D&D 5E Initial D&D Next Releases Showing Up on Barnes & Noble Website

Dire Bare

Legend
So it will be about $29.97 (40% off) on Amazon? Seems fine to me.

While all the whining about price points I find irritating, keep in mind that FLGS's will not be able to match those online discounts of 24-40%. If you are someone who likes to support your local store, it's likely going to be at full price. I'll be doing it, but I can totally understand folks who purchase from Amazon or elsewhere online.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
While all the whining about price points I find irritating, keep in mind that FLGS's will not be able to match those online discounts of 24-40%. If you are someone who likes to support your local store, it's likely going to be at full price. I'll be doing it, but I can totally understand folks who purchase from Amazon or elsewhere online.

The three nearest three game stores to me are not friendly places. So the nearest FLGS is so far away as to cost too much in gas and time to get there and back to justify it most of the time.

Dire Bare

Legend
Maaaybe in the internet echo chamber, but that's hardly a scientific sample.

Yup. I'm 99% certain that the D&D fan base is not nearly as "fractured" or "indifferent" as internet doom-sayers like to say they are. While gamers in general can certainly be a stubborn and cranky lot, those of us who hang out on message forums are hardly representative of gamers as a whole. And WotC knows that because they actually do a lot of quality customer research.

My unscientific prediction: the 5E PHB will sell very well, and may even break sales records for the 4E PHB (which in turn, broke sales records of the 3E PHB). If the line continues to be profitable after that, depends on a lot of factors, we'll just have to wait and see.

If the books cost $50 each it is $150 for the core (plus tax, where I live it is 6.5% so $159.75)

now most likely the very next month will have the next book... imagine what it looks like in a year... 9-12 books.

Lets say next year at gen con there will be a new book lets say that makes 9 books (year right) that is to have the game it will be $50x9... $450+ tax...in my stat $479.50

$50 a book is crazy... look at a $30 book instead

$90 for the core and 9-12 books more would be 270-360 more... $450 would be if there were 12 books... so over a year we would get 3 more books...

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
Inflation calculators don't even figure in my "customer buying" decision. I make a heck of a lot more today than I did in 2000 with 3e, and even more than I made in 2008 with 4e. At $50 this really tips the scales of value for me.

Good point. My situation is such that I'm in the opposite position and so shouldn't be relied upon too much.

The rest, publishers can tell you, is likely related to the increased cost of printing. $50 is the new gaming entry price point though, for board games, miniature games (per player), and RPGs (because Pathfinder).

If $50 really is the entry point, then in and of itself, it's not too bad. You mention Pathfinder, and FFG seems to be doing all right with its Star Wars games, which are $60 for the book and $15 for dice.

No, my concern is if they follow the 3E/3.5E/4E model of "all three core books cost the same" and the DMG and MM are vitally necessary to get a game running. If those two books come out less expensive, and/or can be done without at first (DMG as primarily guidance and rules modules, and adventures that contain monster info without referring you to the MM), then it substantially mitigates the issue.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
If the books cost $50 each it is $150 for the core (plus tax, where I live it is 6.5% so $159.75)

now most likely the very next month will have the next book... imagine what it looks like in a year... 9-12 books.

Lets say next year at gen con there will be a new book lets say that makes 9 books (year right) that is to have the game it will be $50x9... $450+ tax...in my stat $479.50

$50 a book is crazy... look at a $30 book instead

$90 for the core and 9-12 books more would be 270-360 more... $450 would be if there were 12 books... so over a year we would get 3 more books...

Thats if they stick to one book a month, iirc, they talked about lowering the rate of rule books publishing in favor of quality books, I have no idea how many books per month WotC published in the past though...

Warder

Remove ads