D&D General Inquisitor class

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
Since nobody else has mentioned it yet, there's also the Inquisitive Rogue from Xanathar's. It would seem to play as a polar opposite of the Oath of the Watchers paladin, carrying out it's inquisition in a less holier-than-thou, more seedy manner.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Honestly, zone of truth should be a ritual, and I'm really not sure why it isn't.
My only thought on this (for this spell and several others) is that because the 5E14 Wizard was given the ability to cast rituals in their spellbook even if they hadn't prepared them for the day... it would increase the amount of magic the Wizard would take care of for the party at the detriment of the other classes. The other classes with Zone of Truth would virtually never use them if there was a Wizard in the party, so there would be no reason for those classes to prepare the spell (since they'd have to have it prepared in order to cast it as a ritual themselves) making those spells on those other class's spell lists almost superfluous.

I have no idea if this indeed was their thoughts on the matter as to why there were so few rituals (especially rituals of higher levels)... but it's the only thing I've been able to think of. They didn't want to make the Wizard even more powerful. Granted... they probably would have been better off just removing some of those spells from the Wizard list and then making them rituals for the other classes... but what's done is done. We now have to individually make them rituals at our own table if that's what we choose to do.

In DnD an inquisition can take many forms and search to eliminate many kind of threats. So you must specify what the inquisition is about before calling how a class is view by the inquisitor.

Stormonu

Legend
I made an inquisitor Paladin subclass, loosely based on the Demon Hunter class from Diablo III. Basically, making a paladin that can smite via ranged attack.

Remove ads