.

Option 1 is the Basic Box Set system of 3e and 4e; option 2 is the Basic/Advanced split during 1e and 2e.

Personally, I think they are better off with 2. Lots of children growing up have familiarity with video games (Skyrim, Dragon Age, etc) so the idea of a hand-holding "this is how you role-play" system isn't going to cut it. They will want to make their own stories and characters, so the best way to do that is to strip the system down to brass tacks, give them the tools to make their own heroes and adventures (with a few sample of the latter) and then, when they get bored with just dwarven fighters, +1 swords, orcs and skeletons; they buy the PHB (Yay! seven new races, six new classes, and customization up the wazoo!), DMG (new traps, magic items, and advice for beyond dungeon crawls) and MM (300 new monsters to slay).

To put it another way: WotC would be better off making a $20 game that can be expanded into the full system rathern and a glorified demo.

THAT SAID

$50 bucks for the PHB? Yeesh! I know inflation is what it is, but I KNOW for a fact they are going to have a hard time convincing us $150 for the Holy Trilogy is sound when Pathfinder is a $90 dollar buy in. ($130 if you count the completely optional Gamemastery Guide). However, that does assume the three books will be of equal size and cost; I could see the DMG going for $30, MM for $40 ($120 for the set) with the PHB being biggest and most expensive due to the "core rules" being in it. (DMG for magic items, advice and optional rules; MM for beasties). We'll see on that.

I'll probably buy the Starter Set (unless it ends up a glorified demo ala 4e) and wait on the rest until more info comes out.

Obryn

Hero
It's pricy....but lets do a value calculation.

If I run one 5e campaign of about 1 year in length, playing each week for 52 weeks, for 4 hours each session...that's 208 hours. Divide $150 (assuming the Three Core Books model) by that to get $/hr, and with a little rounding for neatness, we've got $0.75 per hour.

Is 5eD&D worth $0.75/hr to me and four of my friends (which, if I got them to help me buy the books, we'd have about $0.15/hr/person)? Yeah, I think so. I spend significantly more when I hit the pubs for a night.
...Or you can compare to the number of excellent complete RPGs you can get for $20, $10, or even $free. At which point the value proposition becomes less clear. Or to the cost of playing the games you already have.

pukunui

Legend
Has anyone considered whether the "starter set" might actually be a miniatures product rather than a basic game product? Just a thought ...

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
It cost four of us £50 to see Robocop the other night. It lasted under two hours.
That's what i was telling someone on Facebook. When i go to watch a movie at the theater with the kids, it can easily cost me $50 in tickets, popcorn, drinks for a single evening :)

D&D has so much replay value in comparison! My old beaten 2E PHB that cost me $20 has seen so much use in the last 2 decades (and still does) that its ridiculous in terms of entertainment cost dollar-for-dollar

Last edited:

Obryn

Hero
It cost four of us £50 to see Robocop the other night. It lasted under two hours.

That's what i was telling someone on Facebook. When i go to watch a movie at the theater with the kids, it cost me $50 in tickets, popcorn, drinks for a single evening :)
We're all gamers, and I think it's safe to know that everyone here understands that RPGs can be one of the best entertainment bargains out there. However, there's lots of games out there. Good games, well-made games, games you can play for years, that cost even less.

Second, I know some of us (like me) were planning on getting Next out of a mix of brand loyalty and optimism. A $150 list price is out of my comfort zone for a game I'm not sure I'll ever run or play. This pushes me from pre-ordering the core books, to waiting and seeing how it looks before buying anything. I may not end up as a lost sale, but I'm not a certain sale anymore.

Remove ads