D&D General Inquisitor class

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Assuming this is 5e, since you didn't specify edition. ("Witch" makes me think maybe Pathfinder?)

Ironically, I could actually see Warlock working for this. Great Old One pact reflavored as paranormal investigation, Tome pact flavored as your records of those you've put to the question. You can probe the minds of others, but your own thoughts are shielded. Load up on ritual spells if possible, and flavor what spells you use to fit.

Paladin is probably the stronger choice overall. Just struck me that GOO/Tome goes surprisingly far for the concept.

Any class that can cast Zone of Truth, so Cleric, Bard or Paladin.

Zone of Truth + the authority to compel suspects to answer questions is really the only thing you need for a successful inquisition.

Assuming this is 5e, since you didn't specify edition. ("Witch" makes me think maybe Pathfinder?)
True, although Pathfinder has an Inquisitor class, which is a basically a multiclassed cleric/rogue (with bardlike stuff).

Mechanically, an Order domain cleric would work. Or any class that had fear, surprise and ruthless efficiency amongst their weapons.

But some of this ties into world-building. Does the setting have any religious organisations that sends out agents to root out heresy, and if so, what are they like?

World Building Idea:

The state region is the god of joy and happiness. The inquisition (AKA The Happiness Patrol) rounds up any citizens who are not sufficiently happy. If they do not become happy under torture they are executed by a golem made from liquorish flavour sweets.

Last edited:

The Ravenloft setting has the Ulmist Inquisition. They are three orders, all of which use magic refuffed as psionics, but are basically psionic warlocks, psionic wizards and psionic rangers.

And what about avenger class from 4th Ed?

1707054868275.png

Remove ads