• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Insider and Sharing

Nightson

First Post
So, having no ability to wade through complicated legal speak, I figured I'd ask here if this is alright. I have insider while my players do not. Some of them are of the opinion that the five updates are meant to help groups run the software off one account. So I figured I'd ask here whether such a thing is okay by WotC.

avin

First Post
Five updates, 5 players and a DM = 6 :p

I guess it's more like: PC at home, notebook, PC at work, etc.

malraux

First Post
So, having no ability to wade through complicated legal speak, I figured I'd ask here if this is alright. I have insider while my players do not. Some of them are of the opinion that the five updates are meant to help groups run the software off one account. So I figured I'd ask here whether such a thing is okay by WotC.

There doesn't seem to be a strong attempt to stop this sort of thing. The place to check is the Terms of Service. Also, you'll have to give out your password, so you'll need to trust your players.

Dannager

First Post
Five updates, 5 players and a DM = 6 :p

I guess it's more like: PC at home, notebook, PC at work, etc.
It's worth noting that the Character Builder isn't exactly intended as a DM tool. It doesn't do anything but make player characters.

avin

First Post
Maybe it's not what they intended but it's a terrific tool. On 3.5 my players usually ignored errata (which was mostly bad for them), had no good control on received items, their skills were wrong, etc.

Heck, even my starting 4E campaign alll 4 players had errors on their sheets: feats they couldn' use because they didn't had prerequisites, "extra" points on abilities, lacking points on skills...

Now they create their characters on CB and e-mail them to me.

Before the game I print their sheets.

They take notes, add money, add items during game.

After session I take it back, insert all changes on CB and e-mail back their characters.

the Jester

Legend
My group has done exactly this. Before we did I posted a similar thread, and no WotC folks chimed in to encourage or discourage me. On the whole, from what I've been able to determine, WotC is actually expecting groups to do this.

malraux

First Post
Minor note, the EULA associated with DDI does say it is for one person only (or two people if its with an adult and minor child above the age of 13). Of course, this could be something that WotC is looking the other way at for the moment.

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
Minor note, the EULA associated with DDI does say it is for one person only (or two people if its with an adult and minor child above the age of 13). Of course, this could be something that WotC is looking the other way at for the moment.

EULA is not enforceable; historically, EULA have never held weight in court. Plus, I don't honestly think that WotC is going to pursue something as silly as this.

They likely turn a blind eye towards it, as they have no way to track who's using it (beyond the logged IPs where the game has been installed across five computers per update).

Remove ads