• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Inquisitor build questions

Drasek

First Post
I'm currently building a human Inquisitor and I need some advice.
His stats (beginning at level 8) are:
STR 16
CON 16
DEX 13
INT 10
WIS 16
CHA 10

He will have a two-handed weapon and after reading various guides and posts I'm wondering if the following feats will be useful:
Power Attack --> Furious Focus
Weapon Focus --> Dazzling Display, Shatter Defenses
and later get some critical ones.
Am I missing other useful feats?

About skills. I will max out Perception-Intimidation. I'm thinking that Sense Motive is not so useful as I have the Discern Lies ability. Is Spellcraft really useful for an Inquisitor? I think Knowledge Arcana will be better.

Favoured class: I don't really need the skill points and with my CON the hit points are around 70+ at 8th level. Should I get the hit points or the additional known spell?

And lastly my domains are: Chaos, Good, Strength, Storm, War.
Any opinions for the best pick?

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Inquisitors are a hybrid kinf of class that is very flexible and can do several things well without really focusing on one specific role.

Do you know what the other party members are playing and what they may be lacking? Personally, I always try to fill gaps in party composition, but if you're not the sort, you need to decide if you want to be more Fighter, Spellcaster, or Skill Monkey.

It looks as though you're opting for the warrior type, so your stat allocation looks solid.

Intimidate works off Charisma; Perception works off Wisdom.

Knowledge skills power your ability to ID weaknesses/abilities of monsters. You will definitely want at LEAST K: Religion (undead) and K: Planes (outsiders). K: Arcana (magical creatures, constructs, dragons) is also useful if you don't have much Wizard support.

Favored class: You have a very limited spell list. The more spells you can access, the better.

Domains: War has an amazing sub-domain called Tactics that allows you to choose a player to roll their Initiative twice before combat, taking the higher amount... and that's 6 times/day with your Wis bonus.

I don't recall a Storm domain in Pathfinder... which God/dess is your patron?

jpmg90

Villager
Is Spellcraft really useful for an Inquisitor?

As Herobizkit has noted, Inquisitor can fit a multitude of different roles. If you intend to be very pious and ensure that you are catching anyone using 'bad' magic based on what kind of actions merits 'retribution' then Spellcraft would be good for identifying spells cast by other spell casters, or identifying magic items.

But if you have a Wizard or similar in the party this might not be necessary.

Ramaster

Adventurer
Spellcraft is pretty useful, even if there is already someone else who has access to that skill; redundancy here is quite good.

The feats seem about right. I personally don't like dazzling display, but each to his own. Depending on your race, you might qualify for some other useful feat, so you might want to check that out.

Travel is a awesome domain. The dimensional door ability as a move action is great, so is the freedom of movement (especially for characters that relay on getting right next to for foes to do damage) and the increased (+10) movement speed.

Bear in mind that inquisitor has the 3/4 BAB, so bumping your SRT to 18 (with a belt of STR or something like that) might be desirable. It will also give you +2 DMG with your two-handed weapon.

Which weapon are you going to use? Probably the best choices for two-handed are: Greatsword, Falchion, Scythe and Fauchard (Exotic). Keep this in mind!

Drasek

First Post
Thanks guys for your help. Some clarifications/questions:

@Herobizkit
Actually I know the other party members, but without wanting to sound selfish I had already envisioned my character as melee based. Also I chose a military god of FR.

As I begin in a relatively good level I put one rank in all my knowledges (Arc, Dun, Nat, Pla, Rel) and I have some more points to spend in two of them.
I chose Arcana and Religion, maybe I'll substitute Arcana with Planes.

As I have a good CON and I rolled good hit points, I chose the spells as you said for favored class bonus. The slots are very few and everything counts.

If I get a domain, I also get the subdomains? I didn't know that to be honest. Storms are a subdomain of weather.
I liked Good and War from what I read.
[MENTION=6701791]jpmg90[/MENTION] Spellcraft is very useful for a wizard, but in my case it would limit itself in identification of items (which can be repeated if fails) and the identification of spells which is nice for sure, but not that crucial for my character. I put some ranks in it, but not that many. I think I prefer something like Knowledge Arcana. I may be wrong though.

@Ramaster, I'm also not sure about Dazzling Display as I will have this spell too. Any other feats that could help me? As I will have a falchionfor weapon I'm thinking of crit feats later on. But what about substituting Dazzling Display? (Although it's nice for RP reasons too).

jpmg90

Villager
I think I prefer something like Knowledge Arcana. I may be wrong though.

I think it really depends on how your GM runs as to how useful Knowledge Arcana or Spellcraft will be. It also depends on how you in-vision your character. Being more Melee, I think you are good in only putting a few points into it. (as long as you are trained you at least roll it any time it comes up for anyone else. and if you have the Skill points to spend, why not?)

Ramaster

Adventurer
@Ramaster, I'm also not sure about Dazzling Display as I will have this spell too. Any other feats that could help me? As I will have a falchionfor weapon I'm thinking of crit feats later on. But what about substituting Dazzling Display? (Although it's nice for RP reasons too).

Step up is devastating for two-handed users.

Falchion happens to be my favorite weapon! Swing away!

Drasek

First Post
I put some ranks into Spellcraft just in case, haven't decided about Domain and the last feat yet.
Any advice on Teamwork feats? I have no experience with them and with the Solo thing I think they could be helpful.

Ramaster

Adventurer
I put some ranks into Spellcraft just in case, haven't decided about Domain and the last feat yet.
Any advice on Teamwork feats? I have no experience with them and with the Solo thing I think they could be helpful.

They are quite useless, IMO.

Take the Preacher Archetype, it gets rid your teamwork feats and gives you some nice perks. They can even be used as free actions, not immediate!

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/bas...etypes/paizo---inquisitor-archetypes/preacher

Last edited:

Remove ads