D&D 3E/3.5 Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil (3.5)

Rhun

First Post
Bottom line, for general purpose campaigns there are better ways to spend your money (opportunity cost), even on the margin.

In other words, that 18,000 might not be too high of cost for a PC, unless spending it is going to leave him say 15,000 short of buying his Staff of Utter Devastation or some such. :D

Alexander123

First Post
In all seriousness, although the next part of my post will contain sarcasm, I mean this part earnestly: if the veils are cheap to you, they do what you want, and you like them as general items to have, then what are you looking for in this thread? I would try to help, but I no longer understand the question. You seem to have EXACTLY what you want.

You seem to have misunderstood the purpose of the OP. My OP was not asking a question. It was making an observation.

Jhaelen

First Post
Have never seen an optimized build on any site that includes wearing 7 veils.
Then you've obviously never seen a build that was optimized to defeat an Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil ;)

IOW, of course, it's situational! It's supposed to be optimized in a single, very specific situation.

Most OP builds have the goal of optimizing DPR, measured by assuming you're attacking an immobile block of tofu on an empty plain.

Other builds try to optimize AC, etc.

And then there are builds that try to be 'optimal' in as many situations as possible. But that's obviously a lot more difficult than optimizing a single aspect of a pc or optimizing for a single situation... ...and it's totally unrelated to the OP.

kitcik

Adventurer
Then you've obviously never seen a build that was optimized to defeat an Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil ;)

IOW, of course, it's situational! It's supposed to be optimized in a single, very specific situation.

Most OP builds have the goal of optimizing DPR, measured by assuming you're attacking an immobile block of tofu on an empty plain.

Other builds try to optimize AC, etc.

And then there are builds that try to be 'optimal' in as many situations as possible. But that's obviously a lot more difficult than optimizing a single aspect of a pc or optimizing for a single situation... ...and it's totally unrelated to the OP.

You just totally agreed with me, even though for some reason you think you disagreed. The point being that maybe the veils are needed (and therefore optimal) in this campaign, but we THOUGHT the point of the post was to try to come up with a solution that was more "optimal" in that it was less situational or more efficient.

Unfortunately, the point of the original post was apparently to simply put the forum on alert that if you are in a campaign which is heavily based on defeating Initiates of the Seven Fold Veil, then you should carry around the 7 veils (or at elast 2 of them).

On that note, you say "... and it's totally unrelated to the OP." --> sorry for actually trying to create a discussion. I thought that's what threads are for, but I feel suitably chastised - now I know that some threads are meant to be just single-post alerts. I will try to no longer reply to these types of threads.

Rhun

First Post
Unfortunately, the point of the original post was apparently to simply put the forum on alert that if you are in a campaign which is heavily based on defeating Initiates of the Seven Fold Veil, then you should carry around the 7 veils (or at elast 2 of them)..

On a side note, that could make for a pretty cool campaign. Defeat the Seven Fold Veil!

Alexander123

First Post
You just totally agreed with me, even though for some reason you think you disagreed. The point being that maybe the veils are needed (and therefore optimal) in this campaign, but we THOUGHT the point of the post was to try to come up with a solution that was more "optimal" in that it was less situational or more efficient.

Unfortunately, the point of the original post was apparently to simply put the forum on alert that if you are in a campaign which is heavily based on defeating Initiates of the Seven Fold Veil, then you should carry around the 7 veils (or at elast 2 of them).

On that note, you say "... and it's totally unrelated to the OP." --> sorry for actually trying to create a discussion. I thought that's what threads are for, but I feel suitably chastised - now I know that some threads are meant to be just single-post alerts. I will try to no longer reply to these types of threads.

You can reply to the thread but nowhere in my original post did I ask for a more optimal means of defeating IotSV's.

Of course, feel to to post that you think it is inefficient and situational.

My post was not meant to be a single-post alert but I did want to post my thoughts on a strategy to defeat the IotSV or any prismatic effect really.

Rhun

First Post
My post was not meant to be a single-post alert but I did want to post my thoughts on a strategy to defeat the IotSV or any prismatic effect really.

Right. I think kitcik and myself were merely wondering why you would have to come up with a strategy for that, as we haven't found it to be common in our games. I'm not saying it wouldn't effectively beat an IotSV. I just wasn't sure why you would ever need to?

Alexander123

First Post
Right. I think kitcik and myself were merely wondering why you would have to come up with a strategy for that, as we haven't found it to be common in our games. I'm not saying it wouldn't effectively beat an IotSV. I just wasn't sure why you would ever need to?

Well, IotSVs are tough to beat and when I came across the Seven Veils set I thought this would be the perfect thing to defeat IotSV and I wanted to share this with the boards.

Remove ads